Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1963 Lincoln with "Golde" sliding ragtop, factory installed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, May 6, 2013.

1. Squablow

Squablow

A couple weeks ago, I bought this 1963 Continental which has a sliding ragtop in the roof. I had just assumed it was an aftermarket kit type thing when I bought the car, the release handle says "Golde" on it.

After a weekend of detailing and working on my new prize Lincoln, I got curious about the company that made the top and I started searching, apparently Golde made the factory sunroofs for the 1960 Thunderbirds and their catalog said you could buy them installed by the factory in several model cars.

Anyone else ever heard of them, or saw one of these in a Lincoln? Could this be some kind of rare factory installed thing?

[​IMG]

2. Golde made the sunroofs for all the VW Bugs, up until they went to the sliding steel ones in 1964.

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Wow, what a find. You know who would know? Jeff Stork at Palm Beach Automobilist on Facebook, he knows his Lincolns. I can put the pic up and ask him if you're not on FB.
    I think you might have a real rare gem on your hands.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Nads, if you could, that would be fantastic, I'd really appreciate it. I do have Facebook, but I'm not sure how I would contact someone like that.

The more I read about Golde, the more I think this might be a legit factory install, which is pretty cool. It did seem incredibly well done for an aftermarket install, especially how nicely the headliner is done around it.

Now I'm getting excited!

5. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

It sure looks factory from the pic...

Now THAT'S a car that makes Continental 4-door convertibles seem as common as flies!

6. Never seen one before. Pretty slick.

7. You can also get ahold of L.C.O.C. and they would know

Just my 3.5 cents

8. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

1960 marked the final year for the second generation Thunderbird. A Golde Edition, named after the German company who held the patent for the sunroof, was offered which featured a sunroof. 2530 examples selected this option, making vehicle outfitted with this option very rare in modern times. Sales for 1960 were nearly 93000, 11,860 were convertibles.

ASC was founded in late 1963 by Heinz Christian Prechter, a German foreign exchange student who was attending San Francisco State College. Born on January 19, 1942, Prechter was brought up on his family’s Kleinhöbing, Bavaria farm. He was fascinated by automobiles from an early age and entered the automotive apprenticeship program at the local Berufschule (vocational school) when he was 13. After school Prechter worked at his uncle’s auto repair shop, and following the successful completion of his studies, he was accepted at the Nuremburg Berufs-Oberschule (upper vocational school) where he interned at Deutz (diesel engines & tractors), Faunwerke (trucks and military vehicles) and Siemens (electronics).
    Following his graduation, Prechter was accepted into the mechanical engineering program at the prestigious Georg Simon Ohm Polytechnic in Nuremberg. Prechter moonlighted as a cab driver, eventually saving up enough money to finance a trip to the United States in 1961 where he attended San Francisco State College as an exchange student.
    While attending Ohm Polytechnic, Prechter had become friends with Hans-Dieter Golde, the son of Hans Traugotte Golde, the founder of Hans Traugotte Golde & Co., Frankfurt (aka Golde Schiebedächer) an early manufacturer of sliding canvas and metal sunroofs. Golde roofs were optional equipment on 1950s-1960s BMWs, Porsche 356s and Volkswagen Type 1 (Beetle), Type 14 (Karmann Ghia) and Type 2 (Kombi & Samba).
    In 1957 Golde & Co. established a sales office in Detroit that was headed by Guenter H. Sleboede. Early customers included Studebaker who offered a ‘Sky Top’ option on many of their 1960-1963 vehicles. Another customer was Ford, who had Budd install 2,536 roofs on their ‘Golde Edition’ 1960 Thunderbird.
    Golde Body Parts Division was originally located at 6406 Charlevoix Ave., but when manufacturer’s orders for the roofs dried up in 1962, the German firm withdrew its financial support. Golde allowed Sleboede to represent the firm as its regional Detroit distributor, so he relocated to 32940 Van Dyke in Warren, Michigan where he established the A-One Service Center. Sleboede continued to supply Golde kits to regional auto dealers and also maintained a small shop where the tops could be installed in customer’s cars.
    While completing his studies in business administration and English at Cal-State, Heinz C. Prechter worked part-time for a small San Francisco body shop owned by a Mr. Forster. He suggested that they get into the sunroof business and using his Golde family connection, Prechter was awarded Golde’s west coast distributorship. In late 1963, Golde and Forster formed the American Sunroof Corp. and started advertising in the local papers.
    American Sunroof’s first customers were regional San Francisco and San Mateo new car dealers and although Prechter had originally planned on staying in the US for a single year, he decided to stay and applied for a working visa which was granted in December of 1964.
    Business at American Sunroof’s 1419 Pacific Ave., San Francisco workshop steadily improved and in January of 1965 Prechter opened up a branch in Los Angeles. Car customizer George Barris had a garage for rent behind his 10811 Riverside Dr., North Hollywood, California shop and it was here that Prechter established American Sunroof’s first metro Los Angeles branch.
    Early on, Prechter put sunroofs in cars owned by Hollywood celebrities who included Frank Sinatra, James Garner and Steve McQueen. He soon outgrew the cramped two-car garage behind Barris Kustom City and relocated to a former gas station at 7322 Quinby St. in Paramount, California.

Most likely dealer installed, and a very nice find. I had a 1964 Riviera with a Golde top. Wish my 1965 had one. I might be more motivated to do something with it...

9. pg409

pg409

I worked for a Lincoln-Mercury dealership in Canada in 1963. In fact I ordered the cars for inventory and sold items.
    I have never heard of that sunroof option.........(?)

10. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Just a slight correction, Jeff would be at Palm Springs Automobilist. His blog is at:

http://psautomobilist.blogspot.com

Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/PalmSpringsAutomobilist

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  11. 63comet

63comet

From what this site lists, http://automotivemileposts.com/aschistory.html , it may not be factory but done by Precther under contract? It's really cool no matter what.

I've contemplated a sunroof on my car but gone back and forth about it since they aren't commons on American cars of the era, and having one on a more door is even stranger. This makes me want one again.

12. Choff

Choff

I saw this car for sale today on Craigs list???

13. bgaro

bgaro

yup, had one, and sold it for quit a bit.

14. rld14

rld14

It wasn't a factory fit, most likely a dealer installed unit when the car was new.

I've seen these, along with Webastos, on lots of cars of the era. I've heard of a '60 Lincoln like mine having one. Still, its very cool and I like it.

15. From Pre-K...1960 marked the final year for the second generation Thunderbird. A Golde Edition, named after the German company who held the patent for the sunroof, was offered which featured a sunroof. 2530 examples selected this option, making vehicle outfitted with this option very rare in modern times.

A sunroof in most any vintage car is rare and desirable. I recently picked up a 1969 Landau Thunderbird 2-door with a factory installed sunroof (I think a "Golde"). There were less than 900 ordered in the coupe that year, but it shown on the cover of the TB dealer brochure. My hope is that ...the sunroof will bring a bit of $$$ when sold.

Murph

16. Squablow

Squablow

I bought this car as a package with another car and some parts and I originally thought I was just going to sell it, I had an ad up Sunday night for it but once I found out about the top I pulled my ad, now I want to keep it.

I've got way too many cars now, but it seems like it'd be a shame to sell this one just to keep a bunch of other, not-nearly-as-cool stuff. I can never make up my mind about stuff like that.

17. 66slabside

66slabside

Post it on thelincolnforum.net. A great site just for Lincoln lovers, someone's bound to know something about it over there.
    Nice car by the way.

18. Gerg

Gerg

You told me about this car you didn't mention a thing about that roof. That looks really cool I would think this would be a keeper to add to your fleet

19. rld14

rld14

Squablow,

Yup, definitely get on thelincolnforum.net. That's where the suicide guys are and there's lots of good info there on them.

If she's a keeper... Get that timing chain and gears checked ASAP! The gears are nylon coated and the nylon tips fall off and get in the oil pan and clog the oil pump pickup. Change the oil ump and oil pump shaft (use a billet FE one and shave it down .075) while you're at it.

20. Choff

Choff

Thanks,
    Cool Car, Keep it!!!!
    Choff