Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1960 Olds 98 daily driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, May 6, 2013.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

SO today I traded my beloved '61 VW Bug for this bad ass, big ass Olds 98!! It has the 394 that I haven't fired yet, and some tranny issues I mentioned in previous thread. But I figured since I own the car legit now it deserves a build/progress thread :D

The guy I traded with, my new friend Brad, owned the car since 1998, when he finally convinced the old man down the street to sell it, drove it for a few years, and then parked it because of the transmission problem 12 years ago. Now she'll be back to her daily driver glory and will hopefully see many more happy years of service! all I plan on right now is keeping it simple and just making a reliable car out of it. Kustom stuff will come later, but for now I just dig the car as it. Albeit it needs some cleaning, minor rust repair, and of coarse some nice white walls..

It was painted white some time ago (its still lacquer, so at least 70s/80s), and must've been a really really nice paintjob in its day. Completely jammed, even unter the sill plates and in the engine bay. It also has what appears to be an aftermarket wiring harness, with glass fuses still, and whats left of a velour hedliner, so I'm guessing it was restored when it was painted. dash, seats, and door panels, as well as the paint on the roof, appear to be factory though. The original color was bright gold; the parts where the white has come off and the gold is underneath really sparkle in the sun. What a combo, Gold with a red roof and red interior!:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a neat shot of the Olds and my Bug getting hauled off in the background...
    [​IMG]

This thing has about every option...power windows, power seats, A/C, heat, clock, and a stereo!!! I've never even seen a stereo in an old car, but it has controls for left/right ballance and even bass volume!! who woulda thunk!?
    [​IMG]

And in my opinion the best option, a tow package!
    [​IMG]

2. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I was wondering about the rear bumper, just out of curiosity... Ive seen pictures of a lot of these cars with the bumper painted body color except for the upper frowny-face part and the two grills. Was this part of a certain trim package?

3. Nice Olds.....should look good when you get it spiffed up again.

I graduated from high school when that car was only one year old.
    I really don't recall seeing any with a painted rear bumper......I just
    remember them as being all chrome.

I did find a picture on the net of an Olds with the top of the bumper
    painted, but the car has been customized. See if you can find any
    Olds literature or old magazine ads on ebay showing the rear end of
    these cars.

[​IMG]

Some general info found on the web................

The 1959-1960 Oldsmobile 98 and Super 88 was more of Oldsmobile's biggest and brawniest, this time from the "Linear Look" years. Like other GM cars, the '59s resulted from a crash design program responding to the enormously successful '57 Chrysler products that decisively seized industry styling leadership (only to lose it by 1959).
    These models also reflected a new GM body-sharing plan. Olds fared fairly well aesthetically, with the least flamboyant lines of any '59 GMer save Pontiac. It was little heavier than before despite the obvious dimensional increases and much greater glass areas.

A stronger new semi-unitized body/frame structure (aft of the cowl) helped. So did a larger Rocket V-8 for Super 88/98, though power wasn't up much due to a slight compression cut, a nod to a newly economy-conscious market.

There were many other improvements, too, including "Air Scoop" brakes, "Roto-Matic" power steering, and two-stage "split choke and fast idle mechanism." The Super 88 Fiesta wagon was now a pillared model.

Simpler "Balanced Design" styling with new lower-body sheetmetal identified the 1960s, which continued the economy trend (begun in '58) with still lower numerical axle ratios. A 98 convertible paced the 1960 Indy 500.

These Oldsmobiles were as long ignored as the 1957-1958s, but stronger value appreciation potential now reflects increased collector interest, especially among younger enthusiasts.

Pluses of the 1959-1960 Oldsmobile 98 and Super 88:

Low, wide, and not overdone (especially '60s)
    Performance still ample
    Built somewhat better than 1957-1958s
    Big and spacious
    Active club
    Some models very scarce now yet prices remain reasonable
    Minuses of the 1959-1960 Oldsmobile 98 and Super 88:

Ragtops expensive
    Still rather rust-prone
    No more J-2 option
    Supers more like standard 88s
    Some body/trim parts difficult to find
    Size
    Production of the 1959-1960 Oldsmobile 98 and Super 88:

1959 Super 88 Celebrity 4-door sedan: 37,024; Fiesta 4-door wagon: 7,015; Holiday SceniCoupe hardtop: 20,259; Holiday SportSedan hardtop: 38,467; convertible: 4,895
    1959 98 Celebrity 4-door sedan: 23,106; Holiday SceniCoupe hardtop: 13,669; Holiday SportSedan hardtop: 36,813; convertible: 7,514
    1960 Super 88 Celebrity 4-door sedan: 35,094; Fiesta 4-door wagon: 7,230; Holiday SceniCoupe hardtop: 16,464; Holiday SportSedan hardtop: 33,285; convertible: 5,830
    1960 98 Celebrity 4-door sedan: 17,188; Holiday SceniCoupe hardtop: 7,635; Holiday SportSedan hardtop: 27,257; convertible: 7,284
    Specifications of the 1959-1960 Oldsmobile 98 and Super 88:
    Wheelbase, inches: 123.0/126.3 (Super 88/98)
    Length, inches: Super 88/98: 218.4/223.0 (1959), 217.6/220.9 (1960)
    Weight, pounds: 4,135-4,390
    Price, new: $3,178-4,362

Engines for the 1959-1960 Oldsmobile 98 and Super 88:

Type Size Horsepower Years
    ohv V-8 394 cid 315 1959-1960

4. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

That's so neat, we never got em down here.

