Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaking steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ole_Bill, May 6, 2013.

1. ole_Bill

ole_Bill

I've got a '36 Ford tudor slant with a leaking steering box. I've heard the box is a bear to get out of the car. How do I temporarily refill the box and what do I put in it? I plan to pull it as next winter's project and probably replace it with a box from a later car because I'm told that will make a large improvement. What steering box should I be looking to buy this summer to make an easy exchange next winter?

2. Used to pump them full of chassis lube.

3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

There is no easy exchange unless you find an already converted one.
    A 37 Hudson, 53-56 Ford F100 and several others can be converted to use.
    The mounting is primarily the part that needs changing.
    If you use the F100, it has built in self cancelling turn signals in the column.
    In any case, it will feel like you have power steering when you get done.

There is a lot of info somewhere on the HAMB and Fordbarn (early v8) about F100 conversions.

4. ole_Bill

ole_Bill

Thanks Pete - does your answer mean that I have to change the column along with the box? Do you know if an aftermarket box is available?

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Use a 37 up box should be just about a direct bolt in and has much better internals same as a F-1 box. Go to a farm tractor dealer and get a tube of "corn head grease" very thin but won't leak. chassis grease is a very poor fix as it soon channels and does not lube worth a damm.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

When you change I agree 100% on the '37 up box. adaptation to '36 column is also pretty simple...we can find year of correct length from the parts book chart, re-drill the hole for the lock to put it in '36 location. and put it into '36 tube. Easiest mount is simple to heist the frame bracket fron a '37-40.
    BUT for now, first try this:
    Pull the lower plate, easily done in car. you should see a tube attached to it that carries up past the oil level---if damaged or missing, leak time. If you are not using the original bottom mount light switch, you can also just plug the center hole.
    Use 140, grease will wreck the thing fast unless it is reallydamnrunny grease.

7. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

John Deere cornhead grease.

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

Fill it with grease and your done!

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, grease. The steering box in my 27 always has seeped 90 WT or 140wt gear oil since day one, so I pumped it full of grease from my grease gun and no more leaks. I think the grease is a satisfactory lubricant also as it isn't like the gears inside are spinning constantly, as they would in something like a transmission.

Don

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

You chassis lube guys : Research "channeling of grease".

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Grease is for recirculating ball steerings...unless it is so light that it could be mistaken for 140, it is pretty likely to kill your gears. As in "channeling of grease".
    In 1928, Ford put a grease fitting on the filler plug of the Model A steering...because they used a rig with that coupling to pump the gear oil in on the assembly line. Some idiot assumed that the dealership mechanics were soooo well trained that they would read the damn book and know to put oil in there...
    Unfortunately, it was still the real world out there and lots and lots of new Fords got their steerings shot full of chassis grease at first service call. The results were deeply troubling and the zerk disappeared from use there...

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I like straight STP oil treatment.

13. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

The Corn Head grease from John Deere is not a chassis grease, it has a completey different make up and is a semi flowable grease it does not channel, so it will stay around the worm and sector with no problems.

14. larry k

larry k

mobil makes a flowable grease, mobilith shc 007, it is used in the heavy truck & trailer industry, it is a thick grease but it still flows, you can push a finger into the grease and pull it out and it will leave a hole ! but as you watch,,, it will slowly close up right before your eyes ??? so it won't leak out,, but it will flow over the gears, just what you want, you can buy it any heavy truck shop by the pound.

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

I've always known that grease is not good and have wondered, "why not fill it with grease then add gear lube to flow into the grease channels?"

16. Curt B

Curt B

What he said. Urban John Deere lawnmower places will bring it in with a couple days notice and at $3.99 at tube it's cheaper than other options. Gear oil leak stopped right away for me and the easy way to put it in is with a cake decorating bag and a spatula.

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Has anyone tried using the synthetic lubes? Those are reputed to have good "sticking" qualities.

4TTRUK

18. Penrite Steering Lube. My box leaks with heavy oil like STP or Moreys, but not a drop with Penrite Steering Lube. It's very thick, black gooey stuff and it's brilliant. Great for early Ford universals too.

19. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

X2 on the Penrite steering box lube, designed for the job, I had a weeping 33 box, filled with this stuff, all good now

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad