Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early pumps on late flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltflatmatt, May 7, 2013.

1. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I have a 8BA going into my roadster. Can I run the early pumps on that motor? It looks like I can swap all the new stuff off my 40 flathead and run it on the late motor. I'd use everything from the pumps, crank pulley and generator mount. I'm running the early cam and timing cover with the early heads.

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Matt,
    Here are some shots of mine, notice we had to plug the top "run back" hole in the block at the water pump face, and at the head/deck surface. You also have to plug one hole on each head as well. While you are mocking up your engine, you should find "top dead center" on #1 cylinder and build a timing pointer. Hope this helps, good luck!

Attached Files:

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind the early '38-'48 single pulley pumps had bushings that were "gravity" oiled through small holes in the block, whereas the 8BA pumps had sealed bearings. (the 8BA block does not have the ledges and holes to oil pumps) You may want to consider having sealed bearings installed in the early pumps, or install oilers on the early pump housings.

4. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks guys, I've got new speedway pumps and I called the tech line and they said they were sealed bearing.

But... What would I need to plug the holes in the block? It's just a bypass, they don't run into the block, they just go from pump to block then straight into the late head. Using early pumps and early heads there is no water running anywhere.

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Just get some soft plugs from the parts store to plug holes.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think if you are going to early heads and pumps, that bypass passage is entirely out of the loop and you do not need to pluggit.
    On the pumps I believe the new crop of reproduction pumps, Drake, etc. are sealed bearing and take care of that problem.
    Going early allows a flathead to be built several inches shorter than stock 8BA, gets you a good cheap ignition, and in my opinion gets it looking right in an early car or dragster. If you look at the old mags...practically no one used 8BA's in early hotrods or drag cars.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We use soft plugs in the block, however on the heads, we tap them pipe thread and screw in flush plugs before installing the heads.

8. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Exactly what and why I'm doing this. I don't like the look of a late flathead ignition and the clearance is in my favor that why I'm stirring up this topic.