Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was almost waiting for that come back. Yes, Bill Smith runs it and as a large company, it has a board of executives. While many here have met him, I have not. HOWEVER, one day, I was talking with a tech and the conversation got a little light. As a joke, I said, "Man, I'd really like to thank old Bill in person." The tech put me on hold and the guy that came on next introduced himself as Bill Smith. I spoke only to thank him. He said, "You're welcome and thanks for using my company on your car."

Was it really him? I don't know, but I like to think it was.

Board of Directors:
    http://www.insideview.com/directory/speedway-motors-inc

And Edison and all the other big corporations started out as small. But if you do research, you'll find that just about all of them got big from screwing the competition, not the consumer. Unlike today, when some small businesses seem to get off by screwing people and crying about the economy being bad.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i;ve had my issues with wheel vintiuqes and i hear what Kellys is saying, same for those who've had issues with Coker...i like speedway, just as i like Pete and Jakes, and others....i see both sides of this fence

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So basically, you just labeled them as alliance vendors for dramatic effect. Noted.

4. oakhill

oakhill

No problem here with Speedway. Even where they got it wrong, exchange was hassle free.

5. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I think it's the right thing to do. Will there be gripes? Your darn tootin' :D. I bug all my family and friends when they buy a new car to buy a ford or gm/chevy. Noticed I said ford first :). Ya I'm that guy.

Yes it maybe harder or more expensive in some circumstances and nearly impossible in other (for example cloths or computers).

I have a hard time going through all the trouble of rebuilding a flathead and then gripe about a hundy or two for a good carb that is correct for my car.

I do see Edelbrock is making a new 94 as advertised in speedways catalog. I hope it's a good one and is made like their other products, in the USA.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  6. KarlsKustom

KarlsKustom

So basically, you bully him because he has an opinion too and then write him off because he didn't want to pay to play?

You do realize people can buy things from those companies whilst not belonging to the Alliance?

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not at all... read what he wrote... This site is free. Non alliance members have just as many features as Alliance members.

8. KarlsKustom

KarlsKustom

Actually this was what I was talking about.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Right... He was stating he would no longer do business with an Alliance Vendor as if he was a member that got screwed out of the deal. I just straightened that out is all... And he drew back. See:

I couldn't careless if he was an Alliance member or not.

10. A-BOMB #1

A-BOMB #1

Seems Ryan is a straight shooter when it comes to alliance vendors and members.

11. 097

from California

Ryan supports small business and American values.

Get's trolled.

Awesome.

How you don't clean house with that ban button, I'll never know. You are a man of great self restraint.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This thread is getting out of hand. It's my fault...

Here's the deal. I'm totally cool with differing opinions. And there are some good arguments here against my own. Small business fulfillment, customer service, etc... are all very real concerns of this quest of mine to support small america.

As for the other arguments, I'm usually better at just writing them off when some random goes after me personally rather than just looking at the argument objectively and stating merits/demerits. I shouldn't have taken the bate today. It's just that sometimes "message board" people drive me nuts. Ironic, no?

At the end of the day though and to me, it's all about the hot rod industry. I support people that do it right and with the right intentions - big or small. Some of might have differing opinions on what "right" is and that's fine.

That said, I'm sort of amazed that people can look past this. I could never make a living doing stuff like that. For one, my dad would wup my ass if he found out.

13. 35 phaeton

35 phaeton
    from michigan

Ryan, you need to clean house of some of these guys. They don't seem to appreciate the forum much anyhow. Alliance member or not, I love this place.

Speedway. I still use them. I feel dirty sometimes when I do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The doors been open a long time and the wrong dogs are coming home.

15. SChotrod

SChotrod

Here is my final piece on this subject. Speedway, So Cal, Coker, Alliance Vendor or Member, and Joe whatever hot rod parts sell your parts however you see fit. Your customers will speak for themselves. Had no want to start a hail storm here just giving my opinion on a subject.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

And so long as you can give it without bagging on someone else, it's welcomed. Honest.

17. SChotrod

SChotrod

18. slammed

slammed

Speedway need any free advertising here? Really, does it need any feed back? It's story has been told countless time in media over the last 30+ years. You can sing it's praise, but the majority of it inventory is made by people in very unsafe, underpaid, near slave conditions. It's like a 350 chevy, use it if you have to, but keep it on the down low.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

How dare you pull the small block chevy into this... You bastard!!! :)

21. So Ryan, you are writting an article on what all busiesses they have done this to? I sure would love to read that when its done. Reverse engineering is done throughout the industry all the time, but some things are just too blatent to overlook.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... I have four or five articles on the burner at all times. That one has been on for a year or so... And it's not all negative... I'd really like to get an interview with someone at speedway to make it even more well rounded.

Frankly, I haven't worked on it much simply because I don't know if its important enough to me to deal with the fallout. This thread is a pretty good example... But I have to admit, I love writing about stuff like that...

There's lots of texture to it cuz admit it or not, speedway does a lot of good too. It's just a question of "at what cost?"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

Consumer watchdog. Ill read it :)

I've meet speedy bill and I have a hardtime beliving he is the man running the show today

24. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The real problem is that old Speedy has a skin thicker than Ted Kennedy"s, (or Dick Cheney's, to make it fair), and he doesn't care about the cost.

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like the common thread here for like and dislike is product and customer service.
    Cost/value is also a factor.
    I've never purchased from Speedway but I have from vendors that happen to belong to the H.A.M.B. Alliance. With the exception to one of them, I've had slow delivery and total lack of communication from them. I was happy with the product when it finally arrived. If someone had only communicated to me that the order was actually in process and that it might come in multiple shipments.
    I'm a little guy, small business since 1984. The only thing I have to offer is service and knowledge. I have access to all the parts everyone else has. When I get hung up providing service in a timely manner, because my parts guy has me strung out, I need to be able to communicate that to my customer. The parts suppliers that have turned me into a liar I no longer do business with. I become my customers hero when I get a parts guy that gets the part to me right away....or even better yet I have it on my service truck.
    It sounds like Speedy Bill knows that every car guy is a last second planner and has built a business around that. I'm going to a Museum of American Speed hosted event next month and check them out.
    As for built in China, I really hate those parts and am usually willing to pay a premium for USA made parts but even with major name brand items it is getting harder and harder to find parts that are domestically produced. I passed on Speedways 97 copies for that reason.
    Interesting thread and thanks for all the perspective.

LJ

26. mikes29

mikes29
    from kentucky

I've been buying from them for the past 5 years, they are my first choice . Speedway along with Mac's antique parts and Brookville usually have everything I need.

27. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I thought this board was about traditional Hot Rods and customs, not Kit cars and Street Rods and crate motors??? If you buy aftermarket anything chances are its made in China. Plus it has no soul anyway.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Soul" doesn't mean or account for shit, if you can't find what you need. That's why there's an aftermarket. A lot of people don't have the money or time to drive all over the United States, looking for parts with "soul". And how does any inanimate object get or even have a "soul"?

If it wasn't for the aftermarket, the number of cars at a show would be very few.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Now it's just getting stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.