Register now to get rid of these ads!

216 vers 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olderone, Oct 26, 2012.

1. olderone

olderone

I've got a problem with my 235 chevy at 65 to 70 the engine starts vibrating.
    my question is. is there any difference in the balance of the fly wheel and crank shaft pully off of a 216 chevy engine? I am useing the 216 pully and fly wheel on the 235.
    Thanks for any help

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

No as orignaly made.

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

There were several 235 engines. Is yours pre '48? If so the same items are usually interchangeable. But after '48 most of the 235 parts may be different. I do know I have two of each. One '47 216 still has the Babbitt rods, the other has insert bearings in the rods. The same with the 235's. The first thing I'd suggest is you make sure the crankshaft pulley is installed correctly. Even the difference in a key can make a difference. Or if the key is completely embedded in the key way.

4. olderone

olderone

I Took A 235 Fly Wheel To A Machine Shop And Had It Turned Down And Installed The 216 Ring Gear On The 235 Fly Wheel. There Is Now NO Vibration At All Up To 85 MPH.So The 235 Fly Wheel Is Balanced Different Than The 216 Engines.
    Thank To All That Replied.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Wrong , they are both neutral balanced . That is Chevy sixs do NOT use external balance dampners/flywheels. Balancers and flywheels for 216-235-261 are balanced by themselfs not . If what you did fixed the problem it means the orignal flywheel had a issue ,balance or what?

6. Ole don

Ole don

If you have a 235 going 85 MPH, you are not complaining, you are bragging.

7. 'Mo

'Mo

LOL!

Tell us more. What gears are you running?

8. olderone

olderone

the rear gears are 2:78 with a 49 Std 3 on the tree. So the fly wheel had to of been out of balance??.other wise the problem would not have went away .Correct

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

It is quite possiable your old flywheel it's self had a problem relating to balance ,that is it may have been modifed some how causing it to no longer be neutral balanced. All Chevy stovebolt series engines from about 40 or so will interchange and will not affect engine balance if they have not been modifed from stock. Pre 40 stuff had a different flywheel bolt pattern. Up until Chevy made the SBC 400 all Chevy flywheels were neutral balaced . I do agree with you that if changing the flywheel fixed the prob it just about HAD to be related to the old flywheel. By the way did you change any of the clutch parts when you change the 'wheel?

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

?????? If you're really running a 1949 three speed, you ain't got no 2.78:1 rear gears.

11. flyin-t

flyin-t

I asked him how got those gears too. He said he figured out how to convert a '49 trans to open drive line and he has a late model rear in it.

I could pull down a building with the stock gears in my '48 coupe.

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Damn.....he could have bought an already open drive '55-'65 three speed for less than twenty bucks. Oh, well.........

13. olderone

olderone

Ok Back To All Of You. Not Only Have I Got A Open Rear Drive Line With A 49 Standard Trans.But I Also Changed The 49 Trans Over To A 48 Std Trans By Modifying The 49 Back To A 48 Trans By Changing The Side Plate.And I Am Shirting The 3 Speed Trans With A Auto Shift Column And Only One Shift Arm On The Trans.But Don't Forget About The Selector Arm On The 46 To 48.And As Far As The Fly Wheel I Turned The Fly And There Was Nothing Wrong As Far As It Benign Warped I Was A Little Worried About It Benign In The Pressure Plate. The 49 Had Been Setting For Over 20 Years.And The Clutch Was GONE.Witch Tells Me That Nothing Had Been Tampered With As Far As The Fly Wheel Went.So Your Guess Is As Good As Mine I Guess We Will Never Know For Sure.And If You All Need PIX Of What I Am Saying Then I've Got Them.

Last edited: May 6, 2013