Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs FB Holden Station Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ceegrey, May 6, 2013.

1. ceegrey

ceegrey

Hi All,
    A little more progress on the FB Wagon, got the front panels installed with the bumper in place and a fibreglass roll pan.

Attached Files:

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sorry, but it just looks too tall in the front with the roll pan and even more so with the chopped top.
    Thats just my opinion,do as you please.

3. I figured out why the roll pan is disturbing to my eye. ( took me a while to go back to the 70s ) :D. Every kid or hoodlum took the bumpers off his FX, FJ, or other old Holden and did the roll pan thing but did,nt put the bumper back on. I would say your roll pan is more of a splash pan. EJ & EH come to mind. Do you need that big slot to cool the 360 V8 ?

4. ceegrey

ceegrey

Yes I are using the radiator from the 2005 Holden Maloo, all aluminium cross flow so it has to mount quite a bit lower and there is a transmission cooler included. I am debating the bumper, bumper on bumper off, not sure yet I will wait until it is on its wheels.

5. Paint the roll pan black when you are ready .

6. ceegrey

ceegrey

Thanks for the thought, black might just do the trick

7. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

I've got a sedan myself and that idea looks dreadfull mate, mine sports enough body mods to meet the ASRF Custom ruling 2 times over and then some. Like you i built mine myself.

The problem i see here is the slope of the sides of your front mudguard's (fender's) are at one angle and ya front pan sides are at another. It looks like adding it was an afterthought.
    Plus it's to low, and that sucker is going to hit every driveway, speedhamp or dip in the road if you don't hit them slow and diagonally and even then that thing will.

I'M THINKING you got the idea from something like a 54 + mercury where the bumper extends below the main bumper and sometimes people paint the lower part. I could be wrong. My suggestion is this to make it flow and look factory i'd limit the thickness of pan depth under the bumper to no more than 3" or 75mm. Anything lower and you might as well add a front spoiler, personally i'd limit it to 2"s or 50mm lower.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  8. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Agree with Scratchbuilt. Have you even thought about trying to get into a drive way or over speed humps with that thing hanging under the front?
    And it dosent even match in with the panels around it.

9. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Scratchbuilt, you just about rewrote your post after I put mine up? :confused:
    It would have been easier to just put something new up because your original comments are still part of mine.

10. Take the bumper and the roll pan and move them both up - Together. Bring the whole deal up so that the bumper effectively becomes a center bar through the grill opening.

Maybe one of the photoshop gurus could post a pic up of this ?

11. ceegrey

ceegrey

Thanks for the input fellas, the build is not a street machine but a pre 1965 traditional custom, so very low is the go. Some more pics up shortly.

12. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Great to see another EK on the HAMB, doing a ute myself

13. ceegrey

ceegrey

There is a little progress on the Wagon, needed some remedial maintenance myself but did get a little done over Christmas, after a bit of a search found a fuel tank to replace the original 40 something litre that would fit the original opening, the tank is 68 litres lifted from an Australian EF Falcon Utility, fits well and doesn't hang to low. Also completed the welding on the floor, primed and painted with sound deadner, hope to put the final colour on mid Feb.

Attached Files:

14. Nice !!!

That rollover cart is pretty neat.
    Any details on that?

15. My EK scrapes the front plate and bumper and is only lowered 4 or so inches in the front......even with the short front overhang that's gonna scrape everything as stated above...... Including your fancy radiator if it's that low.

Underside looks neat, wish mine was that clean underneath.

M

16. ceegrey

ceegrey

The rollover cart is made from heavy wall 2" dia pipe we bent up four corners in a hydraulic bench bender and welded in the straight sections and used outriggers fixed to the door hinge plates, cheap to make and has lasted through the whole project. We used the wrong castor wheels initially and had to swith to steel wheels on the rear, two people can use it.
    Here is an old photo of the project when we first reinstalled the roof, the Plymouth torsion bar and 14" wheels have already been installed, looking at that I think there is sufficient clearance for the roll pan/gravel pan haven't decided on the bumper yet

Attached Files:

17. ceegrey

ceegrey

Another small step forward, completed the installation of the firewall, drilled for the Chrysler 360, some stiffeners pressed in, etch primed and sound deadner sprayed in. The new floor panels are in place along with the fabricated seat rails for the Toyota Camry interior.

Attached Files:

18. I'm posting this for the hell of it..
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Like how your wagon is progressing- real old style way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. luke13

luke13

^^^^^and just a pinch of sandoz labratories^^^^^^

20. ceegrey

ceegrey

Hell Spoogie, thats kinda kool, I have an EK ute one of the boys in the group might like to take it on.

21. Thanks. It's misleading proportionally, too short etc., but the ideas still apply. Yknow, steel mods. 2 narrowed '53 Studebaker pans, one inverted, could make the front pan. FB tailights look good in FB utes, rather than the FC's they had.

Hope you progress well with the wagon, very cool..