Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas on Rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jorswift, May 7, 2013.

1. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

Hey all. I am in need of new tires, but I cannot afford white walls at this time. My tires are all cracked and dry rotted. I am thinking about painting the rims a different color to set them apart from the car. What color do you all think? Thanks.

I was maybe thinking a gloss white....

Attached Files:

2. classic gary

classic gary

you gonna paint the rims or the whole wheel?
    paint the rims white and leave the center of the wheel black.

3. birdman42

birdman42

How about some trim rings?Then get some cheap narrow white walls and grind the sides to make wide whites.

4. My opinion; I think white will draw attention to them and make them really stick out.
    I like the black with the centers you have, maybe add some trim rings?

5. Paint them red! :D HRP

6. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I would change the Cragar wheels for some standard steelies, still black, then save up for some whitewalls.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Try and find some 50s Dodge-Desoto or Chrysler wire wheels. They are great looking and can be painted. I had a set of Chryslers (5 on 4.5 circle) on my P15 (46-48) 5Pass coupe and then transferred them to my P15 woodie wagon. Still have them today, 2 in the garage and 2 on a Mullins trailer and picked up a nice set of Dodge/Desotos for the new T roadster project.

8. bgaro

bgaro

i like the trim ring idea, with black on blackwalls

9. I agree. It needs some color, to qoute Luigi " it blends into the pavement" some color would be nice, how about orange and make it the Fat Jack look? White spray paint sticks pretty good to old tires, ever try and get overspray off? Tape them off and spray on some white walls while youre at it.

10. Orange would work,,,spray bombs are cheap and experimenting with color can't hurt. HRP

11. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

For sure, beauty rings with the spider would look killer. Thin whites, then have a guy grind an extra "Pinner" white next to it. Super early sixties.

12. bgaro

bgaro

what color is your interior? hard to see in pic

13. Yep red red wheels. :D:D

copper.

14. raymay

raymay

When you buy new tires, skip the white letter. Not a good look on that type of car. Look at some of the cars in the rod magazines. Black tires are fine and if you drive a lot they are easier to keep clean. Your centers look good. You always have the option of trying different centers or caps that you might like. I would try to find a color that compliments the color of the car or maybe the interior. Reds and oranges are popular. A set of narrow trim rings would give the wheels a nice finished look.
    I put some steel wheels on one of my old trucks and got more compliments about the wheels than I did when I had a pricier set of mags on it.

Attached Files:

• 45.JPG
      45.JPG
      File size:
      118.3 KB
      Views:
  15. F&J

F&J

A very elderly friend says 47 Plymouth had these wide stainless rings that cover most of the wheel, and then the stock cap in the center. But some mopars, maybe a bit newer, used wide rings in white. Both would look good if you can find some. Blackwalls or whitewalls would be good with these rings.

I paid $10 for this set of 4 at a swap, real early in the morning; 15".

I have seen the painted ones at swaps, they came in 15 and 16" sizes

Attached Files:

16. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Paint 'em GOLD.

17. I personally like when the wheels stand out. pick any color and put the trim ring on, they will look great, No white lettering on the tires!

18. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

I second this..

You hardly ever see anyone use Chrome sides.. They look real killer with no center hubcaps.. and for the love of God dont paint the rims red

19. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

GM Caprice White walls & paint the rims white.

Or

New Small cheap$$ Remingtons White Walls with a tri-bar Hubcap.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I used to have raised white letter Firestones on my Super Stock Galaxie.
    Had a hell of a time getting the fronts & rears to line up the same when stopped...

Luckily, I found a brand new aluminum floor jack to lift the car and rotate them 'Name-Up' as soon as I parked. If I lit the rears to 'line 'em up', the fronts would be different left-to-right.

How did you do it? In the pic...?

21. DrJ

DrJ

Put some full hubcaps on it.
    Preferably '57 Plymouth or similar.

22. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

The raised white letter tires can be shaved to a whitewall. Although you did say yours were cracked. I bought trim rings off a late 80's Chevy full size van from a junk yard - $20 for all 4 and they look good on my black wheels. I will be adding chrome lug nuts and a chrome bullet to the wheels. Yours have spider caps that are just begging for a chrome trim ring. good luck

23. Br8kNek

Br8kNek

Paint the tire sidewalls white. Guys do it all the time.

24. jesse1980

jesse1980

I'm going with red

25. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I am going to look for some stainless trim rings. And maybe buy some spray bombs for color ideas.

26. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

I never noticed it. I have no idea, I never tried or cared really. thanks tho

27. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

Only white walls I can afford are Firestone Precision Touring. But they only come in 215/70/15. I currently have 225/70/15 on front and 235/70/15 on rear. Will this look funny?

28. HellzBelle54

HellzBelle54
    from FL

I don't think the black looks all that bad...clean em up, ditch those tires and go with something a bit more narrow and black wall, bias if you can find it and drive the shit our of it...