Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods DO NOT buy a Speed Demon Quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChuckleHead_Al, Apr 6, 2013.

1. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I've been dealing with R.C
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=15724

who offers Speed Demon quickchanges:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442255&highlight=speed+demon

for over a year know, first to build me a Speed Demon Quickchange with a deposit of $500 dollars and my 47 Ford Rear end. Well after 7 months I had enough and wanted my money back and my rear end, well here I am 5 months later and a whole year and still don't have anything. R.C of North Central Speedshop keeps giving me excuses after excuses on why he can't come up with my money or my rear end. I spoke to another member here who I will not name if he wants to chime in that'll be cool and his reply is as follows:

Hey Al, I'm sorry to say I went through the same shit with that guy. I will NEVER order anything from him again. I paid in full up front, took over 7 months to get it and that was no easy task. Then, once I get the damn thing, it's fucked up! He warped the housing welding it up and the centers on the shafts where the change gears install were like .050" too close. Couldn't get a set of gears on it! WTF!! I don't know about you, but if I was building QC's for people, I think the first thing I would do when I got one done is slide some damn spur gears on the thing and make sure it spins before I mail it all the way across the country!!

So I call him up and demand a refund, at which point he gives me a sob story about some horseshit and talks me into letting him send me another unit fedex 2day... (keep in mind he's well aware I'm supposed to be leaving for bonneville in this car in less than two weeks at this point) Of course it doesn't show up in two days, it takes over a week because he sent it ground! So it finally gets here, everything measures good on it, I press the pinion out of the old one and its in there with used shitty bearings that are full of dirt and rust!!! I finally did get the car together the day before I'm leaving to drive it across country and the rear performed well, but it took a lot of stressful, last-minute screwing around to make it happen. I had to remachine the rear plate to get the pinion race to pass into the housing, had to recut the pinion snout to go into the cover bearings... BEWARE!! and check that thing over really well when you do actually get it.

You know, it would be one thing if he said up front it'll be 8 months or whatever... but to say it's gonna be 4-6 weeks and then make me have to pester him constantly to get any communication out of him at all just left me with a BAD taste in my mouth. Then he has the balls to ask me if I have any pics of the rear on the salt that he can use for promotion...? Jeeez! Good luck...

For my current build I ordered an early Halibrand replica unit from Sig Emerson at Rodsville. Had it in a week, and it is a work of ART! Hell of a nice guy as well, great customer service.

So I've been hearing these same excuses and enough is enough, I am know considering this a loss of both the rear end and my money and NO I'm not going to kick this guys ass, (THOSE DAYS ARE OVER FOR ME) I would never wish that upon anyone. This is just a warning for any of you who are thinking of going to him for anything. I've spoken to Ryan and maybe he can put him on the bad sellers list? Also I think he is an Allience Vendor on the main page as North Central Speed Shop, does anyone else see the name on there or am I just smoking? I really hate to do this, but I have no other choice.

2. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Also if you've had a positive or negative experience I'd like to hear it.

3. cracker head

cracker head

He should also pay the people he owes money to ....

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I was just thinking of these today. As I build up parts for my a-v8 I've debated going this route...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Going to finally resolve this issue.
    Going to pick up my stock rearend and some cash ($250.00) at the Pate Swapmeet from one of his friends, he can't even meet me to squash this. I'm still going to try and warn everyone about this guy. Quickchange, Speed Demon, Quick Change

6. cracker head

cracker head

You will get fucked.

7. cracker head

cracker head

Sounds about right......

8. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

He's only paying me half of what he owes me. I wish he could have met me at Pate to tell me in front of my face of his money troubles.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That sucks. They look like a cool rearend. I wanted one for my T but not anymore!

10. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Someone else has to step up and offer an non a aluminium qc

11. Old Guy

Old Guy

I built a fabricated quickchange.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415472
    I had at least a solid week building it. If you figure the material and the consumables, such as welding rod,argon,mill tooling and various other things, there is no way you could make a profit. Unless you want to work for $10.00 an hour.
    I am sure you could knock down the time a little if you had some of the pieces laser cut but it would still be marginal.
    The main reason I made this was just the challenge of if I could do it,but making any more of them would be too much like a job

12. 5window

5window

I wouldn't count on that,either, until it's in your pocket.

13. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exact same bullshit I received from this jackass. Year and a half now, deposit sent, remainder sent with shipping, now nothing. Back from Afghanistan for a bit and I dont mind a drive to Texas to extract payment.

14. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

Hey its RC,
    I was looking around on the hamb and saw that you had a lot of bad things to say about the QC. I am sorry you are unhappy with the rearend and didn't know you had that many problems with it. I don't know why one was off that much but it was, I thought I was really quick on getting It sent back to you? Again I am sorry you went through what you did, I don't do these to make money. I do them because people want them and nobody else will spend the time to make them. I had 23 rearends to put together right of the jump and when I say I can do them in 4-6 wks I didn't realize I would have this much work.
    Again i am sorry for the trouble that everyone had to deal with.
    R.C.

15. cracker head

cracker head

Ryan, you still fucking people out of there money selling this junk shit YOU are manufacturing??

Have YOU paid ALL the people you owe money to?? Or are you going to continue to be a fucking flake???

Curious minds want to know.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Thanks' for the heads up.