Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Me ID This Edmunds Cylinder Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HenryJGuy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

My boss bought this cylinder head for a Packard project car, but realized it was not for the right year engine. Stud count is different, and spark plug location is different. The spark plugs are evenly spaced, instead of grouped in 2's, and it takes 38 studs/bolts. I'm attaching a couple of pictures of it. Since he can't use it, he wants to sell it, so we're basically hunting information for when we list it. Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Wasn't someone looking for a pontiac eight head hre recently that looked a lot like this?

3. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Well, we're certain that it's a Packard cylinder head. Appears to be a later model head for one of their bigger straight 8 engines. I just need confirmation before I can list this thing for sale.

4. LowFat48

LowFat48

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Maybe HOT ROD PACKARD will chime-in here if ya put "PACKARD" in the title of this thread. He eats and breathes this stuff. DD

6. Joe G

Joe G
    from Minnesota

I have a '47 Packard Super Clipper (model 2151) in my shop for some rewiring that looks like that head would fit. I believe the engine is a 356"

[​IMG]

All the bolt locations and the heater line port location look identical. This head has the number 351253 cast into it ahead of the thermostat boss. For size comparison, this one is 33-5/16" center to center from the far front to the far rear bolt on the manifold side of the head.

Hope this helps...Joe G

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

The Edmunds head pictured above has evenly-spaced spark plug holes. DD

8. Joe G

Joe G
    from Minnesota

True. I figured that having the plug centered in the combustion chamber rather than above the exhaust valve is one of the features that made the Edmunds a better performing head than the stock one. Or maybe the smaller combustion chambers on the Edmunds forced them to move the plugs to avoid interference with the valves.

Where is that Packard expert when you need him???

9. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Yeah, the spark plug location puzzled me, but as long as the bolt holes are the same, it looks like it would work fine. Thanks for the help guys...any other info is greatly appreciated.

10. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Yep, edmunds head on my Plymouth flathead has a diff than stock cast iron head spark plug location too.

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Mine too... Edmunds moved the plug location on the Plymouth/Dodge 6 flathead, so they may have moved it on the Packard, too.

-Brad

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The plugs being centered, rather than above a valve, also enables the use of a higher lift cam without concern for a valve kissing the plug electrode.

13. belair

belair

Man, that is a lot of aluminum. Very cool.

14. CombatMotors

CombatMotors

the Packard experts are at PackardInfo.com