Register now to get rid of these ads!

was a "tin side" flathead 60 ever good ford racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by born late, May 9, 2013.

1. born late

born late
    from iowa

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some people with v8-60 knowledge. just stubbled upon one and now I own it. spent its whole life in a welder. had time to take one head off an the cylinders look really good. I believe it is low hours or rebuilt but I haven't measured the bore. my main question is regarding the "tin side" block. I know people seem to be against them but are there more disadvantages than hard to fix leaks and cracks? is there any advantages other than weight? if it were stuck or not complete I would probably put it under the bench or part it out. might be getting ahead of myself but if I can get it running would it handle a cam regrind and higher compression heads?

Attached Files:

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yes, they will respond to hopping up.
    They were not extensively used for racing after the 40's came out because of the smaller crank journals and tin sides.

3. born late

born late
    from iowa

thanks, that's nice to know. I'm the kinda guy that would probably never do a full rebuild on a v8-60 but I got into this one for less than some guys are asking for just the"81" Stromberg and I think it would be neat to keep it alive. do the stainless sides weaken the block quite a bit?

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

They are not as strong as the later 40 blocks but they will be ok for a mild hop up.

5. born late

born late
    from iowa

that's perfect. going to see if it runs, then start looking for some heads and maybe a dual intake if it seems like it has good life left. thanks for the info. I will keep you updated on any progress.

6. Midget25

Midget25

The tin side was 1937, they were used in midgets way back when. They don't make a ton of power but in a midget they went pretty good with the usual go fast stuff. They are actually worth a bit to collectors. Not sure if an "industrial" version is the same or not....................

7. born late

born late
    from iowa

yeah I'm not 100 percent positive that it an industrial block. planning on checking casting numbers but not sure if that will get me anywhere. kinda neat to find a 60 that's been held back its whole life by a governor.

8. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Go to - 31fordv860

9. rcobra

rcobra
    from wisconsin

The tin sided block was used in early 37,s then changed to cast iron. Other then that all 60,s where the same from 37 to 39, the 40 used the same block but had a improved crank, different bearings and a lighter flywheel. Also had improved water pumps. If your engine don't leak water, I would go ahead and use it as all 60,s are hard to find and expensive. Good Luck