Register now to get rid of these ads!

Five Favorite Hot Rod Photographers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Butch M

Butch M

Doug Reed Travis Dan Greenburg

2. longhorizon

longhorizon

What? No mention of Viva VanStory??

3. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Peter Vincent gets my vote - his work just takes me to another world.

Regards

Jon'.

4. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Wow thanks for the mention guys. Just trying to keep the sport alive.

Mine

Andy S
    David P
    Eric R
    And inspiration from other sources

5. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

hahahaha im always the thread and conversation killer
    old news , right?

6. TRENT SHERRILL IS AN AWESOME PHOTOGRAPHER!
    very down-to-earth kind of guy!

7. frank rempel

frank rempel
    from kingman az

Baskerville was the first guy who came to mind. Ganahl is pretty good too.As well as Mills, Alan Mayes,and a couple of other photogs at OSR and CKD. Frank R

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Wow! Thanks!

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Trying to pick others through unorthodox reasoning.. One of my favorites to look at doesn't generally take pictures of cars at shows or cover events all that often. His photography does impress me however. This fella I'm talking about is exStreamliner. If anyone's seen his build thread on the T roadster race car that he's been working on for a while now, they'll attest to this.

He is able to highlight the main subject of their photographs and show detailed shots of them. Probably one of the handful of build threads on here whose photography style I try to imitate in mine. I'm still learning more and more about my own DLSR as I go, so these pictures really motivate me to find better angles on each part I progress on. I generally try to avoid the common badly cropped pictures, or cut-off shots, out-of-focus shots, et cetera, that some guys make. There are guys who can take real good pictures of bad parts, and there are guys who can take horrible shots of a wonderfully-crafted part, then there are the few that take good shots of wonderfully-crafted parts. I'm not quite there yet with either aspects. :)

Bass also comes to mind.. His photography in his build threads are also what I'm talking about. Calls full attention to the main subject, clear, and very well thought out.

10. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

My lighting inspiration gets my number one vote because without seeing his work as a kid I would have never started trying to light stuff.......O.Winston Link. His train images are beyond belief, and to think that he made all his own stuff...... and hauled four miles of cable into the middle of nowhere.

Also on my favorites list

Scott Killeen
    Tim Sutton
    Wes Allison
    ......and R.I.P my mentor and best person ever on the planet Courtney Hallowell.....He taught me that there is more to Automotive photography than just making money......Its all about the people

11. mr.32

mr.32

John Jackson is very professional ! Josh Mllcher is great also.

12. I have to say Steve Coonan. I had the pleasure of watching him shoot Ray Bartletts 34 3 window in Warren Michigan for the 10th Anniversary cover. Steve rented an indoor facility specifically for automotive photography, but that was only a small piece of the final product. For a day he set up the facility, set up his equipment, checked various combinations of light exposure, combed over negatives, had filmed developed to check set ups. Spent another day shooting, arranged the car in a hundred positions, litereally painted the floor when we moved the car and tires blackened it, and probably 50 other things I completely missed. It was very impressive. I've watched him shoot outdoors too. Same pain staking attention to every small detail. All very excellerated as he captures the best light for whatever time of day. Check out his photos of the event coverage at Pimlico last year - impressive.
    In the end, all his work that I've seen captures the essence of our passion for hotrods, customs and racecars!!

13. Ice man

Ice man

Amen to that. We are not (Photo men) and we see the photo and say WOW that's a great shot and turn the page. Theirs more to it then clicking the shutter. That's why when we take a shot with our camera it don't look as good. Steves stuff is superb.
    Iceman

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

You nailed it! I would add Kurt Jones to the list. Medley taught me how to shoot a car feature with a single roll of film using a pawn shop 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 Yashica. If the HAMB is really "traditional" why are we posting digital photos?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  15. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Peter Vincent,Steve Coonan,Dale Monroe

16. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

For me, it was Eric Rickman on the west coast, and Bob Bissel in the Mid -atlantic and East coast

17. anyone remember Bob Hegge??? super guy of old

18. Chuck R

Chuck R

Steve C.
    Peter V.
    Joe Barnett
    Gray B.

19. april may

april may

I picked up Perry's book when I was 14 and that started me on my journey. Then 10 years later when I was 24 I was published in a book along side him. What an honor. I love how imperfect his shots are, yet at the same time they're just perfect.

20. 5w32

5w32

Peter Vincent and Scotty Gossen

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The Best in the business is Steve Reyes and Bill Truby in my humble opinion.

Jimbo

22. littlebluecoupe

littlebluecoupe

Dan Greenburg gets my vote

23. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Yep! I always liked his stuff!

24. Strother McMinn
    Of the modern cats- this young Cooper fella from Oz.

25. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

George Barris
    tim Sutten
    Andy Southerd
    Bob Hegge
    Bob D'olivo
    Rik Amado
    Coby Gwerts
    Joe Jackson