5. Not sure what they mean by semi-unitized. The frames are seperate from the body on these cars. Unitized means welded into one assembly.

That radio may be worth pulling and running the numbers on if it is actually FM stereo, some of the 1960s radios are big money and it's likely that is not the correct original radio, I don't think you could get an FM car radio until '63 - but I think the later ones swap right in the dash holes on your car.

6. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

woah, this thing is killer! I've never seen one of these before, it looks tough :)

Hope you get it on the road and cruising soon, I just read your other thread asking about the transmission and I am sure you will get it sorted with all the knowledge around here!

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  7. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Thanks for the compliments!! Today me and my girlfriend (well, mostly her :D) are valuing out all yje rats nests and other junk, and I'm fixingthe parts of the wiring harness that were chewed on. Overall the thing is pretty solid and complete, only big think missing is the a/c compressor. Are those hard to find, or is it a generic GM thing?

Here is the painted bumper I was talking about... From what I can tell 88s got this treatment, and 98s like mine had full chrome. I think the painted one looks cleaner, personally...
    [​IMG]
    1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 by That Hartford Guy, on Flickr

8. 574door

574door

That is sweet... The top is squished like some factory chop.. Cool. I see what you mean by the painted bumper, it makes the other chrome pop, looks cool! Enjoy the ride, it is unique!

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

10. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

That Olds is killer. Make a build thread as you and your girl get after it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see progress.

11. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Just some more pics...

Here's some shots of the interior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres the motor after we vacuumed at the big rat nest around the carb. Air cleaner was on while it was stored, so nothing nasty got down the carb. Its actually still shiney down there!
    [​IMG]

This is the stereo, its AM only though. If anybody has info on this, I'd be very interested in learning about it. I've never seen a radio with these controls in a car. I just assume its stereo since my record player console from the same era has the same controls...
    [​IMG]

It also has the Safety Spectrum speedo! I'm curious to see how it works. Does anybody know how these actually work?? Its completely mind bogling to me...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

And this is the wiring...... Why do rats think this stuff is so tasty!?!?!?!? At least all the colors are still vibrant, so fuguring out what goes where is easy. The most challenging part is when you find a broken wire and can't find the other part of it, but thats not so bad. So for I got it so the windows, tail lights, brake lights, and dome lights work! One step at a time, right?:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stock caps and rings too! It also came with all four 14" rims, but I'll be running the 15"s that are currently on it I think...
    [​IMG]

13. studemisfit

studemisfit

Pretty cool. Hopefully one day in future ill be able to use my 62 merc as a daily.

14. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Looks like if you spend a whole weekend cleaning the car inside and out it will come up really good. Interiors a bit tired but nothing that cant be fixed up with some seat covers for now

As for that wiring, man I will never know why rats enjoy eating wiring looms so much! I work at a dealership here in Australia and the number of rodent damaged cars that come in surprises me. They get into everything on some cars.

Some of that old wiring looks a bit second hand, might be original in places? I would almost be tempted to rewire the whole thing eventually if it was me.

Does it have a brake pedal? The master cylinder looks to be ancient!

Anyway, keep up the good work

15. Cool car, keep it up man.

That wiring is scary....

16. Radio looks original, just has a balance control for front/rear speaker.

Harness looks like a later GM piece to me, at least the fuseblock does, it could even be stock.

17. rld14

rld14

The speed minder is kind of a precursor to cruise control (which wasn't offered on Oldsmobiles till 61 or 62). Basically you set a speed and if you exceed it a buzzer goes off. It's an uncommon option if I remember.

VERY cool car and I love that you're going to daily drive it!

18. rld14

rld14

Oh and radio actually looks like the option alone assuming its a wonder bar. Those used either a push button or a wonder bar radio.

19. 2 reasons why I picked my '60 was that I thought the steering wheel was the coolest and I liked how the speedometer changes color as you go faster.

20. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

That is a sweet ass ride!! I can't wait to see you get it going! That car has some really, unique lines and it wouldn't take much to make it stand out because it already does!! I just picked up a family bomber too, a '64 Bel air. I've never had a 4-door but can see that it'll be handy with my kiddos! Have fun, Man!!!

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

I dig that with a shovel!!!! :D

22. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Wiring....wiring wiring wiring..... First thing after I cash my check tomorrow I'm ordering a harness from rebel wire and tearing all the old stuff out. One of the fuzzy little critters got waaaaaaay up in the dash and when I finally got to the point I felt comfortable turning on the accesory switch POOF!!!! filled the car up with smoke. Luckily it didn't catch fire, just melted a bunch of stuff...... While I'm waiting for the harness to arive I'm gonna tear the dash apart, really clean everything up good, clean out all the vents and ducts, make sure its spotless in there with no traces of rats anywhere..... I figure with how much rodent damage there is, a whole new harness is good insurance and piece of mind.

23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

24. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Ha, well, that wiring was pretty ratty anyway! Best its fully replaced now then!

Get a painless wiring kit or similar for it, pretty straight forward. Mind you, your car seems to have quite a few factory options, might keep you busy :)

25. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I found a factory harness on eGay for 125 bucks... It's for an 88 tho, so no power windows, seats, or A/C... The power accessories should be overlay harness though, and the main harness is the same, right?

26. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

Trust me... The american autowire harnesses leave a lot of headaches out of the wiring equation!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Got some white walls today!! One more step closer....

[​IMG]

29. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Nice!

You need to lower it now :)