Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Provost BUS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, May 11, 2013.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

A good friend of mine dug this Bus up a few months ago and has it parked on his Commercial property. I cant believe the amount of drive-bys that stop and take photos of it. So I thought you guys might want to have a look also. I dont know what his plans are for it. Larry

Attached Files:

2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

If that bus could talk just imagine the stories it could tell.

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I can see why all the hullabaloo. I'd stop too.

But I'd peek inside. Looks like a conversion. How about an interior shot or two?

Neat-o

4. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I could not get inside at the time, but I will try. Brandon, how about you do you have any inside shots??? Larry

5. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Cool bus, I would stop and look at it.

6. Ole don

Ole don

I would like to know what powered it.

7. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Amazing machine.

8. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

My brother has two Greyhound SceniCruisers, #372 and #997, those guys are hard core, they know where every one surviving still is, and can tell you the original routes they ran.
    I'll tip him off to this thread.

9. raidmagic

raidmagic

An engine:D

Cool bus!

10. 62rebel

62rebel

" I was born in the back seat, of a Greyhound bus, headed down highway 41..."

I love old buses. I reckon 5 gallons of polishing compound and a spare week would have that job shining like a silver dollar.

11. camcb

camcb

That's one cool bus. What engine is in it? It would make a cool Rv . More pics please.

12. I've always wanted one! There was a resto-modded Flxible bus at the OKC Street Rod Nats several years ago that was just spectacular. The amount of detail the owner had it his bus was unreal.

13. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Do you mean Prevost ? I honestly don't have a clue if there is a difference between Pro or Pre but, Prevost pops up as a search suggestion. Looks like the Prevost folks have been building these beauties since 1924.

"I dont know what his plans are for it." I suggest parking it in my driveway.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

14. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Very nice. That extension on the front bumper looks like it could be used as a weapon. I love the STOP lights, too. I've thought ones like these should have a work under the word STOP. (You can guess which one.)

15. seen some with a big GMC six.....and one or two with a sbc retro motor in them....friend has one down south of Dallas....

16. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Provost is an RV manufacturer who may or may not have made buses once. Prevost is a Canadian bus manufacturer and is considered the high-end choice among commercial bus and conversion operators. The White House bought two of them. Very expensive.

17. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

A bus of that vintage would have almost always been diesel, before the war a few had gas Hall-Scotts or straight 8 Buicks. Detroit Diesel was most popular but a few had Budas or Cumminses. There was a BIG GMC six gas motor as well as a V12 that was two big V6s, but they were rarely in buses if ever.

A few people retrofit modern gas engines to larger buses and it always ends in disappointment, they do not have the torque. The old gas buses would almost be considered a road hazard today with their pokey acceleration. One of the Flxible guys put a big Super Duty Ford gas motor in a Flx that was a light bus by modern standards to replace a 4-71 and later admitted that its 2 MPG was a big mistake.

18. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Yep, most likely a Detroit Diesel 6V-92. Lovely piece of history right there. Nice lines to it as well. What are your buddy's plans for it?

19. Urban Assault Vehicle. :D

20. I just found this one for sale in Aurora, CO and it's cheap for a converted bus. Even has diesel power. It's a '52 but doesn't say what make it is. I'd love to have something like this to travel in but maintenance get's expensive.
    [​IMG]

21. gas pumper

gas pumper

Racer29, that's a GM. Maintenance isn't expensive, breakdowns are.

These things are built like tanks. Very sturdy. Very Simple. Made to run 24/7 in the day.

You just need preventive maintenance on the electricals and air systems and you will get lots of trouble free miles.

22. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

You aint going to like this, but because of its popularity with passing traffic he is going to have it lettered up to promote his Food Deli. I will take some photos when the deed is done. Larry :confused::confused::confused:

23. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

why in the world would someone even consider putting a gas engine in one of those?

24. docmike

docmike

Cool old bus. I'd love to convert an old bus into an RV to take to different rod runs around the country but, I don't even want to think how much it would cost to do. I bet the biggest part of maintaining something like this would be keeping it polished. I don't even enjoy polishing the aluminum under my hood.

I'll have to admit that after reading the title of this thread I clicked on it thinking someone had located an old military prisoner of war bus.

Doc

25. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

There are a sizable number of people that convert these buses into RV style live in vehicles. Most want a fairly modern shell, or base vehicle but there are those into vintage as well. An online search will reveal resources for those interested. Like a hot rod the cost can vary over a 10:1 range or more depending on how innovative and good at scrounging you are and how much of your own work you do. Most rigs are between $20 and $200K with the top factory made setups (Marathon on a new Prevost chassis) in the seven figure range.

These vehicles can have a fifty, sixty or more year lifespan in RV service as they have 20+ year fulltime commercial careers. As opposed to a regular RV that lasts less than ten years of real service in most cases.

26. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I believe a musical horn with a Star Trek button is mandatory.

[​IMG]

27. sololobo

sololobo

I would be a gawker stopping to take pix, awesome machine! ~sololobo~

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one that belongs to a local couple
    [​IMG]
    It's probably the nicest older bus conversion I've seen.

One of my buddies has a 59 Flexible conversion that he has pretty well lost interest in that may be for sale. It's been stored inside all the time he has had it. They drove it cross country a few times and the 6 mpg rather bugged him.

29. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

It's a pretty bus.

Flx's had either Buick straight eights or 4-71s.A bus like this one should do better than 6 because it's light and small by coach standards. What engine does the '59 have?

30. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Very cool. Looks like it's already been converted to an RV. I'd sure like to see some interior pics, if possible.

Kevin