Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slot mags ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Jul 17, 2005.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Never had a problem with the unilug style myself. Must be really tightening them to compress those thick washers! I like the newer conical design washers better than the old shank type. My local tire store carries both at very cheap prices, .50 each.

2. jkeesey

jkeesey

I found the paperwork after the new tires were put on and they were torqued to 120ft lbs. I bought a new set of the ansen sprint aluminums for the front and still have my big wide mags on the back. I still have those unilugs but I won't run them on anything, nice wall hangers right now.

3. You should go back and grab them, 14's are great for odd things

[​IMG]

4. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Going to be putting these on my pro street 39 Willys soon. going to have the set polished first. 15 x 14's, took me 5 years to find them.

Attached Files:

5. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Neat idea!

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You might be a redneck if..

So my wife comes out to the garage this morning and says I have to take her over to see her mother. I stop working and head over. On the way is a big box by the corner labeled "2 ceiling fans, free". Hmm, I think, I could put one in the garage. So I grab 'em on the way back. Put one up in the garage, leave the other sitting on the lawn and go back to work.

Then it hit me. I had been wondering how to go about cleaning all these old wheels I've been buying. Won't fit on my lathe, buffer spins too fast. 20 minutes later I have the second fan motor clamped in the vice and a wheel spinning. The darn thing even had a 5 bolt pattern already! So now I have a 3 speed wheel spinner, with reverse and a light fixture. It's a bit under powered for heavy sanding but at least it's safe, you can stop it with enough pressure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

sHIT ! I thought you were talking about Hustler & Penthouse

8. jkeesey

jkeesey

I still have my 14" wheels and don't want them if anyones interested.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love slot mags so much my friends started calling them "Scott Mags" as I had them on all my cars. :D

I scored a fairly nice set of 14x7s and 15x10s for $50 from some homie in Stockton for my 1956 Chevy.

The car is going to get lowered all around, I'm going to murder the rear quarters even more as the rear wheels hang out already and will get 28" to 30"x10X15" slicks eventually.

Up front I'd like to got to a narrow 15" but for the time being the 14s work. :cool:

Attached Files:

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Nice '56, my favorite tri-five year. I'm running 14s all around. Always on the lookout for narrows up front and deep dish in rear. The 14s are all pretty standard though from what I've seen.

11. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

What size tires are those on the front?

12. n847

n847

So I scored 2 14x7's yesterday, my only concern is finding a good 14" tire I can afford. They have Cragar center caps they say made in Mexico on the back. I've been looking for more information, I can't figure out when they were made. I'd like to run them on the back, so I'll need to find a set for the front I'm thinking 3.5 or 4". Do I need to run 14's or 15's. I'm sure this is a stupid questions but I've been seeing alot of guys run 14's in the back and 15's on the front with notsalgia race stuff. I'm also going to have to find a set of unilug adapters, lugnuts, washers, etc. But I think I can find all that at the swap meet next weekend.

Anyone with any info or adivce I would appreciate it!

Attached Files:

13. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Look what Ansen started.

Did they not patent the design and that's the reason for the slight variations from American, Fenton, M/T, etc? Ford "borrowed" the design, too, and optioned them on Mustang IIs in the late 70s. Even Tonka copied them for cryin' out loud.

I've heard them called by quite a few different names over the years, too. Dish, jellybeans, and kidneys come to mind.

However, not a fan of the mini hubcap or knock-off look. Kinda lipstick on a pig thing. I'm not even so sure they look better with center caps. When I was a kid it seems that center caps were the exception. Most slots were used on the rear and stock steelies with hubcaps up front.

One thing for sure is they're my all-time favorite. And the hoarding neighbor mentioned earlier in the thread probably hasn't retired off their newfound popularity yet. Just fine with me. There's always next year :rolleyes:

14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've always liked them and have one 14"set and a couple 15"sets I picked up cheap. They will get scarce eventually as scrappers are cashing them out. You can tell the difference on some of the later 70's slots by design and they don't look quite right. A maroon scotchbrite works, I like em with no centers since most were cheap and junk anyways and it adds weight. : )

15. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

So... Hows the Uni-lug adapter work.... I have a set of 14's and 15's unilug Slots. I also have a set of lugs, they cam off an f100.... The offset washer goes in to line up my lugs, but, do the lugs bottom out against the rotor or drum? or tighten and torque....??? That's what is setting un easy with me

16. I think they should have center caps to look just right, myself anyways. I just scored a set of 15x6 and 15x8 with 5 on 5.5 BC and I am polishing them and ordering a set of center caps, then they will go on my O/T '89 F150 short bed delivery truck, gotta be cool you know! :D

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Liked them slots from first site back mid 60's,but they were out of my $ buck power back in the day. A good buddy gave me a set just three years back,so had to put them on my old rod that I'm rebuilding. Eddy gave me two 14ins x 5 in. fronts and two 15in.x 12in. rears and I think they are cool,I'll need to polish them up.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Would it be a faux pas to paint slot mags dark grey?

19. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

14 inch 6 holers...........need 2 more.

Attached Files:

20. I am polishing mine as we speak, will post pics soon.