Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is your 10,000 lb two post lift safe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger Walling, May 11, 2013.

1. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

2. i think a friend of mine has the same lift!

not the failure i was thinking i would see.....i always think a two post lift is going to topple over

3. Uptown83

Uptown83

I have a Worth lift... Looks similar but I dont think it is.. They are all very similar. Worth is also American made.

4. it would have never failed if they would not have bypassed the power unit and added another stronger one, in other words, if the original power unit wasnt strong enough to lift 10,000#, then the arms would have never given out.
    I know its rated at 10k but its obviously not.

5. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I made sure to purchase ANSI certified lifts for my shop. Cost more but this video assures me that it is the right thing to do.

6. modeleh

modeleh

When they were finally able to get it to fail, they had the load totally unbalanced. The front of the load was way higher than the back. I don't think that was a very fair test.

7. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

I have a 10k two post in my shop now. Its not that brand and it looks a little bifferent but, l have always wondered how much of a sefety margin was built into the design of it. I have never lifted anything more than a late model sub on mine.

8. Weasel

Weasel

I would recommend that anyone considering purchasing a lift looks for ALI (American Lift Institute) certification - <cite>www.autolift.org/</cite>&#8206;. This is an independent testing and certification institute. When I purchased mine I went for a Rotary/Revolution as it is not only ALI certified but also their manufacturing is ISO 9001 certified. There is a lot of unsafe junk out there and a little bit of research can save a lot of problems....

9. Mattilac

Mattilac

I have a Greg Smith 9000lbs Atlas lift. Its a good lift but I only use it to lift 4500lbs or so at most. I think when buying a lift, its best to give yourself a big margin between what its rated for and what your vehicles weigh.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was loaded to simulate the weight distribution of a Dualie pickup or large van that you would expect to lift with a 10K rated lift. Even my
    front wheel drive daily driver that weight just over 4K has over 60% of the weight on the front end.

11. JEM

JEM

Just to recap, 'cause there's something buggered in your link:

http://www.autolift.org

12. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

Maybe the rear began to fail first. It was fair as long as the load was up to 1.5 times the rated capability. The unit was already a failure at 10K lbs because the motor could not lift the load. The 1.5 times load test was just to prove a point about the mislabeled product. All around, that unit failed.

13. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

This is industry approved testing methods. If you lift a vehicle, you also rarely have an equal load front to rear. If you lift and remove wheels, or a rear end, you change the balance anyways. 2 post lifts are supposed to accommodate this in their design. My old shop had the old centre post air powered hoist in the floor that I trusted way more than any 2 post lift. If I bought a floor mounted one. I think I would only go with 4 legs.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

I agree. I have a 9k greg smith Atlas. It lifts my old ford and jeeps without even grunting. I am well pleased with it.

15. BobMcD

BobMcD

Anyone know the brand lift that was tested?

16. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I just installed a rotary revolution 10k and it makes that thing look weak. Had a 6000 pound Tahoe on it the other night and it didnt act stressed at all. Shop for a quality lift!!!

17. I'm at work, new car dealer, parts dept. I look out right now, and see 5 Rotary Lift brand two posts.

Last place I worked had a few more than 5, all Rotary.

Every place on this block (8 dealers) all have Rotary Lift brand lifts.

I'm just sayin'

Cosmo

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the front was higher than the back because the back started to fail before the front.

19. HickTick

HickTick

What you lifting that is that heavy ?????

I worked on an armoured car one time .

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

If the powerunit is built like the rest of that lift, it could fail as well.

And get replaced with another one that is rated to 10K because the owner of that lift thinks thats what it is.

So it is not a impossible scenario, at all...

21. triumph 1

triumph 1

I have a forward 10k lb 2post lift that picks up dually diesel 4x4 trucks with ease. The steel columns are twice the size of other 2 post lifts I looked at.

22. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Anyone know how much a Dodge crew cab dually 4x4 with a diesel weighs? I know the engine itself is ~1100 pounds, so I would guess it's well into 8000 pound territory.

23. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

when I was looking into my lift, I remember reading somewhere that the lifts in order to pass a certifaction, they had to be able to lift over their capacity. so if its 10,000lb hoist it had to lift 15,000lb and not have any part fail.

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Power units are rated by pressure in pounds per square inch and most use the same 1800 psi pressure. To lift heavier things they use larger cylinders not higher pressure pumps. The pumps are available in higher horsepower units that pump more volume.
    Larger lifts use the higher horsepower pumps to lift the load faster as the larger cylinders use more volume to raise the load and would be very slow with the smaller pump.

I have a Rotary 4 post. I didn't want to have to bolt a hoist to the floor and I like being able to move the hoist with a vehicle on it.

25. maniac

maniac

No, but my Ford F-350 single wheel diesel weighs 7400 lbs with a full tank, and is nose heavy

26. Fenders

Fenders

Right, it's called "safety factor."

27. jkeesey

jkeesey

I have an old Rotary lift at my shop rated at 8,500 lbs and looks twice as strong as that spindley looking thing.

28. Cruiser

Cruiser

The welding on that lift looks very poorly done, most likely where the trouble started. I wonder if the lift was made in China.

CRUISER :cool:

29. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

That was not a bendpak

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

After watching the video again, I have some doubts about it. If it was a legitimate test at a legitimate facility, the name would be on the lift and would be disclosed in the video as would the name of the test facility. The fact that they wouldn't disclose it means they are either trying to avoid a lawsuit or they are trying to scare people into buying from them. Almost every hoist company offers a blue and yellow paint scheme. Many that I've seen offer red/yellow, black/yellow or blue/yellow.

There isn't even a capacity plate shown. It might be a 7000# lift for all we can tell. The fact that they had to modify the hydraulic system to lift the claimed rated capacity suggests it was a lower rated lift as the pump pressure should be set to only lift the rated capacity.