Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Model A highboy build journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

What a great build. subscribed.

2. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

I like what you are doing and how you present yourself. Maintain your course, keep us posted with your progress.
    All the best,

Dale
    Cleveland Oh.

3. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Looks like a cool build, can't wait to see more.. Subscribed!

4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

It has been a depressingly long time since my last post and since I even thought about the rod.

The Christmas present I bought the wife ('59 MGA) has been something more of a workload than I ever imagined. It is now road worthy and all jobs completed. So, I can turn my attention back to the A...

I bought a couple of pieces of I beam and plan to clean/paint the top and clamp the frame down to them. Hopefully that will keep things straight. I have a Dagel super X crossmember which you can see in a shot. So, next steps, clamp frame down, remove center crossmember, install super X crossmember, box the frame and then start to think about the axle/suspension.

At this rate I should be to the Goodguys events in 2020!

As ever, feedback welcome. If I am about to do something truly stupid please let me know. This IS my first rodeo...

Attached Files:

5. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Cool, following

6. That is awesome man! I'm now vicariously living my life through yours:cool:

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great project! With a neat fully equiped shop we expect to see a fine car roll out of there in a few years. Best wishes with the project. Bob

8. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Not much of an update but after finding the frame had sagged about 1/4 inch I had to use a trolley jack and raise it in the middle. I then tacked the middle to two more posts, keeping it solid AND straight.

Bought a few cans of Krylon high zinc primer and will be priming the boxing plates this afternoon. Then, I need to hold the plates up to the frame. I already know there are several places where the lower rail has been introduced to something hard, at speed, and there are a couple of waves. Need to use something to straighten it out. Then, welding time!!!!! My hope is that the boxing plates will be on but maybe not finished, this weekend. Then, I turn my attention to getting the cross member in place. Lots of measuring etc.

Not sure what the next step is supposed to be; front suspension? or, maybe mockup engine/trans? I will do some digging on here and see what I find.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep posting those photos, I want to see how those boxing plates and that crossmember go in. I'd like to have a rolling chassis together for mine by the end of summer.

10. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Well, this is all I have for now. Tacked one of the boxing plates in yesterday afternoon before getting called away.

Sprayed inside of frame and boxing plate with a high zinc primer. Welded on just fine. The fit of the plates is superb, clamped into place easily. Hoping to have the remaining three tacked into place today or tomorrow. Thinking of doing a trip to Posies to pick up a new front cross member. The original has a couple of cracks and I would sleep better knowing there are no hidden cracks up front.

Trying to get my head around rear suspension next. Ladder bar is likely the way I will go. Posies needs to know spring perch width which I haven't got a clue about how to calculate....baby steps.

Attached Files:

11. JoRodder

JoRodder
    from Belgium

Hi,

Very nice work!! looks great!!

12. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks for the replies guys. Remember, I am a COMPLETE beginner so what ever you see here can be done by ANYONE.

Annoyingly, I lost the charger for my camera battery and a new one only arrived yesterday. So, with a freshly charged battery here is an update...

The boxing is almost finished. Should have it done today. Then, I will be installing the Dagels crossmember. Hope to have that tacked in place tomorrow.

In talking with another HAMBer I have discovered that I really need to finalize my choice of wheels/tires and set the frame up at ride height. Then, I can place the axle and see whether I need to move the rear of the frame higher. I have been informed a '40 spring has a lower profile and this might allow me to avoid major surgery on the frame.

Will post an update after this weekend's work has been completed.

Attached Files:

13. wex65

wex65
    from WV

A major change in direction as of about 5 minutes ago.

After spending HOURS looking at photos of 30 coupes on 30 rails and 32 rails, realizing I would likely need to extend the rails on the 30, seeing the difference in ride height visual and the beauty of the 32 rails...I took the plunge and bought a set of 32 rails...

The impact of this change hasn't sunk in to me yet...

For about the last week or two it has been on my mind. I blame fellow HAMBer Rolph. It is ALL his fault. I have his build thread (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104922) bookmarked and THAT was what pushed me over the edge.

I know some will say it is a bad move but the photo below is basically THE look I am after. The fact I am also shoehorning a nailhead in is a coincidence. In my case a '55 322.

I will finish off the 30 frame with the boxing and Dagel Super X crossmember and sell it on. Some wasted work but I would prefer not to get more into the project and regret not switching.

Hoping I did the right thing, time will tell.

Attached Files:

14. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

It's hard to beat a chopt A coupe on deuce rails!!!

15. daddio211

daddio211

Can't imagine ANYONE would think that's a bad move. If they do just punch 'em in the throat. :D

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. great looking project man! keep it up

17. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

You did the right thing! Great project.

18. Right move. If I ever finish my roadster project I will be slapping a Deuce frame under my A coupe.

19. McFly

McFly

Chalk it up to practice. Great choice!

20. Great body too start with,chassis looks well cool.keep up the good work.

21. onedge

onedge

You will be happier with your decision especially when you get to sit the body on it.

22. daddio211

daddio211

I know this is just something else to ads to the LONG list, but consider a 1/2" channel. Makes a WORLD of difference!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

23. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Yes, saw Rolph do that on his build and liked it a lot. Ordered a set of rails to sit a 30 body on a 32 frame today...

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  24. bbaldwin

bbaldwin

WOW this is great and you seem to hit every step! I am also just beginning a 31 A coupe hot rod project. What are you planning to do, such as channel or not. What do you think about the look of an A coupe on model A frame? I was thinking 32 frame highboy with an inch or two channel and a 4 inch chop on top!

25. Just down the road from you in Winchester... Did the same thing on our rebuild... We started with a channeled coupe, unchanneled, bought a brookville a frame, sold it, now on deuce rails.

26. magneto57

magneto57

Leave it stock OH!! its too late................rich

27. adirondacks85

adirondacks85

wex65, great job with the journal, the build looks really cool. I also live in kearneysville and am hoping to build my dream soon (as soon as I think I've learned enough to be dangerous haha)!! Keep up the good work, I look forward to possibly seeing this thing finished at some local shows! On a different note, do you know if there are any welding classes offerend near us?

28. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Nothing that I am aware of. I looked for a long time but nothing. You might need to check out Baltimore or DC. A long drive but maybe worth it. If you find something let me know.

29. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I will be looking to lower the body a little as per what Rolph did on his build, link below:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104922

An A looks fine on an A frame, I just prefer the 32 frame look. The more i looked at them the more I fell in love with the look of the 32 reveal.

Re the chop, the jury is out. I will likely get it on the road and leave it as is for a while before I decide.

30. Lord Fairfax Community college offers welding classes at their main campus.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad