Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor Mounts 331 Caddy into 32 Foird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, May 9, 2013.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Trying to figure how to make or what type mounts would be best to use with the 331 Caddy motor into my 32 5 window

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've seen someone on Ebay selling reproductions of the old Hurst mounts for early Cadillac V8s at a reasonable price.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

I have been told that hemi mounts will work the ones on my hemi look close to the caddy I have a 365 at the shop

4. Caddyq

Caddyq

Use flathead motor mounts. Build a plate that bolts to your block. From that weld a piece that comes out horizontal from that and box it in Then build a frame mount and sandwich a flathead biscut motor mount in between. Simple and effective.

5. F&J

F&J

Paul, whatever is easier for you; either buy those repro Hurst mount brackets that bolt to the block, or build them like Caddyq does.

Both would use the flathead round rubber mounts. Then you do have to build the brackets that weld to the insides of the framerails.

But you can't build those until you have the motor is the best possible position, height, angle, firewall/fan clearance, and steering column clearance.

Pic is of a hamb 32 truck w/331; looks like Hurst mounts.

Looks like there is more clearance at the back of the heads, compared to Olds motor, so not too much trimming of the lower firewall where the wood toe board sits on a shelf. You keep raising the engine while slightly trimming that shelf, a little at a time. The extended Cad/Olds type block is what will hit that lower shelf.

Fan, lower crank pulley needs to be on the motor as well as a radiator. A model A front crossmember, if that's what you have, the engine/trans might slide in there better with the crank pulley removed. Then slide the pulley on after the engine clears the crossmember. The pulley will end up sitting behind the cossmember, but the pulley might hit going in, during set up.

Other pic is a template for a rear trans mount for the Roadmaster trans. Hurst made something like that for certain LaSalle set-ups. Make it out of steel plate, and it uses a common Chevy rear trans rubber mount. Then you need to fab a rear crossmember for that to sit on;

I think you have the round tubing center X member in your chassis, so I would guess you'd make a flat plate on each front side of the X, weld them to the tubes, then bolt your fabbed trans crossmember to those 2 side plates.

piece of cake:eek::D

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and kadillackid like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Here is how far we got today. Basic mock up until the column/dash/column bracket is installed.

..then we can start final motor/trans position. Looks promising so far.

The old firewall was recessed for an unknown motor, and did not have to cut any more of it.

Those are the reproduction Hurst front mount brackets, and real good "banded" Ford rubber biscuits from Spadaro. The bands keep the rubber from squishing out like a flat tire.

Rear mount looks like it won't be too bad to build

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. DANSLED

DANSLED
    from CW, Ohio

Does anybody know who or how to get ahold of the guy making the repo hurst cad engine mounts? I've had no luck finding him. A name, ebay name, facebook, or here on the HAMB? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did find the mounts on a website, 2040parts.com, but it must be out of service cause i get no response to emails or contacts. Looks like the guy is around St. Louis area. I'm looking for a set of the hurst style engine mounts to put a 365 cad in my merc.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  8. DANSLED

DANSLED
    from CW, Ohio

9. I believe you’re right, Hemi mounts I have bolt directly onto Cad motors, I have a couple.
    The op could try going down that path on finding mounts , alternatively making your own isn’t that difficult.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I mistakenly had a pair of Hurst hemi mounts when I was first putting the Caddy engine in my 40. They fit the block but place the engine about an inch and a half too far back. I could not use them (I even had em chromed) I ended up getting the proper caddy Hurst mounts and everything fell into place....

11. DANSLED

DANSLED
    from CW, Ohio

love your 40!