Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Ford Unibody LSR Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Mar 23, 2011.

1. kaui

kaui
    from SJC calif

Tim, looking forward to seeing you and Kathy next weekend.

2. Film at eleven! (well maybe in a few weeks anyway :p)

Now Tim we know you can build it faster than 11,....... whats the hold up,,...........<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

3. This is still the old engine (yes newer parts than the TRW 307 stuff) but still sounds good. I think. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G1hgNOH0Rfk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

ok ok so I watched that 5 times, so what ..
    damn that sounds good Tim

5. Not to worry, We have a piston design and a good head and manifold guy. ;) Thanks anyway.

[​IMG]

6. Ok, fair enough.

7. Panneton, thanks for the offer. The team appreciates it. You are tops for offering services up! In fact, I may need help on our Stovebolt lakester at some point! ;) W/O divulging more than Tim has said, between him and the network of Yblock freaks out there, this will be one radical engine.

Tim, we are 89 days out! WOW

8. I appreciate you kind words, from Tim's response, I wasn't sure, but it felt a little like I had offended him, and that was not my intent. On the contrary, I'm impressed with his success so far. The ole Y blocks have always intrigued me, and I thought it would be cool to get involved & make some pistons with the all the latest tricks. Call me at the shop when your ready.

9. No offence! I just didn't want you to think that all we ran was left over scrub parts. We have done a lot of research and use some custom made parts, although I still think it's fun to make do with what you can find for cheep. The engine with the 307 TRW pistons is what is currently running in the dragster in my avitar. I put that engine together for about $1000 (and a lot of labor) it makes a good 450+ HP. Not too bad although the Uni makes more on less cubes. The money and the refined stuff goes into the record efforts, the dragster is just for fun. Comments and advice is always welcome. ;)

10. Understatement of the day...this sure gives me the itch to gather the rest of the parts for the 341 in the 'Bird. Maybe a touch less cam though:p

I wish I still had the fellow's number that we got the truck from. He thought I was full of shit when I told him it was going to be a race truck!

11. We should just go by the guys house and give him a shirt and a photo. ;)

12. That would be fun!

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If you need a REAL race I have a Brew 102 shirt!

14. Stan left me a note, entry is A-OK

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Very cool, Tim!

If there's any help you need, this year, I'd love to lend a hand.

16. We can ALWAYS use your help Brent! You were awesome helping us in the windstorm last year! Thanks.

17. El Mirage season opener was Great! Although we didn't run as fast as in November it was still fun. Just hauled the truck down and drove it! Next month there will be a little more adjusting to the existing engine and I hope to have the new one together for July. If not Speed Week will be all we get for testing. I do plan to run the "Combo Course" this year if for no other reason it's something different.

Here's the second run at Elmo on Sunday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1tN2i-Wshio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Yes Brent come on by. I think we will be doing the BBQ again this year too. Correct Trent? :rolleyes:

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Looks like it was fun, Tim!

20. It's getting real close to Speed Week and I don't have my new engine built yet, let alone in the truck and ready to go. :eek: I do have my Block ready also a crank and rods. The problem has been pistons! I just got an email from Ted Eaton that reads "The pistons are on the way!". This is good news! I have a weight for piston, pin and rings now so I can balance the crank today then install the crank and cam in the block tomorrow. New ported Mummert Aluminum heads will be here first thing next week and the engine (baring any problems) should be ready to go in the truck next Saturday! :) Wish me luck! Looking for some speed increase this year at Bonneville! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what the crank looked like before I did a little clean up and "Knife edging". ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Tim, For us shade trees is there any specific reason to knife edge the crank? Lighten? easier to balance?

thanks

22. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Knife-edged crank is more aerodynamic/hydrodynamic. At the speeds it is turning, its ability to slice through the air-oil mixture in the crankcase makes a difference in how much horsepower is robbed just to turn it.

It also weighs less.

23. looks great Tim wishing ya all the best in Bonney

24. Good luck on your schedule, hope the parts suppliers, delivery guys, and lets not forget the speed gods see fit to make this happen for you.

25. It is always tight for time in some way shape or form.

26. Crap, double post!

27. I think he answers the question quite well although I think you wanted to know if it's needed for every day use and I would say no. It's a lot of work for little gain on the street. Every bit helps when racing. ;)

Thank you, I do hope all comes off as planned. I believe in one God over everything and I do hope he sees fit to bless me. He's been very good to me so far. :)

Thank you Lord!

28. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looking good Tim,, Nice work on the crank,,,, Good luck ,,,Tim Jones

29. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

30. Thank You! It turned out good in the balance also. The new pistons and rods are considerably lighter than the original Ford parts so there was still a lot of weight to be removed even after cutting the counterweights. (see the screen in the first photo)But with a little work all is well and ready to spin beyond 7000 rpm. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who don't know, the number in the top boxes left and right is the amount of weight in grams that needs to be removed from the front and rear of the crank respectively.

[​IMG]