Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Fireball '62

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dexter The Dog, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Ok here's the beginning of my "Nascar for the street" build.
    It's getting ready for the cage. Hopefully next couple of weeks should see some of that coming together.
    If anyone knows of the following parts in N.E. States or Eastern Canada, let me know. - 62 American Bonneville
    Dr side grille bars
    Grille Arrow Logo
    Bucket seat frames
    Manual pedal setup
    Good Rear Bumper

Also will need period correct wheels - Not sure if we'll have to make them or not.

Attached Files:

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

that's gonna be cool ...keep us posted

3. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Things are crawling along because of work schedule but I managed to find a set of 8" half ton truck rallyes. We'll use the rings from these and a set of stock '69 Pontiac centres welded in.
    The character of this old bomb completely changed when these went on.
    They even clear the quarters as they are.

Steel is here for the cage so that should come together soon.

Was going to convert the windows from power to manual but I managed to get them all working so they'll stay. Discovered some major age related wiring issues so the harness is going to have to go.

Attached Files:

4. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

Very cool project! Subscribed.

5. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Thought maybe I'd throw these on here just to show what the goal is for this thing.
    I know the original was a Catalina and I've got a Bonneville but an extra foot of truck can never hurt - right?

Attached Files:

6. Master of None

Master of None

Message racer81x. He and his father run a Pontiac big car parts business here in my home town. Larry(the dad) ran a dealership in the hay day of Pontiac. If he doesn't have what you need he will know of someone who does.

7. jratz1966

jratz1966

That's going to be a cool car,what engine you gonna run? subscribed

jratz

8. F&J

F&J

Alrighty then, now I get why you chose the wheels. I was thinking drag car, ...that happens every time I see a early 60s Pontiac pic or thread:eek:

Nascar on the street would be cool

9. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

389 that is in it seems good and strong for now. There was a tri-power dome with a new centre carb in the trunk when I bought it. That may come together down the road. Odometer is showing 8,xxx miles so I'm presuming it's only 108 based on the condition of everything.

10. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Nascar on the street would be cool[/QUOTE]

Check out threads from "Stacked65" and "66tintop"
    That's enough to burn up your evening....

In there you'll find others as well.

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Subscribed! I grew up with the 60s full size muscle cars, although they were not called that. I really like them and would like to do the same with my 65 Olds 88 but they never ran that car. Good luck.

Pat

12. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great project, loved those old NASCAR Pontiac race cars. Fireball Roberts was certainly a great one. Another possible parts/information connection is "applecrate" on the HAMB he has a great thread on here about Exploring Arizona but I believe he has a huge Pontiac collection as well.

Best of luck with the recreation.

13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Dexter, that should have been "applekrate". I knew it did not look right.

Again good luck with your project.

14. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Got the back window out and was happy to find out the tracks are as clean as the front. A quick blast and prime will be all they'll need.
    Head liner was a rotten mess of old nylon, and powdered sound deadener...
    Floors at this point look completely solid except for the front body mounts in the trunk.
    Cage pipes are bent and can go together now that the rest of the interior is gone. The cage is just going to be bolted so I can get it in and out, and I may want to pull the body off later.
    Need to keep it running for movement, so this is about as far as it can come apart for now.

Attached Files:

15. Cool build, I want a stock car for the street one day.

16. 68vette

68vette

Fireball Roberts was from here in Asheville NC...I went to high school with his daughter, Sarah...I think was her name.

Nice that you are making a car that salutes Fireball...his death was way to early.

Banjo Matthews was also from here and his shop balanced the 327-350hp in my 68 vette.

17. cool....good luck with it...!

18. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Had to throw the wheels on and hang a fender for a little inspiration. The body will be coming off again soon for the winter and wont be back on for quite awhile...

Attached Files: