Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 F1 bent front axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zodiacsix, May 7, 2013.

1. Zodiacsix

Zodiacsix
    from England

Forgive my simple questions always on a learning curve.

I have a very slight bend in my 48 Ford F1 front axle causing a negative camber to left hand wheel. It was already on the truck when I got it, not much but noticeable.

I understand the axle is a forged type, could I use heat to bend back the axle? I've gone through topics on here but most refer to significant bending and use of a press.

It is a stock 6 cyl motor and wont ever be subject to hi-po motors or high speed.

Any help welcomed!

2. skidro69

skidro69
    from Dothan, AL

Do not heat it.

3. Fenders

Fenders

Go to a truck shop, they can correct it.

4. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Have you checked to make sure its not something in the spindle, hub, bearings or kingpin? While it is possible and does happen that those axles bend, it takes alot of force to bend them. If it is bent, you want to find a shop the specializes in Semi-Truck axles and such, as they would have the knowledge and equipment to fix it.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Bending the axle was quite common in properly aligning these trucks. Today because it's been so long that a light straight axle vehicle has been produced only the big truck shops have the equipment and skill to do so. I believe you call them "lorries" over there.

It's common for the passenger side of the front axle to be damaged due to curbs and such.
    All bending was done cold. Heating the axle may anneal it causing it to be prone to bend again. You may want to go to the local Fire Brigade or City Shop and ask them where they have their trucks serviced. If they are like American Fireman they should enjoy seeing your truck.

6. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, go to a truck shop.

4TTRUK

8. Peterooster

Peterooster
    from New Jersey

You could also try caster wedges between the spring and axle. I used them to correct the caster on my 50 F1.Pete

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pete, CAMBER...

10. Zodiacsix

Zodiacsix
    from England

Thanks for replies guys...guess main advice is not to heat, so that taken on board!

Guess I'll try search for a shop that can handle the axle......that can wait 'till winter though!!

ZED