Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to Modified Production look on '56 Chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vabeach56wagon, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Nice project, maybe starting a new trend. Modified was such a unique class, just loved the individuality of it all.

Budgets. If only we did not have to actually stick to them! Nice work and have fun with it.

2. Almost ready to run:

Harnesses replaced. Everything works EXCEPT I switched the hi-beam bulb and a cluster bulb. Five gallons of 110 octane in tank. Have to rebleed brakes and pull cluster to switch out the brain f*rt bulb mistake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It idles at 1000rpm, pulls hard through all 3 gears, no bog nor hesitation. Running 13degrees initial and 37 overall in timing.

The thing feels awesome, may try to make the Test and Tune at Dinwiddie this weekend before Super Chevy Sunday on the 18/19 of May.

The budget ran out before I bought some skinnies for the front and had the hood painted.

paul

3. Video after start up:

Fired the engine up....had to deal with minor leaks, especially the O-ring swivel water neck.

http://youtu.be/I0LpMGOxqLk

paul

4. I'm gonna be the odd man out,,the 2 lane blacktop style hood treatment doesn't work for me but it ain't my car,:rolleyes:,,over all I really like the car. HRP

5. ^^^^ What he said re. the hood. I think it would look better blue, but otherwise I really like the car!

Jim

6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

He did say his budget ran out before it could be painted. I like the car, really captured the feeling of modified as I recall it.

7. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Nice wagon, great idea.

8. primed34

primed34

The hood scoops that I remember were the tear drop type.

9. None of the work, time or money spent on it will be worth diddly unless this thing runs half way decent times in two weeks at Super Chevy Sunday.

Thanks, all, for the compliments on the car. Since 2002 we've enjoyed it as a project, a weekend cruiser, a street scene participant and a semi-show car. This version is intended to be a serious attempt at thrashing it to its limits. I want the car to be more than just the look. Modified Production was a great class in which to race: engine manufacturer same as car, street trim required, no engine setback, tires inside body lines, exhaust system in place, lights, horns etc. to operate yet haul bloody ass.

MP was NHRA's place for the Jr. Stockers it ruled into obsolescence and for the street racer to compete. Wish they'd bring it back on the same kind of cu. in. to weight ratio and damn the bracket run outs.

I'll be halfway happy if the thing gets below 13.5 this first time out.

paul

10. The Ford Fairlane Thunderbolts popularized the tear drop hood. Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins was the guy, to my knowledge, who created the cowl airbox which was such an important part of 2Lane's look. This photo is from 1969-70 of my primitive and budget-stricken C/MP car:

[​IMG]

paul

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Good Luck , I'll watch for you on ''Pass Time'' tv:D:cool: