Register now to get rid of these ads!

I love my Edsel but it don't love me...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by eeeorr, Dec 13, 2012.

1. eeeorr

eeeorr

I figured it was high time to join since I'm coming up on making some decisions about that dang Edsel's future motor and tranny. I've been peeking in and getting help for about six months and I want to say thanks to everyone for all the info. Heck, I even find myself reading the replies about problems I'll probably never have!
    Anyway, I spend some Saturdays working on my car and some Saturdays sitting on the ground watching my brother work on his collection.
    I also spend a lot of Sundays riding around in South Georgia with my camera and I saw and took pics of a couple of cars you don't see so I'm going to try to upload the pics now.

2. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

FE engines are good, add AOD overdrive automatic tranny for better gas mileage.
    Or even put 302 + AOD, that saves more.
    I have FE 390 on my edsel + 3 spd manual overdrive trans. I love my car, but I hate that old leaking unsyncronized transmission when speed are less than 40 mph.

3. eeeorr

eeeorr

I have the straight six and 3 speed manual without overdrive. The Holley carb is crappy even rebuilt and that non syncronized first gear is a bad deal in any kind of traffic.

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Mine is stock FE 361 inches with 3 speed and overdrive but I think I am gonna go 390/4 speed when I get motivated to get it rolling again.

Your power plant depends on your needs but I think torque is more your friend in the Edsel than HP will be.

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Mine is stock FE 361 inches with 3 speed and overdrive but I think I am gonna go 390/4 speed when I get motivated to get it rolling again.

Your power plant depends on your needs but I think torque is more your friend in the Edsel than HP will be.

6. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

can you tel me what is you average fuel consumption with overdrive tranny ?

I understand how many litres in 100 kilometers, LOL

7. dad-bud

dad-bud

Welcome, you have plenty of powerplant and drivetrain options for your Edsel.
    Don't be afraid to explore them here on the HAMB where you will be fortunate enough to have the benefit of everyone's opinnion (haha).
    Cheers.

8. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

9. mlagusis

mlagusis

I have a stock 361 with a 3 speed auto. I am pleased with it but have only put about 2,000 miles on it since I got it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. eeeorr

eeeorr

Sorry guys, I don't always remember to log in even though I am on the site daily. I am currently (still) having trouble with the Holley 1904 carb overloading after the engine idles for 7-10 minutes. I've got clean fuel in the bowl everytime I open it. Float bowl good, all that. I'm going to adjust the float arm down some more. This is getting old.

11. eeeorr, after reading the original post...if it were me I would go with the 302 and a set of fox body headers, 4bbl and an AOD for daily driving. Now I've never had a Edsel (yet) and from my previous projects I've done several of the 302 swaps in fords and small block chevys in chevys...they aren't really period correct but very reliable and parts from any corner parts store. Now if you had a 390 laying around out of a full size ford or another cool engine go for it. But bang for the buck and ease of fit I'd go SBF.

12. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

I couldn't imagine an Edsel with a 302 but then again I have never drove one before. Can't be too bad if the 60's galaxie came with a 289. I like the 361 but I don't look forward to the rebuild cost one day vs. a SBF.

13. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Don't forget in 59 the straight 6 (Mileage Maker 6) was an option. They even put them in Wagons! My 59 Wagon has the stock 332 FE. It's not a dog, but it's not a rocket either. It'll move fairly well considering how much it weighs! I posted a YouTube vid a while back of what its like accelerating to about 70. Not a rocket - but considering....not BAD

14. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Very true..... the 223 right? Do you have the auto rprice76?

15. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

I think I am getting some lifter noise out of my 361 now that I have been driving it more, so a small block swap may be in my distant future! But I hope not.

16. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Did you rebuild the carb? If it is overflowing, you can do a few things:

1.) Did you use a new needle and seat assembly? Don't mix and match.
    2.) Is the float leaking? If it is the old brass float, dunk it in some water just shy of boiling, if it sinks you need a new float and good luck finding one.
    3.) There are two copper washers that hold in the needle and seat assembly to the fuel inlet. The needle and seat assembly needs to be pretty tight to crush both washers.

When I rebuilt my 1904, #3 was my culprit for overflowing. Also, somebody put together a 4 part you tube series on rebuilding the 1904 holley carb. It helped me out a lot.

I drive my 223 almost everyday. It runs so good I just can't justify pulling it out.

17. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Not to hijack this thread - but yes - the 2 speed small case ford-o-matic. It's "ok." A middle gear would be nice. It moves and moves pretty well.

18. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

eeeorr... any new news on the Edsel??

19. PTO

PTO
    from CA

There are other carbs available, you don't have to stick with the holley.
    Also, it would be a good idea to go with an overdrive trans if you can find one for a decent price, and try to not shift into first while driving. That synchronized can be a pain, but most people get around it by slowing down when close to red lights instead of shifting, or in slow traffic, don't shift out of first but use the clutch instead. More work, but it helps.

20. PTO

PTO
    from CA

Forgot to mention. I have never had many problems with the small holleys, but some will have the holes inside blocked(corrosion) or too big, so even if rebuilt it won't work right. Have you tried getting another?

21. eeeorr

eeeorr

Finally gave up on the Holley 1904 carbs and got an Autolite 1101. I have sent the full vacuum Load-O-Matic distributor off to Bubba's to be converted to full mechanical advance.
    Problem is...the new carb from Summit is still in the box (so I can take it back) and I keep wanting to look at a new intake with a 2 barrel setup.
    Sure would be cool to get rid of that log intake and have a card I could listen to...

22. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

BTW lifter "noise" is easy to fix - unless its a flat lobe on the cam. I had four bent push rods. They can be had at autozone. As can the lifters. Remove them with a strong earth magnet on a stick (used a flex one from Autozone) - new ones drop in. I replaced one. Should be good to go then! I think they were $4 each when I had to do it.

I spent:

Three push rods @ $4 each
    One lifter @ $each for a total of:

$16.

Went from four to eight cylinders working for way less than $100.

23. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Now whats weird is that the only time that my car makes the "noise" is after I have been driving it and its nice and warm. Does this make it something else? I notice it after I drive it for about twenty miles and I get on the throttle a little bit more than a slow cruise.