Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding Safety Topic. Worth Reading.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Hope this helps prevent someone getting injured or worse.

Attached Files:

2. Never2low

Never2low

Quick read....:D:p

ahhhh, added while I typed, hehehe

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Lots of good info, thanks.

4. You guys are tough :D......... was just cleaning it up a bit so it was legible.

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Cool, thanks.

6. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

these are scary times we live in for sure

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Still very hard to read, but the gist of it is, don't weld areas after cleaning them with brake cleaner, the heat and argon create phosgene which is lethal even in tiny quantities.

8. Never2low

Never2low

Wow! That's fucking scary! :eek::eek::eek:Going to garage to read labels....

9. Thank you so much for the info. Hope the dude is OK. Guess it doesn't pay to be in a hurry. That is some serious shit.

10. Never2low

Never2low

About a year ago, I made the switch from dumbass to smartass, good, bad, or indifferent, the verdict is still pending:D:D:D

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

12. We just had it as a safety alert at work. It's likely not something someone is going to do a search for..... if it saves a life, I'll take the blame for the repost.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Agreed..not bustin your nuts;)

just linking it for ya

14. No offense taken......... I'm married, they're pretty tough:rolleyes:

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

:Di can relate;)

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Good info, thanks for posting that

17. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The brake cleaner in the story is the non-flammable kind. The flammable kind has its own issues, but the poison gas described isn't one of them. Solvents like trichloroethane and trichloroethylene, and those stinky chlorinated carb and parts cleaning solvents, can also produce the poison gas described in the article. In addition to heating, exposing chlorinated hydrocarbons to ultraviolet/sunlight can also cause decomposition that produces poison gas. Even without the poison gas, the multiple health hazards from skin exposure and/or breathing the vapors of chlorinated hydrocarbons is well documented.

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yikes! Thanks for posting. But for the grace of God, there go I!

19. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Yikes. I'm glad I read that again because I have reached for the brake cleaner in a pinch. It made me uncomfortable more from a flammability risk but that is no bueno. I like to use a bottle with simple green and water, spray it on and scrub lightly with a plastic brush. It will cut the grease and contaminants no problem.

20. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

dont use acetone either.. believe it has tolulene in it.. for that matter dont drink diet cokes, do some research on whats in that stuff you'll be suprised..

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...and here's a little clue for those here that may be a dumbass like the guy who wrote the article... don't wait 9 days to go to the doctor when you get exposed to chemicals and start feeling bad.

22. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Acetone is acetone and toluene is toluene. Pure acetone should not contain toluene. Although toluene is more hazardous than acetone, to one degree or another pretty much all solvents are bad for you if not used correctly. Generally speaking, the more effective and active the solvent, the more health risks it has. There seems to be a direct correlation between how many skulls and crossbones on the container and how well a product works.

23. on a side note- some time back when I welded for a living, I worked makeing air compressors. Stood at my station on the assy. line all day. SOOOOOO one day they decide to start producing oil/air seperators next to my station, and before the sealing weld they would spray the inside with a rust preventor and then finish up welding it. Well the stuff smelled like rotting tomato's and made me sick to the point of up chucking.. so I go into the boss and tell him. He says I'm nutz and to get back to work so I put up withit for a couple days. then finally peel a label off a can and go see a DR.-- He calls OSHA and they tell him you aint spose to weld within 75 FT of the stuff, let alone ON it.. so I get a note that they are spose to provide me with a respirator to give my boss-- He gives me one of those cotton surgical masks!!!! ALWAYS check what you are about to gasify, and if not sure dont use it- you could end up real sorry

24. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Just read this thread for the first time, and I've been TIG welding (Hobby) for over 25 years... This is definitely a thread that needs to be BTTT from time to time..

25. Motomike43

Motomike43

I always heard how bad it was to use Brake Clean before welding but no one could ever tell me why? Now I know. Its neat to see the chemistry behind it all.
    Any Can that says on it "known to cause cancer and birth defects in the state of california" means its bad stuff to breath.
    Good thing I dont live in California HAHA just kidding

26. Choff

Choff

Maybe going to the doctor would have helped after the first hour!!!!
    Why did he wait so long??????