Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Project Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pottsie454, May 7, 2013.

1. pottsie454

pottsie454

Hey guys, along with the 53 pickup, 29 model a, and the 38 olds projects Ive got going on I picked up a decent 55 for a song. Solid old car, floor pans, mounts, seals, trunk and rockers all seem to be solid. Ive got a lot of work to do to the hood, front and rear fenders, and door skins.

I intend on making a true period correct gasser. And this thread will detail the extremely slow progress (note the list of already current projects), but I need to pick your brains on what would be a true period (post roll up window rules) correct gasser motor? It comes with a 1962 327 out of an Impala I believe. Ive seen a lot of gassers at shows but most of them have a blown small block, I want to be different, but I do plan on dragging the shit out of it when I am done so Id like to have a car that will make me nervous to get all in.

Here are the pictures where it sits currently. I pick it up next week after my first (and last) wedding. :)

Other then whats pictured, it does come with all the chrome with the exception of the door spears. They were taken off to prevent them from rusting if I had to guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pottsie454

pottsie454

According to vin, and body tags, this was a 55 210 with a glacier blue/ shoreline beige car and providing the sheet metal wants to co-operate I will be trying to repaint it the original look.

3. biscaynes

biscaynes

nice find, sweet original color combo! i'll be watching...:cool:

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. dblgun

dblgun

How about a six? A hot 235/250 would be cool and not seen to often these days.

5. pottsie454

pottsie454

God knows they used them back then, and it would be different. But Ill be damned if I cant pull the front wheels.. ;)

6. biscaynes

biscaynes

7. pottsie454

pottsie454

Damn thats a sexy looking 55. It pains me a bit to do a gasser style because I love the look of the original, but Ive wanted a drag car for some time and I think this is my opportunity.

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks like a cool project but If its from around here It would be a rare find if the floors,floor braces,inner and outer rockers,trunk etc is solid, with the fenders, doors, and quarters needing help, and even more rare if it was cheap.

9. pottsie454

pottsie454

I agree my man, it actually was traded to the guy I bought it from recently and it came from Florida. Not that salt is any better then humidity but it is a solid car surprisingly. I plan on taking more pictures next week to post. It wasnt "cheap" but it was very fair. Fair enough to say if I sold the parts I didnt plan on using I could probably recoup most of it.

10. pottsie454

pottsie454

More pictures. I hope to trailer this girl to my house this weekend or next week..

As you can see the firewall took a beaten over the years...
    [​IMG]

Front end seems to be complete and ready to sell for someone who needs one..
    [​IMG]

Grill shell also looks to be a good candidate for cleaning and a redip, I plan on buying a flip up fireglass so most of what you see here will be for sale in the future too.
    [​IMG]

Interior is dated, but surprisingly clean and tear free! Nice roll and pleats too.
    [​IMG]

Originally a 3 speed car, still has the clutch pedal assembly. I am in hope that I can re-purpose it and make it work for a muncie.
    [​IMG]

At first glance the rocker and seal plates look to be a good shape. After crawling around on the tick infested ground, I find otherwise.
    [​IMG]

All the dash trim comes with the car and is in very good shape.
    [​IMG]

Creative solutions award go's to the original owner. No whole for a shifter? No problem, wheres my tin snips? ;)
    [​IMG]

Another tip snip instrument installation...
    [​IMG]

Original gauges seem to be in very good shape.
    [​IMG]

Truck is near rust free. Comes with the fuel cell. Not sure if it is NHRA approved though? The definition isnt clear to me, am I allowed to have the fuel cell in the trunk if is closed off by a seat/sheet metal?
    [​IMG]

Original rear end a believe. As far as I know is in good shape enternally. Will be for sale aswell. Whats a reasonable asking price?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is where things get a bit dissapointing. Nothing that cant be fixed, just misleading from the great, but factory looking conditions up top.

Front body support/cab corner/lower fender
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...MAGE_3C48D4D1-145E-4D6C-9DEE-53788BDAB8D6.JPG

Rear body support
    [​IMG]

Rocker. The good ol fix it with fiberglass and resin. This will be fun to fix.
    [​IMG]

That's the update folks. I got pictures of the 327 that came with it, but theres not a whole lot to say about it. Forged small journal crank block out of a 62/63 Impala, but do not have factory heads (882s come with it, boooo). I am hoping to find someone to trade for a 454.

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Can't fault you for getting married, just this once. Just Sayin'.:eek:

12. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Keep the project moving, it looks like you have a neat old nostalgia car to start with.

13. pottsie454

pottsie454

;) thanks Frederick. Here is a pic from our recent nuptials, note the mini car show in the background. It was a 50s themed wedding, she looked amazing!

[​IMG]

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

She looks like she's into cars also, that's pretty cool.:)

15. pottsie454

pottsie454

Yes sir, she has a lot of fun with them. Our first date was at Beatersville car show, you may have heard of it.. Shes helped me twice now with the comp cams 350 build off. We had a 32 min time last year if my memory serves me correctly.

16. moos38olds

moos38olds

Its going to be a fun project. Can't stop until the front wheels get off the ground.

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like you've got a pretty cool project ahead of you. I'm guessing you are planning on a straight axle install. Why not go with taller coil springs and ball joint spacers instead? Less of a headache and plenty of the cars that ran the gas classes used them back in the day.
    As for an engine, how about a 409? Those were pretty good engines and it would definitely set your car apart from the sbc cars.
    Congrats on your marriage to your lady hotrodder. Sounds like a pretty good match.
    Subscribed.

18. pottsie454

pottsie454

I considered the spacers but from what I understand they are prohibited in NHRA. My intention is to get in the high 9s, not at first, just gradually. But more importantly is to stay as nostalgia as possible. Ive defiantly thought about the 409, but in my parts they are as rare as a 426 hemi.

19. Wow! I love your '55! Great color combo... nice.

Sam

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your gonna have a lot of fun building and driving it !

21. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Great start Gas the heck out of that thing Post lots of pics

22. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

Make a gasser!

Attached Files:

23. dad-bud

dad-bud

Cool lookin' project. Keep us updated with your progress, and enjoy yourself.
    Cheers.

24. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Wow! Reminds me of mine when I started. Keep us posted for sure on your progress. Fix it right and once.
    Jay

25. Butch M

Butch M

going to be cool love them 55 chevys