Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help I.D. Old Dealer attic find Steering Wheel Pont./Olds ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grazy, May 9, 2013.

1. grazy

grazy

A local University has been buying up local propeties and tearing them down . One was a Texaco Station building from the 1920s I was able to get permission from the owner and cleaned out the attic before the school took ownership of the property. Another one I just got into was an old dealership building that is to become a maintenace building for the school it was an Oakland Dealership that became a Pontiac / Oldsmobile Dealership up to the mid 1960's this steering wheel is N.O.S. but had no tag or part #'s on it the only # it has is a #35 on the bottom side by the end of the spoke I need to know what year and model it is for I would love to run it in a Model-A sedan project and would love to find out what the horn button I need looks like and what column I need to hook it to my Vega box. Thanks for the help! The knowledge on the H.A.M.B. never ceases to amaze me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Great rescue. It is a beauty.

3. BJR

BJR

Looks early 50's to me.

4. grazy

grazy

I love how it has the look of a 40 Ford steering wheel clean simple but its slightly different. Was looking for a early 50s chevy wheel but found this.

5. jesse1980

jesse1980

Looks like a pontiac

6. F&J

F&J

If you think it is GM and if it has fine splines, I would bet it is a "chevy" spline. My 41-48 chevy car wheel fits right onto a mid 60s chevy pickup spline, and I once tried a modern 80s jeep wheel on the same shaft, and it fit also.

So, if you know somebody local that has a steering shaft from a GM, try the spline fit.

If it is GM spline, then you could do all sorts of mods to any column, by using the inner chevy shaft in a different column if needed. I did that to a 40 Ford column, and put the chevy shaft in it, so I could use the 40s chevy wheel.

7. What he said. GM had a big column shaft in some Buick/Olds/Caddy but the rest were all one smaller shaft and they used the same shaft and splines from the 1930s into the 1990s. AMC also used it, I even have some '70s AM General Army Jeep columns that would fit right on like it was made to.

8. looks like a 48 olds

9. grazy

grazy

I was googling images of interiors for different years makes and models of both Pontiac and Oldsmobile. Was begining to wonder if it was an optional or accesory wheel.

10. grazy

grazy

Tried Google images for 48 Olds wheels none looked right.

11. Could be a 1955-56 Pontiac 860-870 series standard wheel.The deluxe wheel had a full horn ring whereas the lower line cars used just the center button.

12. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Pontiac. I have one just like it. Not sure of the year though.

13. grazy

grazy

1956 Pontiac was similar but slightly different.

14. grazy

grazy

Help still looking for answers !

15. grazy

grazy

Anybody Help Please ! !