Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions, please: Ocala, FL or Texas Hill Country?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi325, Apr 18, 2013.

1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Wisdom from my 80 year old aunt: pick a neighborhood not a city. Nobody likes to think about it, but we all get old & feeble. And medical stuff, memory issues, etc. happen and you won't see them coming. Find a place where you have enough freedom to make you happy but enough community, neighbors, etc. to keep an eye on things.

I spent a winter in Florida and the bugs never went away. So for me the answer would be someplace that got a good freeze every winter.

2. I live 20 minutes north of Ocala... I say TX is where it's at.

3. Model T1

Model T1

I spent a winter in Florida and the bugs never went away. So for me the answer would be someplace that got a good freeze every winter.

A lot of people mention the bugs here in Florida. 19 years camping, car shows, playin in the yard, beaches, and I haven't noticed all that many. Worse back in Illinois. Maybe some people just have a different body odor!:rolleyes: In the Everglades YES!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

4. elba

elba

I like Crystal River Fl. , west of Ocala .

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've lived in Texas and Florida both have their advantages. The Texas Hill Country around Boerne and Kerrville is great. We used to deer and turkey hunt in the Rock Springs area. We now have a beach house in the Florida Pan Handle and no longer interested in cold weather. Love the beaches and fishing here but the car scene is lacking in my opinion. I believe south Florida has a lot better car scene. Not sure of the Hill Country car activity.

6. Fenders

Fenders

I have been to both areas and it's personal preference, but I'd vote west Texas -- or even further west.
    Have you been to southern New Mexico, or better yet Arizona?
    Not much in Bisbee Arizona but I like that.

7. Stay away from New Braunfels. Illegals, tourists and dreamers rule. I live way out in the country between Seguin and NB so I don't have to deal with the mayhem. Other than that Texas has plenty of cool rides and fun speed limits.

8. Ahhh, Bisbee. My brother was in the Sheriff's Department there for many years. Bisbee home to artist and San Francisco escapees. Always described as the world largest open air asylum.

9. Fenders

Fenders

Yup, see you in St. Elmo's for a beer........

10. If you are interested in a good website to compare cities, try: http://www.city-data.com/ Besides giving you all the information on the city, they also have a forum where people talk about their experiences with each city.

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I lived in Florida for 7 years, and there are only two ways I would move back there: Kicking, and Screaming.

-Brad

12. OneBad56

OneBad56

Ocala has Don Gartlis Drag Museum, who has a few shows during the year too.

Tampa is just down the road and further south is Muscle Car City.

13. Damn I was just going to mention that no has talked about Az Thank god & Fenders went & ruined it. LOL

14. So, Steve...did you make a decision yet?

15. i was born and raised in the panhandle, panama city. poor paying jobs,no car scene, and to many tourists. i left in 93 when some scientists came there to try to find the annus of the universe. they found it. my nerves get bad and my blood pressure goes up when i go to see family, but damn, the oysters are good. ive eat so many, i have to get on my hands and knees to turn over in the bed at night. i vote texas

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

gasmanm01 X-2 about Panama City. The Pan Handle further west is much better but as stated the car scene is poor. I'm used to Kentucky where there's all kinds of car activity in KY, IN and Oh.

17. Buckster

Buckster

Check out the site recommended by High Class Rat. It will give you an idea/experiences from people who live in each area.

18. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

I find it hard to believe the hot rod scene in Texas is worse than the Ocala area. No offense to anyone, but central Florida (yes I have lived there) up through Georgia is 4 wheel drive country...these people just don't get it. Anyways, the positives are good weather and a few decent shows including Billetproof at Gartlits place....also, everything rots over here....don't plan on finding any vintage tin...

19. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Great comment. We are headed to our log cabin in the mountains of Tennessee if we can ever sell our place here in West central Florida. Been here since 1971, and FL since 65 Any Buyers?? Might throw in a nice 64 Buick if the price is right!!!

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  20. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Hay Brad, you got that right. Even over here on the West coast, it's not like it used to be. Always working on the roads,(US-19) Make them wider so you can pass the asshole on the right who's in the left passing lane doing 30 in a 55. Right now there is a law ready to be passed which will make it unlawful to go less then 10 mph below the posted speed in the left PASSING lane. ( GIT IT or TICKIT ) By the way, it's been awhile since we've seen each other. Don't get up to the Sumter Swaps as I used to.

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Main and best thing about the Hill Country is that it is in TEXAS! C'mon home.

22. I like Oklahoma, been here all my life.

'Raise hell in Texas, and hide in Oklahoma" , that's been my rule for years now.

23. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

Retired from the USAF in 1988 and moved to Waco. If I had to do it all over again, still would pick Texas and if that job I needed then was in the Hill Country, We would be there. We might as well live in the Hill country, as we are there at least once a month. Best places on our list are all west of San Antonio and Austin. Much has been posted about the weather and the heat. Been to Florida many times for extended stays... Job and Military. Given the choice as some have said Come home to Texas.

24. Monday .... ;)

Stopped at El Charro T in Brenham, TX at my other Gramma's
    just after 10:30 a.m. for an early lunch ...

Ended up staying an hour ....

Had her fix me up whatever suited her - turned out to be scrambled eggs
    with chorizo & beans & fresh flour tortillas .... :cool:

Later in the afternoon ...

Some roadside bbq from a motley pair of gentlemen by the side of a
    two lane road just outside the Louisiana border ....

In between some of the prettiest country you will ever see.

Texas is & has always been & probably always will be:

A country unto itself

If you like a two lane road and what lies around the bend ...

TEXAS

Jim

25. I would consider the Gulf Coast, get in between the two

26. I agree with Sean!

27. New Braunfels is great, the Schlitterbahn and rafting on the river draw tourists during summer vacation and traffic can be busy. Hot rods are welcome and abundant. A lot of the tourists are here from Seguin because of gangs, crime, and the main draw is an huge pecan in front of the courthouse, and you can easily find a gang to join.

28. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Forget both of those....look at the Shenandoah Vally of Virginia. What's the saying ????/, " I reside in Maine, but I LIVE in Virginia".

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

During the spring and summer in the Florida Pan Handle all you see is cars with Texas Tags. That ought to tell you something. We used to live in Houston and the Galveston beaches can in no way compare to the Pan Handles crystal clear water and white sugar sand beaches. Throw in seafood, gun shows, excellent fishing and no crowds, its the Pan Handle for me. Just stay away from Panama City and Destin as thats were the tourist are at. The Pan Handle remains a drive to destination for seven states all of which are in the south.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  30. chopped

chopped

Check the date, by now the guy probably moved.