Register now to get rid of these ads!

made a club paque. not cast tho

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, May 10, 2013.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Me and my buddy wanted club plaques for our cars but were not in a club and our cars are both works in progress. he has a 57 plymoth i have a 49 hudson so i desided to make some out of stainless for now. id like to learn how to cast them myself but i keep loosing ebay bids on a melting pot. we decided the name of our somewhat fictional club should be called junkers if anyone has a club named this i dont mean to offend or copy just wanted a cool name. i checked online and couldent find anyone that calls thereself the junkers so i figured it be ok to use. i started with a peice of scrap 3/16 stainless and drew up the design. then i plasma cut out the words and drilled holes in all the letters then cut a peice the same size as a backer and welded them together around the edge and thru the holes i drilled. i didnt smooth the words out much because i made the whole thing over my 30 min. lunch break at work but i think it still looks cool for what it is like it or not i dont care i think its cool. i painted it and ground the paint off the letters when i got home and mounted it under the bumper of the hudson now i just got to make my buddy his
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That looks cool. I would have found someone to draw the letters better or maybe use stencils, but it's a clever idea and looks good. Maybe distress the top part a little? You're the junkers. You can't have shiny shit yet.

3. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Yea we kinda just decided to do it at lunch the other day so i didnt have stencils or anything on hand and im no artist but with a name like junkers i figure it didnt have to be to nice lol. if i make anymore ill probally make them nicer .

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

"... i think it still looks cool for what it is like it or not i dont care i think its cool."

What are you posting it for then? I, for one, think it looks amateurish. But you don't care. I got it.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why do people say stuff like that, then log off?:confused: But, we get ya, Turbo.:D

6. I totally got the name vs being drawn out and cut to perfection.

7. deadbeat

deadbeat

i like it,well done.I made one for our fictional club & insted of plasma the wording I mig welded the name.

btw,your grass could do with a cut :)

8. Use a sheep or a goat,,, more traditional ;)

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ouch!!! Thats unnecessarily negative man....:confused:

Sure doesn't look BILLET and blingy...so it gets my vote as being homebuilt and cool.
    Not all of us have the time or equipment to cast them at home and unfortunately not the money required to have a bunch cast professionally either.

Building a car at home doesn't always result in a Ridler Award winner.
    Does that make them less fun and a wasted effort?

Try putting a positive spin on things sometimes Mashed!
    Don't worry...be happy. LoL :D:D

10. It's kool, very kool.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Pretty damn cool. Turned out great!

12. thunderplex

thunderplex

...easy dude!!! The the guy a fuckin' break.

For the record, ...I really like the plaque and it's very unique.

The HAMB is quickly becoming a negative cesspool with comments like yours.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  13. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Cool , I dig it.

14. looks good to me

15. F&J

F&J

it looks cast aluminum to me.

16. katyfattrodder

katyfattrodder

I like it.....simple and unique..............

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Just for the heck of it have the next one water jet cut. Then weld a backer plate.
    You will be amazed. You can even add a monogram or some type of club logo.
    Water jet cutting allows precise delicate cuts with more detail, if desired.

18. Skoty

Skoty

that looks cool!! iv got one a'hanging from the back of my daily... its just a made up club, its not quite as cool as yours though.... terrible picture to show it, but its the only picture iv got where you can see it haha... its really badly made, but i kinda like it haha

[​IMG]

19. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I like it and you went and did it instead of sitting around griping about what someone else did.

20. looks great!
    I would leave it rough and non perfect, then spray em with vinager to rust it up, then mount on black background.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yep. Kinda elegant, too...STAINLESS, while even the BAY AREA ROADSTERS are cast in slag aluminum.

Tell 'Turbo' enough with the hot air.

Hey Peter: when my 2 buds and I were allowed to attend the Gear Jammers' Meetings on Thursday nights (we were 12, left our bikes outside) we bought navy blue felt jackets and our Moms sewed imitation club patches on the backs.

When we showed up at the next meeting, we were met with some...disapproval.
    But as we sat there, an older friend made a motion:
    "How 'bout these guys becoming 'honorary members'?" They voted us in, and during the next couple of years we never worked so hard in our lives!
    Charity projects, dances, club Poker Runs: WE distributed and nailed up posters 'til we knew every crack in every sidewalk...between telephone poles, friendly storekeepers, all of it.
    We never had to walk or take our bikes to the drags...there were rides in rods and mild customs. Stainless placques are unique. A great start!

22. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Thanks for all the feedback im glad some of you like my ugly plaque lol

23. thunderplex

thunderplex

It isn't ugly, it has tons of character. I would guess that the first club placques where made similar to yours.

...this tjj Full Custom H.A.M.B. App message was born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus, ...rolling down highway 41.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  24. magneto57

magneto57

cooooooooooool...........rich

25. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I like it. The design/style fits the name which makes it even better.

Watch out or next thing you know other people will want to join ;) PA is right next to MD

26. Works for me. It is original, homemade & proudly displayed.

27. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I like it and I like Skoty's too. Good for you guys. Roll on!

28. thedrick

thedrick
    from latrobe pa

Some times the best ideas come from lunch break antics. Junkers in perfect script wouldn't be near as cool

29. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Looks kool Peter.