Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 wagon need info on installing fixed glass windows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, May 7, 2013.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Anyone out there who has experience or knows of a good thread with the step by step on installation of the rear fixed windows?
    The car is a 1959 Nomad and has the stainless trim all around. It had "dumdum" into the track to seal between the body and the SST.
    The window id then pushed up against the trim with clips, not sure what to use between the SST and the rubber seal.
    I'm also not sure what if any thing needs to be in the rubber seal as it goes around the glass. I suppose that it the same as a windshield of rear window?
    Any help from those who have "been there' done that" would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Streight8

Streight8

If you get no replies, the factory shop manual usually has the necessary tricks in it. Lots of glass will only go in "that way"

3. R0l0

R0l0

I will ask the guy that did mine for me, and let you know.

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

I would think it would go in the same way that the windshield went in.

5. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks for the comments guys.

Thought i would start with the little ones, cleaned up the 4 i had to chose from and put the rubber seals on. with the old seals to compare and it was fairly easy figure out how to put them on. Can see why there is a need to add some sealant. It looks like the "Flap" will face out and be filled with the dumdum and then compressed.
    the pair that will go back on the car have a few scratches but will be fine.

Still looking for tips fron othere who have done them

Attached Files:

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

You'll find plenty of info online about installing glass. I think it's like electrical stuff for most people. iT seems scary, but it really isn't.

Warm the rubber in the sun if you can, if not try a hair dryer. Get some liquid soap and smear a thin coat into the crevice that the body seam goes into. Next you're going to want to fill the crevice with a string/thin rope long enough so that the ends overlap. Mine always break, so the last few windows I've done I've used plastic coated wire, but the thinner the gage, the more likely you are to cut the rubber so be careful. Flatten one hand (or someone else's) on the outside of the glass and press firmly, but not too hard. As that happens, pull the string/wire from the inside of the car. As you do, the rubber will start to wrap around the lip. It won't look like it's going to fully suck the window onto the car, butit will in the last inch or so. Adding the stainless trim is no different, it just makes it mmore of a balancing act.

FWIW, my wife and I installed the windows on my '59 witout trouble. We even did the windows on her '51 Bel Air hard top (2 piece windshield, 3-piece rear window). THAT was a PITA, but we still did it. It helps to have a friend or 2 helping, warm rubber, and soap/soapy water.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For rubber lube try shampoo instead of soap. Get some at the dollar store for a $1 buck. Do not use your wife's $45 stuff. You will get in trouble.

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks for the tips on the soap/shampoo. the way these go in getting the rubber on the glass may not be too big of a problem. Hellfish'd comments may be right "I think it's like electrical stuff for most people. iT seems scary, but it really isn't."
    it may be that just doing it is the only way to find out. if it has to come back apart again i guess it will be easier that the first time (when i was too eager and broke on of the windows).
    it will be better than it was no matter how i do it.

anymore tips on windows were the rubber goes on away from the car and then you mount would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Remember to spread your hands flat as possible (spreading out the force) and push gently, but firmly. The rubber is what will suck the glass on to the frame. Pushing just helps it along.

You probably don't need dumdum, in fact, I think it is not recommended. I used black RTV in some places though.

All windows I've ever seen were installed with the rubber on the window first, then the whole assembly was installed on the car. Putting the rubber on the car first seems like it would be really difficult without any benefit.

10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks
    the reason for considering the DumDum is that was on the windows when they came out.
    Think I'll do the little ones first and see how it goes.