Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drive in theater stories....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Mar 7, 2011.

1. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

People in the trunk yeah it happened. My drive in had a little playground down front for little kids to play. they used to run some specials like dusk to dawn shows. My girl and I told our folks we were going they only half listened and were real upset when we didn't come home till daylight.

2. Ive never read something from porknbeaner that wasnt amusing or the truth lol! Sir you ROCK!

3. Like the dino there all goin extinct! Only four left in Iowa! Over 150 in its hay day ! To bad things change!

4. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

My girlfriend and I spent a lot of time at the many drive ins in Tulsa. Don't remember any of the movies except one, Two Lane Blacktop. I knew I should have gone with my buddies as I didn't get to see hardly any of the movie. I'd keep popping my head up to try see some of it then she would pull me back down. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't mind at all what was going on in the back seat, but, I did want to see that flick. I had to go back the next night by myself to check out what I missed. Lots of good memories at those old drive ins. Watched 'em disappear one by one. The last one in Tulsa burned to the ground ( the Admiral Twin) a few years ago and a group of people rallied to raise some funds to help resurrect it. It's being rebuilt even now.

5. The wife mentioned the other day that she wanted to build and open a drive-in up when we retire. She wants to have the play ground for the kids and the whole nine yards.

So I told her cool maybe I can see an old movie or two, and she just smiled and said "why would you think that?"

I think she is serious, she wants to call it "Make-Out Mansion."

alanp561 likes this.
  6. Wow, buddy! You nailed it. It was indeed the best of times.

alanp561 likes this.
  7. Another one from the Bay Shore LI, NY DI. It was late 1973 or so. I was double dating my future ex-wife, my buddy and his girlfriend. It was a cold night and I borrowed my dad's '68 Chevy wagon. We had blankets since hanky panky was expected.

The couple in the back seat was doing the horizontal bop.... and she was a squirter long before we knew what that was. After I dropped everyone off... the car had that unmistakeable low tide scent to it, no way I can bring it home. Of course its 15 degrees out and the 24-hour 25¢ car wash is closed. I ended up buying some glass cleaner and a roll of paper towels at 7-11 and bought dear old dad an Xmas tree car freshener just in case.

Bob

alanp561 likes this.
  8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Booze, Backseats, Foggy windows........Movie what Movie

9. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

When the wife was a little girl.. she was at the Drive-Inn with her folks and her lil' brother and sister in the big ol' Bonneville wagon... Dad went to the snack bar.. a few minuets later a guy jumps in to the front seat with a pile of food from the snack bar.. He looks over to see it's not only not his family but a Japanese Family.. She said she wasn't' sure if the man or her Mom screamed louder.. he couldn't apologize enough...

10. deuce354

deuce354

X2, Concieved my first daughter at Wexford Starlite Drive-In, Now they have a big weekly car cruise threr

11. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

My son would like playing xbox on one rather than sitting through a movie on one. C'mon summer so we can get back in the garage.

12. FordManBoomer

FordManBoomer

Speaking of spotlights, I had a plug in spotlight that shot out about a million candlepower (Heck, I dunno how much, but it was just friggin' bright!), and when all the clowns started the spotlight wars, I'd wait a few minutes and then from the back plug mine in and light up the whole screen! After about 30 seconds, the weak ones gave up!

13. FordManBoomer

FordManBoomer

How well I remember, Saxman, ALL those drive in's from Tri-City, Baseline, Foothill, Mt Vernon Twins, and clear out to Fontana Bel-Aire. You must have had some good times! No doubt! They are all gone as we post.

14. FordManBoomer

FordManBoomer

I had a friend on CB radio that had a LOUD voice and could get really loud if he had to! He once recognized me as he was in line at the snack bar and I had just walked in. There must have been 150 people in this snack bar (Mt Vernon Twins, if anyone remembers it, like SaxMan might.) and he yells, "BOOM-BOOM!" (half the noise in the room drops...) and then, "BREAK!!!", twice as loud and the room goes into silent mode and most of the people behind the counter start looking around to see what is going on! within a minute, everything returns to normal.

15. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

I had a 69 Mustang Fastback in my Senior Year.

It wasn't a folding seat model but I converted it into one, cut the x braces out and had a nice opening into the trunk. With some carpet pad and some of the bed pillows with arms you could get real comfortable in the back.

I would back it in, grab some beer from the cooler, and we would watch the movie through the rear widow. Only one problem, the back window would fog up after 1/2 hour or so.

Guess that's why I went to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid every weekend one winter.

Hey does anyone know how that movie ends?

