Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to-satellite radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aviator, May 7, 2013.

1. Aviator

Aviator

Thinking about adding satellite radio for the '34. What's the best way? Recommendations...pro and con

2. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I switched to it. I like it a lot. I have a magnetic antenna not much bigger than a quarter that I placed inside my car under the windshield on one OT car and on the top of the A piller corner of the roof on another. the wire to is is really skinny and easy to hide under a door seal ot windshield rubber. Reception is great. My receiver is smaller than a iphone and can be used in conjunction with a hidden power amp under or behind the seat.
    You can purchase these units cheap from the XM folks when you buy the service. they try to make it easy to do business with them.
    As for problems, the billing process is weird if you have 4 cars on the plan and they all started at different times...ask me how I know.
    The receiver has just three tiny wires.. A power wire that can come off the cigarette lighter, a tiny antenna wire and a small output wire/1/8th " phono plug to the amp.
    As long as I can afford to pay for the service I will never listen to the old radio crap anymore.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Couldn't agree more, Have four XM subscriptions and love the variety of stations and quality of the sound!
    Very easy to install!
    KK

4. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

I've you have a smart phone with unlimited data such as sprint you'd be better off just using the Sirius App and running it into your radio input(if you have one). A heck of a lot simpler.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

You can put the magnetic antenna on the cowl and snake the lead through the firewall.

6. Motomike43

Motomike43

I agree. Use your Smart phone and use Pandora or IHeartRadio APP. any modern head unit will have a hook up for plugging your phone in. All you should need to buy is a cable to plug in.

And if you don't have a smart phone... Maybe its about time

7. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

I dumped it because of the expense.
    I'm on the road all day and got tired of the repeated comedy, and I'm not into the sports. Howard was getting thin with new interviews which just left the music.

cbc.ca as all of that through my iphone. Check it out if you don't know about it. It's a free app.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah maybe it is...but I do kind of enjoy looking at paper maps, asking directions and getting lost.

How much is XM? How much more without Howard Stern?

9. wdglide

wdglide

I ditched Sirius and just use Pandora on my iPhone.

I paid $36/yr for Pandora with no commercials, but if you can handle a few commercials an hour its free with the smart phone. I don't have unlimited bandwidth but I never come close to my phone's 2GB cap.

And the smart phone goes where ever you go. In the garage, and at work, I plug it into the boombox.

10. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

i do alot of car audio for guys in their hot rods and just use a smart phone with a unit that goes under the seat and a amplifier with 4 speakers works great. the unit under the seat charges the phone also while its plugged in..

11. Curt B

Curt B

On my OT winter ride I put in a deck with a usb input. More tunes than I can ever get tired of and no fees.

12. CRZNDUCK

CRZNDUCK

Just upgraded to a new Sony head unit with Sirius and put it back up above the windshield mirror in my 33. We stuffed the antenna up in that cavity as well in that the car is glass thinking it would work. Well it did long enough for the XM Signal to authenticate but now it drops in and out every 30 to 45 feet...really annoying. I did not want to put the antenna on top of the car, butt ugly. I run with open hood sides can the antenna work on a frame rail? Otherwise the Sony is amazing. The Bluetooth is great.

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I like the sirius radio it sucks you gotta pay a whole year though. I dont like being an asshole looking at my phone while im driving. Then when someone calls it interrupts the music. So i like the sirius, its like 120 a year. Since i have four road worthy hot rods and i like music in all of them, i built a plywood box that holds a radio, the sirius box, and two speakers. I built it so it could go under the passengers legs, or on the seat. Its got a handle on top that i can wrap the wires around, and a bar to protect the radio. I used bullet connectors on the lead wires and the sirius antenna just goes where ever i want it that works. I know this isnt ideal for everyone but it works for me. I also made some long leads with clamps on one end and bullets on the other so i can take this thing camping or other places and have it outside the car. It needs a cup holder is all.

14. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

on the phone deal if your traveling accross country, dont you need internet service? with my XM head unit i can go from NY to calif and never loose my channel

15. What's a radio?:D

My two Deuces are so loud I couldn't hear it if I had one,besides I like the sound of a loud engine and the rattles of a old car,,to me that is music!:D HRP

16. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer my crystal set with an external amp.
    The only problem is on road bumps sometimes it jiggles the cat whisker off and I have to re-set it.