Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Morgans 51 chev sedan build up (Australia)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morgan91, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Not sure of the brand but is a electronic one, took it out last night to make sure the pin hadent snapped and to make sure it wasn't missing any teeth or anything and its all good, and I had it a little loose while trying to start it, and advanced it and retarderd it and wouldn't fire.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Have you got maybe another dissy to try in case it is something internal.
    Double check all your wiring too..............it's one of those things you pull your hair out until you find it's something simple :rolleyes:
    Sorry i can't think of anything else to try :)

3. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks dude, got it sorted eventually, dad came and said it could be the coil just tried swapping the coil and it started straight away, so must of been dieing under load. But it's weird that it hit died randomly for no reason, could of possibly been the wrong coil for the application but its all sorted now, was pulling my hair out going crazy, felt like. Dumb ass after it got going.

4. ausbuick

ausbuick

bloody cars!!!!!!

5. cmarcus

cmarcus

Moragn - loving this build. Lots of inspiration for me and my 50 four door.

Keep it up! You might be getting PMs in the future as questions arise! :D

6. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks man, feel free to ask as much as you want i don't know to much but il try as best I can to help you out.

7. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Little bit of an update, got it running and driving and stopping pretty well. Bled the brakes up again and bow it stops really well so last night i took my 4 doors and bolted my two-door doors on, and started to brace up the body getting ready to chop the pillars out, think I'm going to do one side at a time.

Attached Files:

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

Awesome job going on your 4/D, oh, I mean 2/D soon. Will be watching. :D

CRUISER :cool:

9. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

FYI, there was a 49-52 Chevy running around town here (Ballarat) a few years back with an L300 Mitsubishi front end. Seemed to work quite well. Also a 53-54 sedan here with LH/LX Torana front end (not so successful).

Cheers,
    Arnold.

10. cmarcus

cmarcus

Morgan,
    Can't wait to see the steps and process this takes. I can't wait to get mine on the road, but know there is so much more for it in the future! Maybe a 2 dr conversion is its destiny. We shall see! Keep the pics coming!

11. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks guys, will try to keep you updated as much as possible, plan is to get it two Doored and back drivable before Chopped rod
    And custom show in newstead this year, so iv got about 5 months.

12. Gee, you're not mucking around.......one week you can't get it running the next week you're ripping out doors.
    Looked great before, it's going to look so much better with just 2 doors :)

13. ausbuick

ausbuick

14. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368404339.435626.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368404358.880888.jpg

Just a little up date, had a bit on this weekend but managed to get a little bit on, got it all braces up and the passenger side pillar out. And found out the door jamb section of the door is a bit different to the 4 door but shouldn't be o hard to modify it.

15. scott51

scott51

Pretty much just used the modified outer skin of the original jamb and pillar on mine then reinforced it with flat stock and RHS, adding seatbelt mounts and bearclaw latches while I was at it.

Haven't found all my pics yet but here's a few that might help.

You might notice I reused that really thin piece that runs in between the 4 dr doors by moving it to suit, but in hindsight the shape and thickness were crappy to work with and I would have been better off making a small piece from scratch using a hammer form or shrinker stretcher.

Another bright idea I had after all this was to just use the rear inner structure from the old front doors, flipping them to opposite sides of the car so you you end with kind of a female die for your new front doors. Would probably have been less work plus the metal's nice and thick and already perfectly shaped to match.

I still have these pieces lying around from a scrap pair of doors so will try to take a couple of photos this weekend (car's stored offsite at the moment)

Attached Files:

16. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks Scott, that looks awesome! Still trying to figure out how I'm going to attach the rear door skin to the pillar, was going to put a returned edge on it and spot weld it inside the door jamb bit.
    Any more pictures and info would be much appreciated.

Little up date from last night. Just make a new bit for the sill and welded it in and got the bit of the door cut out and got the pillar tacked in

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368495101.021524.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368495122.523773.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368495143.437513.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368495166.064071.jpg

17. jfrolka

jfrolka

Damn, nice job so far. Looks seamless.

These chevy coupes look great, even more so unchopped.. sweet little cruisers

Are you chopping this one?

18. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Yeah the plan is for a mild chop down the road at some stage probably next year some time.

