Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford’s 2.0/2.3/2.5 litre engine family guide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenneth S, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

It is a non interference engine, so you can reset it, and go, unless if you went crazy with milling the head .070", decked the block .015", running a .500" lift cam, and stronger springs to hit 9500 rpm's like I did (I always changed the timing belt out when I changed the engine oil on that engine).

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Nah, the engine will be pretty close to stock.

Just the earlier bigger turbo, some wastegate adjustments and nitrous.

It probably doesnt need a lot more than that in a 1100 or 1200 pound car.

Thanks...

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I can tell you that 8 psi of boost alone in a 2500 lb car is a lot of fun, it should be really fun at half the weight.

4. 75wagon

75wagon

Hello all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Just registered, been a visitor to this board for some time now and as always the information provided is top notch on the topic. Just read through this whole thread and would like some opinions on the following.<o:p></o:p>
    I have a project that I have been debating motor options for a couple months. My objective for this vehicle is a dd and to provide a reliable travel vehicle that gets decent fuel mileage but is not a slug. Curb weight is around 2500. I have been researching 3 possible options: All would have a 5 spd. Manual trany<o:p></o:p>
    1, 2.3 Ford<o:p></o:p>
    2, 3.0 Mercruiser <o:p></o:p>
    3, 22R Toyota<o:p></o:p>
    I would like to keep this as simple as possible so i would like to go with a carb or at most simple efi. I have kicked around the idea of the 2.3 turbo but here in Ca. inexpensive donor vehicles are getting hard to find. I do have a lead on a 84 svo 2.3 that the owner says has been completely rebuilt by machine shop for turbo application but he only has long block, no turbo parts. This would mean that it has low compression pistons and I am not sure how well it would run with a carb.
    I would be rating the above options on HP per dollar invested, ease of maintenance, reliability and parts support.
    I would appreciate any feedback on the subject.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks <o:p></o:p>

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I've ran a Holley 350 2bbl carb on a turbo 2.3 long block w/o a turbo, and it ran pretty good.

6. You should be able to find a TurboCoupe or Merkur XR4ti for sale cheap enough or at a junk yard. EFI is what helped turbocharging- the TC does 18 lb of boost, stock-- no pressurizing the carb, no fuel puddling worries, spark, timing and such all taken care of by the computer.

But, "Not a slug" and "Moves out" are two different things- the turbo adds complexity. I'd go without the turbo and with options 1 or 3 for "Not a slug".

What's the car? Falcon, Comet?

7. Here's a 2100# car(2.3/T3/T5) that scoots @8psi...2nd & 3rd gear is a real hoot...

Attached Files:

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Looks like a neat, fun ride you have there.

9. 75wagon

75wagon

Thanks for the input. So I went and checked out the 2.3 from the 84 svo thinking that it was going to be some pieced together home rebuild but it turns out to be done by a machine shop in 2001 with top of line parts looking in the spark plug holes you could make out the Sealed Power Emblem on the top of the pistons. He had all the receipts and it was all painted wrapped up in plastic in the corner of his garage. On the phone he said that he had stored all of the turbo pieces in the trunk of the car and forgot about them when he sold the body several years back. As we were talking about what he had intended to do with the motor I was looking around his garage and eyed what looked like the intercooler sitting on top of a pile of moving boxes behind a bunch of other stuff. So I ask if that might be a piece to the turbo and he replied you know it just might be I haven’t been in that corner of the garage for some time. We moved some stuff around to make our way to the boxes and it was the intercooler and in the boxes was the intake, brand new exhaust manifold, injectors and what looks to be a NWC 5 spd. + several other misc pieces but no turbo. We negotiated a price and I now have a 2.3 sitting in my garage. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Question on the T5, everyone aspires to the WC unit but if you are not putting out high HP and dump the clutch is the NWC that bad?
    Sorry for rambling on here.

10. 75wagon

75wagon

I am not sure why I am getting the little smiley faces in my post?

11. If it's the T5 from the SVO it is WC. Turboford.org has an active forum. I've figured out what you're putting this into. If you're going for lots of power you might just want a different from stock turbo anyway. Same goes for the intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, etc.

12. Mikep503

Mikep503
    from Oregon

Does anyone know where to locate a oil pump pick up tube for the 2.0 pinto motor? I have the new Melling M-86B pump but can't find a tube. Mike

13. Funny kinda question, anyone one know the shift pattern for the German 4 spd on the EAO motor. Is it reverse left and up or is it left and down.

14. If the trans is free/loose, put it in each gear, turn the input shaft by hand, and watch the direction of the output shaft.

15. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Here's a couple shots of the set up in my 26 lakes modified. Motor in pic is mockup motor. Have freshened up 79 2.3 turbo block waiting in my office.
    Have adapter being made for the twin carbs. Leaning toward 97's instead of the 94's. Will go progressive. Just built header and crossover turbo tube. Will get finished welded and coated this week.
    Running a 4 speed with 35 rear end and a Dick Spadaro (Winters ) QC. Used 46 dropped front bones re-triangulated with model A ball.
    Alternator will go low on other side and not sure if I want coil or fuel log back in the cavity where the old bracket wuz. Kinda like the idea of the line coming out of the pump straight into first nipple of the fenton tri-power log. next 2 nipples run up to the carbs (Hard lines), and pressure gauge in old inlet on the top end. Oil filled gauges on the motor. 2 3/8 speedo in the original amp hole on the dash. T headlight switch and key. Nothing extra on the dash
    Major focus on absolutely nothing on the firewall. clean and simple.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  16. lorodz

lorodz

Were dI'd you get the turbo set up off of year make model I run the svo ford 2.3 motor in my car and I want turbo. but the svo is injected I'm carbed your is more like a blower set up carbs on top ...any info would be cool
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

17. I was looking at a shift knob late last night online, 1 trans is buried and the other is at my moms house (after unloading it from the truck). I'll look tonight.

18. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

The turbo is from a 1980 Mustang 2.3 They are 79-81 Mustang, Fairmont, and some others. Hard to find, couldn't find an uncracked exhaust manifold so we built a header. It is called a draw through system, not as efficent as modern turbo and EFI. It could be built out of a turbo and tubing with some flanges. Hells Gate Hot Rods made our header flange. Hope this helps

19. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

If my ol brain can remember correctly on the German trans with the screw in shifter, reverse is to the left, and up (you have to push down on the shifter to get it to go over into reverse).

20. turbonotch

turbonotch

Stumbled across this thread while researching for my 1964 Falcon.

I've built about a dozen 2.3L based projects. I was a moderator for turboford.org way back and have rubbed elbows with many of the max-effort 2.3 builds.

The motor is a great platform for everything from a tireless economy commuter to a high end 1000+hp build. I've seen them installed in everything from boats to dune buggies to willys jeeps to tractors to T-buckets and street rods.

I'm going to subscribe to this thread so I can share info where possible. My current 2.3L is a 537rwhp aluminum headed turbo motor. It is a street motor, but I'm going to convert to E85 to get away from $15/gallon race gas. Gets about 27mpg to boot on the stock block/crank!

[​IMG]

For those on the east coast, my machinist is Fred House @ Housepower Race Engines in central PA. He is currently running a 7.85ET stick shift bracket car with a Lima based power plant. Stand up guy that really knows these engines and charges a fair rate for quality work.

This will probably be my last 2.3L based build. If I decide to do another 4-cylinder it will be based of a Kansas Racing Products block that is 'half a V8' and can use a big block head. Just to try something different. http://kansasracingproducts.com/

21. turbonotch

turbonotch

Dave is a great guy. Many people know about his Mustang, some know about his wifes Pinto... but few know about his clean 2.3-powered 1941 Ford ;)

It's a street-only car, but has been known to knock down a 13 second ET when called upon. It's basically a stock turbocoupe motor with some bolt-ons in a HEAVY all steel street rod. Really, really awesome car.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4932449&postcount=52

22. totalawsum7

totalawsum7
    from Tacoma, WA

Hey Turbonotch---your radiator fill inline adapter---what off or who from---looking for one for kids racecar---Thks

23. turbonotch

turbonotch

24. It looks like they're called "radiator hose fillers".

25. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Maybe with all the other tech posts going on with tranny info and running problems and great posts from Kenneth S, my post # 392 as above got lost. Still looking for some basic info to ID this Ford 4 banger. Should be able to get up and get a better look next month. Again, would appreciate anything to look for. Thanks.

26. ilinrods41

ilinrods41

Working on a 29 sedan with 2.3 and 5 speed. Also going to have Holley carb blow through turbo. Pics coming when turbo is mounted.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

Picture would be helpful.

28. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Get some pictures of it if you can (both engine, and transmission), and post them, we'll figure it out what you have.

29. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Some of these SOHC Fords are great little motors and some are pieces of shit. You have to know which is which but the upside is that they tend to be cheap when you find them and the good ones run forever, make power and are economical. Bad side is they can cost as much as a SBC to build and the gas saving is never worth the difference in market value on a car you drive as a hobby car. Besides, there's always CNG...

This is another example of how Ford never did learn one lesson Chevy exemplified for thirty years and to some extent even today: make stuff interchange. There are English, German, American and god knows what other Ford fours, many with family links but nothing from any one plant directly fits anything else but all sorts of ricky racer combinations are possible. They are STILL pulling this crap with the Modular motors.

We had a Pinto engine, the 2300 I think, in a Ford tractor-8N/2N/9N or some such-at an airport I worked at as a kid. It had the Funk flathead V8 frame conversion and they just used the Pinto because it was a Ford and there was this old Pinto that was the airport car until a St. Louis ob-gyn with a King Air backed it into the fuel truck. (He did pay to fix the truck and gave the airport a nicer car, so he wasn't banished.) We abused the hell out of it and it kept on ticking. I also drove a Lotus that had one of these Ford mutt motors in an autocross once. I won FTD on street tires against a stout 914/6 Porsche.

Anyway, not to thread jack, a very informative post about some interesting and useful powerplants.

30. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.