Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

2. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am curious about the valve stems with Schraeder valves inserted into the intake tube covers. What is their function? I'm guessing it is something to do with purging the alcohol from the injector system with air pressure. Any ideas??

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

5. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

8. Maybe they're an inflatable ball they just pressurize to keep the stacks plugged when it's not running?:confused:

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

My guess is that it's to remove the tapered rubber plugs that have been firmly pressed in the stack. The engine would need to be rotated to pressurize with closed valves.

I do the same thing by always putting my car in gear when unloading backwards off the trailer, thus clearing any fluids from the cylinders and popping the plugs out at the same time.

10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

[​IMG]

Don Gillette in the former Leightenberger Sprinter. URC around 1963

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

12. This car is beleived to be the CAE House car from about 1958. I have been told who the driver was, but I forgot.

Anyways, it is now in Wichita Falls , TX now and the owner was /is wanting any history on it available.

13. You might want to get in touch with some of the early members of the Golden Wheels up in Washington State. That car was put together by John Ross of the Seattle area. Not sure John is still with us.

14. backwoods96

backwoods96
    from Mead, Wa.

John Ross is still with us, living just north of Spokane ,Washington. I talk to John
    every now & then. I lined him up with the previous owner when he bought it.
    He is my neighbor, his wife was driving it @ the time with a group out of Spokane.
    PM me & I will try and connect you with John.
    Frank

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Cliff Griffith and the Tom Sarafoff crew with the ex-Aggie 98 Kurtis. A fine looking race car indeed.

Attached Files:

16. sideways27

sideways27

Rootie, is this the same car that Walt Faulkner put on the pole and came in 7th in the 1950 500? KK2000

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes, it is. I've always liked the nose and grill on that car, makes it look extra racy to my eye.

Attached Files:

18. sideways27

sideways27

I agree with you Rootie, The KK2000’s were some of the sleekest and stylized racing cars of their day. I am personally attached to Aggies 98, Kurtis Kraft Spl #7 and the Belanger Spl #99. To me these were the spirit of Indy racing back in the late 40’s and early 50’s. If I was going to build a replica or tribute car it would be one of these. I have had a couple of discussions with Arlen regarding this very subject but not sure where it will lead in the future. I know Arlen is partial to the KK1000 that his dad revamped the suspension and body panels for Wynns and Johnny Parsons which won the 1950 500.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Kurtis house car of 1948 with Tommy H. up. Finished a very creditable 9th but I suspect if Indy would have been dirt, it would have been much higher...:D

Attached Files:

20. sideways27

sideways27

If it were on dirt the first thing Tommy would have asked for would have been a knobby on the right rear.
    This is a another great picture of the Kurtis House car, I think the design and lines speak for themselves. Need to be signed in to see picture.

[​IMG]

21. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

I signed in , and I don' see no steenkeeng peecture...

22. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

The third shot, while a gorgeous naked Kurtis, is a different car; the house car has a double-tube frame and (if I'm not mistaken) an independant front-end. This is the car JP took to the AAA championship in 1949 and a rain-shortened 500 win in 1950.

23. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

Somewhere between five and ten Effyh's were brought into the US in the early 50's. (A total of 50-60 were made between 1948 and 1953.) In Sweden they were raced on dirt and on ice -- so they were designed with roll bars and nerf bars. (It's interesting that the car in the picture doesn't seem to have a roll bar.)

This car was at Lime Rock for the 2013 VSCCA Spring Sprints.
    [​IMG]

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yep, your right, that appears to be a later kk2000 chassis I got mixed in. Here's JP in 1950.

Attached Files:

25. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Notice the two pronged electrical connector on the side of the car in the first two photos. In 1948 the standard practice was to use an on board starter plugged into a battery cart to crank the engine. Some pre-war cars still used a hand crank.

However, in that same year Henry Meyer showed up with his Iddings Special stretched sprint car that was used to being pull started. Meyer came up with the first external "stinger" type surplus aircraft type starter that was inserted into the nose of the car. This saved some weight and the combination of a light upright car and a great driver like rookie Lee Wallard got the car qualified 5th fastest overall on the last day of Qualifications and a 7th place finish on race day. Wallard had failed to pass the last phase of his Rookie Test earlier in an old Duesenberg powered car because the car just wasn't fast enough. However, in trying to make the old car go faster and not scrub off speed Wallard kept drifting out of First and Third turns higher and higher and in the process discovered the modern groove that is still used to this day. Prior to Wallard the accepted line at Indy was to hug the white line all the way through the turns as much as possible even if it meant not using all of the track in the short chutes. Interestingly, even after Wallard showed the fast way around it was several years before all of the old timers would give the new line a try. And Wallard never got to drive another light weight upright dirt type car at Indianapolis until a few years later when he won the 1951 race using the same driving techniques that he first discovered in the Iddings car in 1948.

BTW, by 1950 (and probably even by 1949) the Kurtis car had been converted to use the external aircraft starter just like Henry Meyer did first in his converted sprint car. :)

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks Indy, that's good info. I had no idea the timeline of remote starters.

27. racer5c

racer5c

28. sideways27

sideways27

I thought I would try this again using a different method for displaying photos. I hope this works if so I am good to go. This is the picture of the Kurtis Kraft Spl. that I posted a few post back.

Kurtis Crew with Harry Stephens in the seat and Frank beside him [1024x768] [640x480].JPG

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ya think Don Smith or Chapman Root might of had some choice words for the track crew? :eek:

Attached Files:

30. sideways27

sideways27

The reason Frank and Arlen were so partial to the 1950 Wynns / Parsons #1 KK1000 car was because it was Franks own design with independent front suspension and it was a special car built in 1948 for the Indy 500 (Kurtis Kraft Spl #7. Frank was building the KK2000 during this time due to the owners wanting cars that would work on dirt as well as the 500. Funny thing is when Meyer / Drake ordered a stretched midget, I was told that Frank was not impressed with the car but built what they wanted. Frank would build whatever the owners wanted you will find KK2000’s, 3000’s and 4000’s with both axles / leaf springs or parallel bars and some with independent suspensions he also made a few front wheel drive cars. The frames were also different as some of the owners wanted them beefed up and some wanted 4 bar. This was also the same for the rear of the cars. Most of these cars used parallel torsion bars during this time but some were still ordered with cross leaf springs and solid axles. Most of his cars were different in some way and no two were the same. This was the growing process and as the dirt tracks went away so did the old cars and the KK500 became the norm.<O:p</O:p