19. scott51

scott51

Sounds like you're on the right track, first side I did I temporarily screwed/clamped everything in place with the old door skin overlapping the new door, scribed the door gap, trimmed and welded, ground and filed the corner from beltline to rocker (you can see the first tacks in photo 2 above) -

ROOKIE MISTAKE even going slow, welding on the corner of a big panel like this pulled it in and my panel bowed out, ended up cutting it free and redoing it.

Lesson learnt, second side I made up a ply wood hammer form (traced from the rear edge of the front door), did a couple of test runs on the offcuts from the rear doors and put a flange on the old skin which you can just see in photo 6.

Turned out to be way less work, panel held it's shape before and after welding, had a nice clean gap and looked like factory.

If you look carefully you can see I didn't have the tools or know how at the time to fold the flange on the more curvey areas by the beltline and rocker but if you had a shrinker stretcher or the tools to make a hammer form with compound curves it'd be worth it.

The other thing I've seen quite a few people get caught out by is the arch of the rear side windows - the area that was your rear vent windows on your four doors.

I know lots of people say the 2dr and 4dr sedans share the same roof, but the profile is a bit different around the c pillar and if you just weld your old door frame on it will look like shit

Ideally you'd trace a template off your local 2dr (yeah right) but I just made one by eye and by scaling up a bunch of 2dr profile photos.

I removed some of the drip rail and unpicked/flattened the folded metal along the top of the old door frame to make it easier to work with and fill the gaps. Cutting and welding ensued:

Attached Files:

20. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Very nice, Im about to chop my hudson but havent been brave enough to go ahead but seeing this gave me the motivation .... Bring on the weekend !

21. Shipper Sel

Shipper Sel
    from SoCal

You've got skills my friend! Looking forward to more pics...

22. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks for that, last night I took the skin off one of my rear doors and bent the quarter up and overlapped them and traced the line for the front door. All these things your saying I wouldn't of noticed untill later so it's helping a lot haha. Have you got some close up shots o where you joined the pillar to the quarter? Oh and here's some pictures from my progress last night

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582581.047166.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582607.932398.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582629.798543.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582657.125374.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582682.231867.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582714.215015.jpg

Thanks for the input guys it actually helps a lot!

23. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582824.210745.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582872.862606.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582917.988418.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368582970.283578.jpg

This is the patch panel I plan on using to finish off the quarters down the bottom.

24. 4444Design

4444Design

you got skills!

will follow

25. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Tonight only did a little bit on the 2 door conversion but did install a battery isolator switch and a new Gilmore drive belt because the last one snapped and flew off the other day.

Just made a little right angle piece and shrunk and stretched it around to get it to the stage where it's tacked on and I can use it to attach the quarter to when I'm ready

Photos

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368613000.026962.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368613051.229271.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368613090.831169.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368613122.868998.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368613143.159448.jpg

26. ausbuick

ausbuick

sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!

27. 2 doors are going to finish it off juuuust nice :)

28. scott51

scott51

Nice one dude, don't know if my ramblings are making sense or not but cool to see you're not making the same mistakes I did when I first tried mine.

I've actually still got the hammerform I made to put the fold on the old door skin, used 32mm ply from memory - traced the side profile of the door, cut a male and female piece on the bandsaw clamped and screwed in place taking the radius of the bend and metal thickness into account, then some gentle tapping working along the full height of the panel and presto nice rigid panel with 10-15mm flange for drilling and plug welding.

Will be heading out to the warehouse where my car's hibernating and take a few pics of it and how I handled the internal structure if I can.

BTW everything I did was in consultation with the local modified vehicle certifier and I know you guys have similar laws as us.

not sure if they're any help but here's a couple more photos I have handy

Attached Files:

29. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks man, it's helping a lot what did you do down the bottom of the quarter? Return edge then weld to top of the sill or did you use one of those rust repair panles? And take it all the way to the bottoms of the pinch weld?

30. scott51

scott51

My rockers and rear wheel arches needed replacing (inside and out) so I used that patch panel you posted before. Can't see a problem with welding to the 4 door rockers if everything's solid and you seam sealed and drilled some drainage holes in the right places.

When I did the rockers I backed up the area under the pillar with a piece of 14G and plug welded the 'new' rear quarter made from old door skin and 2dr patch panel to tie it all together.

Attached Files: