Register now to get rid of these ads!

who makes the best air powered cut-off tool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, May 6, 2013.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have a crappy harbor frieght air tool that takes the 2 1/2 (?) inch thin cut off wheels. it would work better on plastic, it barely makes sparks in metal.

I also have a "Blue Point" version of the same thing that is only marginally better. the only time I use it is if I can't get my corded Milwaukee 4" grinder in there where it needs to be. the Blue Point one could just be old and worn out.

maybe I'm just dreaming that there is an air powered cut off tool worth a damn... what do you guys use?:confused:

2. I use cheapos every day at work. Bought mac once and didn't last as long as my cheapo. You need lots of air thou.

3. robertsregal

robertsregal

I've used a blue point for years with no problem.My question is how many CFM does your compressor put out and at what pressure?

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I usually buy the Harbor Freight ones when they are on sale for $10.00. For serious cutting I use a Ryobi 4" electric, they have more power.

5. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Couple of things

One... IR industrial... NICE stuff.

I have some questions... that might be a symptom of a bigger problem.

What kind of air compressor? How Dry is the air the tool is using? How often do you oil the tool? How does the filter look?

Cut off wheels are High CFM users.

I had a failing compressor one time just dumping compressor oil and water into the lines and gums up the tool. It got so bad that my 725 ftlb Snap on impact wouldnt take off hyundai wheels. just a thought..

Also, Cant by an air tool without a tear down and clean and expect it to last for ever.

6. F&J

F&J

Find somebody that used to work in the aircraft industry....those old commercial ones are like comparing a Duesenberg to a...er...49 chevy:D

there must be some around, because they don't wear out, and from what I know about the ones I've tried, they don't use as much air, or it gets the job done quicker? Longer rotor and vanes I think..equals more power?

7. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I use a crappy H/B one and it seems to work fine. Toss of the dice I reckon. Can't say as much for the 90 degree tool.

8. aaggie

aaggie

I also have a HF cheapo but honestly it works really good. I also have a big compressor with lots of dried air and I put a few drops of tool oil in before attaching the air hose.

I use it for a cut off tool and to trim areas for fitting patch panels. I also use either a body air saw, Sawzall or plasma cutter; no tool will do all jobs.

9. aojo

aojo

x2 on the Ingersoll Rand tool.. not a lot of use but when it is needed it does a good job

10. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

My cheapo Plastic coated HF one is at least ten years old and still out cuts my Ingersol-Rand..:eek:

11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Sioux: I've had mine 25 years and I just bought a new one for a spare, it is more powerful than the old one, I'm sure the old one has seen its better days. I do have a good 175PSI 2 stage compressor, that makes all the difference in the world.

12. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

Use the HF ones without problems, but I have a really good compresser.

13. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Dotco and sioux

14. Have a Matco and a HF $6.99 (sale) one. Use both all the time...keep the cutoffs on the HF and the grinding stone on the Matco. You can buy a LOT of the HF ones for the price of a name brand.

They are both air hogs, though.

15. What about just putting a gaurd on a nice electric die grinder? BTW, I use the HF cutoff tool with good results.

16. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

I'm a fan of aircat tools. They're quiet, well built and reasonably priced. Check them out.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my compressor pump is huge, I don't know what the specs are. with a 60 gallon tank. I have a trap by the compressor, it goes up 10 feet, over 40 feet and down 10 feet with another water trap there. air is clean and dry.

my HF one is just about useless, I really should just throw it away.

I just oiled the Blue point one and it seems to work better. I guess that's why it says "oil daily" on the side. maybe I'm just impatient using the air tool compared to my electric 4" grinder.

[​IMG]

18. NORSON

NORSON

I use the medium size HF unit. It's a right angle and has a guard and cost $27 when not on sale. It will take a 4 1/2 cut off wheel and I haven't burned one up yet. I've got two new ones waiting in the wings.

19. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Also Great air tools! When I say IR, There is IR they sell to you and IR they sell to industrial facilities. They ARENOT the same. Think JD lawn tractors at the Home Depot, VS the JD dealership... NOT the same quality.

20. Master of None

Master of None

Not sure who makes them for them, but I have a Snap on light weight one that you can turn the guard on. It cuts better than my IR cut off I still use , but as a grinder.

21. Weasel

Weasel

22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have a couple of Dotcos and a couple of Chinese but my best one is a Black & Decker I've had at least 30 yrs and I got it used then.

Blue

23. brad chevy

brad chevy

Lot of people blame the tool but really its cheap,crappy cutting wheels thats the problem. The HF wheels are junk.

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Agreed.

25. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

I stopped using the HF cause they would always die in a couple of months, sometimes a few weeks, hell I had one die in 2 days. I decided to get an American made one, which took a few hours surfing online but eventually I found a St. Louis Pneumatic one. I've had it for the past 3 years with no problems, just got to keep it oiled.

26. Kona,
    You don't work for Deere do you?

27. lv2tri2

lv2tri2

I have owned several electric and air powered precision grinders. The best was IR.

28. Jtg-3

Jtg-3
    from Huron Ohio

Greetings,
    I'd like to weigh in on this myself, I had an older Rockwell right angle cut off, long airmotor, you can get almost precision cuts,plenty of control and leverage, it will be your right hand if you're in the collision or sheet metal fabrication world,... That said,.. it is almost expired 20+ years old ... so I searched for a replacement, ... Snap on sells a Dyna Brade for 250 ish, I like Dyna Brade , I bought 1,.. med collision use, less than a year (Yeah) ... while being repaired,(2-3weeks warranty claim) ... I bought a( believe it or not) Cornwell "right angle grinder"also about 250 ish almost the size of the Dyna Brade, an inch longer, 1/3 heavier 1/3 larger around, very similar to my old Rockwell...I have cut frame rails, body mounts , thin plate, The Cornwell , is still rocking, The Dyna Brade was returned to shop duty and after about 7 months, proceeded to eat a bearing ,etc and go back for more service, I don't abuse these, I oil, grease and maintain them , a great right angle cutoff tool is a poor mans plasma cutter just my 02 Jim

29. Motomike43

Motomike43

I like my MAC Tools ones. I really like the Long reach 90deg head with adjustable shield. Best advise for any air tool. Lots of pressure. Lots of Volume. And they say oil daily for a reason. daily is a little much. But weekly is good. lets face it most of use are Bi-yearly (or when shit stops working right)

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hey, I resemble that remark.