Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Dodge Rear Diff/Axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrmandryck, May 8, 2013.

1. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

Hello all, I come back again with a question about the rear axle in my 1952 Dodge 1 ton pickup. It's a flathead 6 cylinder (230) and a 3 speed manual. Here are my questions:

Does anyone know what rear axle/differential this has from the factory?

Does anyone know what other axles I could swap in its place (the measurement from leaf spring mount to mount is 45") I would like to avoid cutting off mount tabs on the axle and welding new ones on if at all possible so I was hoping for a bolt in setup if at all possible, if it isnt then I will have to go a different route

Thanks

2. 35desoto

35desoto

I am not sure on the pickup diff ratio's but the cars are normally around 4.1: and I think the trucks were 4,4:1. Don't know of a straight swap over with another diff without relocating the spring pads but the Ford Explorer diffs are popular and some B body mopars are a great fit. No doubt some others will chime in with better stats/knowledge

3. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

Thank you, I just have no idea what type of differential it is and what the ratio is or how to find out really

4. 73RR

73RR

You will find help over at www.p15-d24.com on the PilotHouse forum.
    A 1-ton will likely be in the 5:1 range.

What are you planning to do with the truck?

5. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Chrysler used their own differentials. Depending on your model designation, you probably have one of the following.
    B series used 3.73:1, 4.1:1, 4.78:1
    C series used 4.1:1, 4.78:1
    D series used 3.9:1, 4.3:1, 4.89:1
    DU series used the same as the D series above

Haven't done this for a while, so forgive me if I have it wrong, but jack up the rear end of the truck. Put a mark (chalk or masking tape on the drive shaft). Rotate the tire exactly one revolution while counting the complete revolutions of the drive shaft. The revolutions of your drive shaft per single revolution of your tire should give you your gear ratio.

6. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

I am looking at a few options that I really want to weigh out before I make a final decison (right now the truck is blown apart and almost all sanded, I will paint and prime in the next week) the seat has been recovered and I made some door panel pieces out of wood and finished them up yesterday. I am going to be building a sheet metal stepside bed soon once I figure out the exact length (it was a flat bed but thats all gone). It has the stock 230 and 3 speed but the trans is toasted so I have been debating rebuilding both and keeping it stock but I really think I would be happier bolting in a SB Mopar motor and an auto trans to give some more reliability and fun. I have some brake upgrades in the works and was debating if I should just swap in a more modern real axle with a more street friendly gear ratio and keep the stocker off to the side untouched