Register now to get rid of these ads!

53' Chevy truck suspension safety question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by intuitive iron, Jan 1, 2013.

1. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Hello... I've got a 53' 3100 with a fresh 235 that I just put in last weekend. The truck came with a SID's 4" dropped axle that I plan on putting in real soon. Question: I plan on installing the Sid's dropped axle and removing some leaf springs. Has anyone used the dropped axle and removed springs in conjunction with an air over leaf set-up? I have all the parts to do this set-up basically for free. I just wanted to make sure there's no safety issues that I'm missing. My goal is to lay it low while parked but lift it a few inches while driving. I realize It won't lay frame and that IFS is a better alternative but is this an unsafe situation. I want it to look killer but I don't want to get killed looking cool. Thanks in advance for any help..

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you asking about air-over-leaf on the front?

I am not a big fan of air-over-leaf, at all. I would never put it on the front of the vehicle. Axle wrap in the rear causes pinion angle change. Axle wrap on the front changes the caster angle, and relational camber and relational toe, and would CAUSE bump steer. In short, it's not a good idea.

3. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I have one of Sids 4" axles under the front of my 58. I left all the springs in though. You won't get a lot lower by removing them and I think you find the lose in ride quality not worth the drop. It will bounce a lot more. How are you planning on installing the air bags in front?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Yes, it's on the front. That's what I was worried about. Perhaps a static drop is the way to go until I can afford the IFS switch. Thanks

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I would do. You will like it, and it will look cool.

6. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Sid's removes 3 leafs and claims a softer ride. I planned on welding bag mounts to the frame and to the axle. If this will cause bump steer or a dangerous driving situation then I'll just put the dropped axle in and pull a couple of leafs. Thanks

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you remove enough leafs to get it to drop for an air-over-leaf setup, the springs will be so soft that the axle will wrap (rotate) under braking. When that happens the drag link from the steering box will get yanked, which will either take the wheel out of your hand, or steer you into the ditch, or some unfortunate combination of the two.

8. intuitive iron

intuitive iron

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! That's exactly why I asked... I appreciate the wisdom. Gonna put the drop axle in and scratch the thought of Air Over Leaf. Thanks again! There's no substitute for experience...

9. You can pull leafs out of your stock spring pack. I know this is an old thread but just found it. No worries with bumpsteer if you do the steering arm modifications that Sid's recommends and sells. I pulled 2 leafs out of my front set and it rides so much better than the monoleafs I used to run.

Find us over in the AD truck group. Tons of info and knowledge/experience over there. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=132

10. A 4" drop axle will put you below the scrub line with 15" wheels fyi.

11. ...if that's you in your avatar; you won't need a dropped axle.