16. Model T1

Model T1

None of the above is true! And I never ever drove a tractor to the drive-in! We were city dudes. Always watched every movie from beginning to end. Honest Mom!:)

alanp561 likes this.
  17. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Damn, there sure are some Youngsters posting on this thread. Does anyone remember all the goofy Beach Movies with Frankie and Annette ??? Who can forget the infamous biker, Eric Von Zipper and his crew. (Mid to Late 60's)
    Sex at the drive-in was always good. The older I got the better it was. Last experience was in my Chevy Van. I was divorced and in my 30's. My Main Squeeze and I would go by Pizza Inn to pickup our takeout order and since I knew the owner there would also be a bottle of wine stuffed into a bag of ice. Once we got parked we would recline the front bucket seats and watch the movie from the bed in back. It was really nice to have Pizza, Wine and a Hot Squeeze while enjoying the comforts of the Van. Since we had pizza and wine for dinner we usually had dessert during intermission. You guessed it, "Hot Fur Pie".......... Jeff

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If your kid brother was in trunk it was mandatory to drive from the front row to the back row attempting to get air over the jumps.

alanp561 likes this.
  19. Saxxon

Saxxon

Back in the 70's I was working at a gas station about a mile or so from the drive-in. 3 guys in a late 60's 4 door Oldsmo-buick roles in for gas. About 30 seconds after I start pumping gas there is a loud frantic knocking and yelling coming from the trunk. The driver runs over and lets out his 2 buddies they had planned to smuggle into the drive-in. Both were almost asphyxiated by the gas fumes.

alanp561 likes this.
  20. bmita

bmita

one of the great times at the drive in, sitting in my hot rod with a couple buddies, drinking having a good when the guy next to me fired up his car to show how loud his pipes was, which lead me to fire mine up to out do him. if it wasnt long we had damn near every car in the joint cracking their pipes off. it got so loud the turned the movie off til we are shut our cars off. it just dont get any better than that.

21. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

I remember back in '71 we were going to take a buddy's 64 chevelle to the France Ave drive in in MN. We always snuck in one or two guys and this night was no different. So the two who lost the toss crawled into the trunk and we loosed the back seat back so they could get into the car without opening the trunk. We headed to the drive-in on a dirt road and the guys in the trunk started pounding and screaming....we were coming up to the Drive-in so I pulled the seat back open to tell them to shut up.....well, a cloud of dust and dirt come pouring out of the back so I shut the seat back and once we got though the gate, they rolled out of the trunk into the back seat covered head to toe in dust and dirt!!! The quarter panels were all rusted out by the wheel wells and all the dirt kicked up by the rear tires was in the trunk...and covered them...man were they pissed....and we couldn't stop laughing!!!

22. 1gearhead

1gearhead

When I was a senior in high school 1962 in Auburn, WA there was a drive-in in Kent, WA that we used to go to all the time. I had spent a month or two trying to get this young sweetie to go out with me. She finally said yes and she would go to the drive-in with me. That being said, meant an almost guaranteed score. The date finally arrived and I picked her up in my 55 chev. As is well known it rains a lot in the Puget sound area and this night was no exception. The young lady and I were getting along very well. Near the end of the first feature it started to rain. No problem, in addition to webs between our toes, we northwesteners were prepared for such conditions. We had canvas visors that we erected over the windshields to keep the rain off and were able then to continue watching the movie. All was well until I got back into the car and stretched my legs out to straighten my pants and their contents. The bottom of my wet muddy shoe went against the fuse panel on the firewall and shorted it out. Shorted it out so bad the it started a small electrical fire. The fire grew, and we got out of the car. Cars that were parked near us moved and we stood in the rain and watched the car burn to the ground. The fire department didn't arrive until the car was pretty well consumed. I found a friend of mine that gave us a ride home. The Chevy was a total loss, and believe it or not the girl would never go out with me again, in fact she never spoke to me after that.

alanp561 likes this.
  23. In 1973-1974 being a broke college student, my car also doubled as my swinging bachelor pad. I especially liked the DI when it was pouring out. Between the fog inside and the rain outside, the windows were as good as frosted glass.

I'd slide the seat back on my '64 88 and it was as good as a king-size bed. Age 18, naked with a big-jugged blonde, it didn't get any better than that. The rain gave it a nice ambiance.

One time, I was leaving in the wee hoous in a down pour. I cut across the lot heading out and all of a sudden, I have something dragging under the car, WTF? Of course no flashlight, so I gotta get down and look under the car. Under the front crossmember I have a tire and wheel jammed in tight. I had to get out the bumper jack and raise the car up so I could get it out and be on my way.

Rob

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

Yes Way. Thats what drive-ins did after the public stopped going to drive ins.
    It kept the drive-ins profitable a little longer. I remember sneaking in, the noise and dust from the cars and walking to the snack booth

25. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I laughed out loud on this..

26. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

We still have a Drive-In in our town. Infact they are having a "Retro Night" next week and playing "Grease" & "American Graffitti".

This was on the website for www.holidaytwindrivein.com

Giveaway!
    Posted on Sunday, April 28th, 2013 at 3:56 am.
    Written by Snackbarqueen

We’re trilled to offer our first retro film night of the season on Tuesday, May 7th. Our screen Two will be showing; Grease, the Sing-a-long version with the co-hit American Graffiti.

27. Drive-ins were GREAT!...I got laid many times....Now, 50 years later, I'm catching up on all the movies I missed. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

28. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Ok, here's my story. If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. ALL TRUE.
    So, it's 1983, and I'm a recent HS graduate. No money. But loved the drive in. Actually worked there 3 nights a week all through college in the summers. It was a very big, 4 screen monster drive in.

So, somehow I manage to get this date with this girl that was way above what I should have been dating. I told her on Saturday night that I'd pick her up and we go cruising.
    I pull up at her house on my $400 motorcycle. Dad meets me at the door and says, "No daughter of mine is riding on the back of THAT."
    So, I race home, and beg my mom to let me use her 1971 Camaro. After significant begging, she says yes. Now, I'm already low on $$$ because I put $3 in the tank of the bike.
    I get back to her house, and dad says where are you taking my daughter. I say the drive in (probably wishing he had just went along with the motorcycle). He says "Home by midnight, or it will be your last date". I knew he was serious.
    We leave, pick up a 6 pack, and head 15 minutes to the drive in.
    We get to the drive in, park, and decide to walk to the concession stand for popcorn. We get back to the car, and it's just gotten dark and the movie is just starting.....and I realize I locked the keys in the car.
    So I walk back to the office where I know everyone cuz I work there, and have them call the sheriff. They say hour and a half. I think "ok"....until I realize the beer is in the car and I'm about out of money.
    So, with no blanket, we hop on the hood, with popcorn, windshield wipers stabbing us in the back, and watch the movie....and it's HOT out....and then the mosquitos come in biblical purportions.
    Finally right about the end of the first movie, the cops come and let us in, and, of course, informs me it's illegal to have beer at the drive in (which I know....cuz I work there and confiscate it all the time). So he takes the 6 pack of beer. We have nothing to drink, and the popcorn is long gone.
    Next, being an 18 year old idiot, I realized that I should have borrowed my dads car and not my moms because....the camaro has NO AC.
    We get in the car, start watching the second movie, windows cracked a bit, skeeters attacking, windows fogging.
    The second movie is just about to end. It's like 11:45. If I leave before the movie ends, I beat the traffic and it gives me just enough time to get her home by 12. So, with my lights off, I start making my way across the gravel lot heading toward the highway....slowly....and the car is gently bouncing....and I realize as I just get to the edge of the drive in exit and the entrance to the highway that....I have a FLAT TIRE. So I try to compose myself and get out and start unloading the truck (luckily, my dad was one of these very well prepared guys, so I had a REAL jack and a REAL lug wrench, and towels, and GoJo, etc....but two of the movies are now letting out, everybody is passing us with gravel dust spraying everywhere and everybody honking and laughing at me, like hundreds of people, and I get flustered and I can't break the lugs loose, and in the wink of an I while I'm in the trunk getting a can of Krol Oil, I look and she had got out of the car and had all 5 of the lugs broke loose.
    Oh, and I'm wearing a new white shirt (which is now grey at best).
    I get her home, it's like 12:25. Her dads at the door waiting. She stays in the car, I walk up to him at the stoop and all I said is "I got a flat".
    He looks at me and says "Do you REALLY think I'm gonna fall for the FLAT TIRE story???
    I said "no, sir"
    She walked passed me as she walked to the door and I was walking back to the car. She didin't say a word.

Believe it or not, I dated her for 2 years. Said it was the most fun she'd ever had on a date. Got the story of a lifetime out of it.
    She's a cop now in a big city up north.

29. Motomike43

Motomike43

I am 31 and was only at a Drive in 1 time when I was about 5. The last Drive In theater in my area was about to close. My parents took me there just for the experience. They were playing the First Batman w/ Michael Keaton. I had nightmares of my parents being killed my the Joker for years.

30. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Ellettsville Indiana used to have a triple X rated drive in. They would have a wet tee shirt contest before the movies. They always showed three movies and if they only had two they would show the first one twice. There was a lot of people switching cars and partners. Only had to be 18 to get in so we took a car load of my buddies to check it out. A real eye opened in 1981.