Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Two Ton Trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctb, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's mine not going to Hot Rod it just get it running and safe.1961 F600 Coleman 4x4 conversion .[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Shortening the stock frame is not hard on the 51 as the rails are straight. The reason I swapped frames on mine was that I wanted to drop it more than a foot. If you are going to run the 2 ton front end, you need to keep the bed at least 8 ft long to balance it length wise. I have seen a couple cut down for a 6' stock box and they look very stubby. If the dump works on the one you found, I would keep the hydraulics and run a dumping flat deck. With stake pockets, it's very handy. Here's a pick of a 59 I am just finishing up with a friend. ImageUploadedByTJJ1367329447.121027.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. inlinr6

inlinr6

Mine is a 3 ton grain truck shortened to a short box,I'll get to it someday.

Attached Files:

4. castirondude

castirondude

Wow a 4x4!
    If I didn't have too many projects already i'd love to pick something like that up.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

5. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

Dad and I went halfers on this one but I don't think we are going to build it.Anyone interested?

Attached Files:

6. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

I'm with CASTIRONDUDE, only I'm not going to put a huge engine in 'er...

7. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Mines a bit more than 2 tons, getting it ready for a 5.9 cummins [​IMG]

8. G'day, Bought a cab over Chevy today and spent a good part of the day trying to get it dug out and moving. When we finally got it out to the road the lf brake was locked up tight. We banged, pried, lubed, tugged, and every other thing we could think of to get the brake loose. We finally hooked up to it again and drug it around the block. Left rear tires just smoked. There is no box on it so not enough weight to provide enough force to brake it free.

We ended up having to leave it behind. We are going back next Saturday with improved implements of destruction to get it home. We do have a really good ex-military tow bar to drag it once we get the brake loose. Trans is toast so we can't drive it home.

ms

9. phat rat

phat rat

Sounds like a situation where a trailer would be real handy

10. G'day, The truck is actually too big for our trailer. Since there is no box I even thought about pulling the outside duals and pulling it on backwards but we really weren't expecting this much problem. Of course the fellow we got it from negected to tell us that the truck had been almost completely covered with snow this winter. The truck was sitting in a mud hole and it was tough to get out.

We hadn't planned well for this but we thought that between the two guys in their 70's and the 58 year old that had a stroke two months ago, we did pretty damn good. We only need to get the truck about 10 miles to get home.

ms

11. Friend of mine has been doing a 37 dodge, 1.5 ton. He lopped a couple feet out of the frame, changed wheels/tires etc. and now has a well proportioned rig that he is comfy climbing into (BIG guy). Looks pretty cool and I'll try to get a pic or two. After I saw that I've been eyeing an old Stude truck with with the weasel nose that a neighbor has. Need another project like I need another wife though, so it ain't gonna happen!

12. gma1965

gma1965

Have you decided what you are doing with your truck? I have a 44 1.5ton Chevy flatbed. I am considering using a pre-1998 dodge 4x4 chassis with Cummings diesel. Still looking for a Dodge to take some measurements from or if anyone has ideas would love to talk. Most of the conversions I see end up with the front wheels too wide. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Take a look at this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33608333@N06/6024396407/in/photostream/<o:p></o:p>
    Good luck,<o:p></o:p>
    Gary<o:p></o:p>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.