Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Part Two

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Painted the needles on the gauges and polished(rubbed clean)the lenses. The lenses aren't perfect, but they'll pass. It's been on the 'to do list', forever. Small job, big difference.

[​IMG]

2. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Glad to see your getting back on the elky Jj , the gauges turned out nice keep up the great work

3. Thanks Cody. Still lots to do.. I don't have to tell you, tho

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

5. Thanks!

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

It's nice to see some updates Jay. Hopefully it will be on the road this season...although you don't have seasons like we do over here.......Mike

7. All my times been taken up with these two chairs and the couch. The wind and bugs leave me with a small window to shoot paint, successfully. I'm getting paid to learn, so I can't complain. (but I do anyways)

8. My latest venture, for the 60 Impala couch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Have I said, I'm liking this one, a lot?

[​IMG]

10. Jay,
    Try some plastic polish on them, you be surprised.

[​IMG]

11. I wonder if they would just polish up, or if I'd have to sand 'em with 'fine' sandpaper, first?

12. slammed

slammed

Find a lens from a beater, and snag a 3M headlight lens restore kit. Comes with ev'r thang ya need.

13. My budget calls for some 800 grit paper, heavy duty compound an a large dose of elbow grease! All which I have in stock

14. No sanding, just use the polish by hand. Cleans up fine scratches/haze and gives it a nice wet shine look.

If you were closer I would let you use some of mine.

The headlight kits suck, used them at work. Even with the polish and paper they give you, you still have major haze (sandpaper too coarse). On my girls newer o/t car I use hand glaze, wool pad and my old buffer......cleans them right up.

15. patman

patman

I saw this picture on another board and thought of this thread. If you ever get tired of doing upholstery, just use wood!

[​IMG]

16. slammed

slammed

After the HD use tooth paste to gloss it up. And those headlamp kits work if you know what your doing.

17. I have to recycle my old oil and filter, I'll look for this when I'm there.

I have microfinishing compound and corn starch. But I have heard toothpaste works for a final lil shine-shine!

18. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

If those lenses are plastic or some kind of polycarbonate, you can always use the old pilot's trick of polishing'em up with beeswax furniture polish.

Use plenty, rub it on heavy, then rub off with many, many clean cloths.
    Hides smaller scratches and makes the plastic really clear (but a bit smelly).
    After my dad told me about it, I used to use beeswax on my bike's windshield. It went from scratched and knackered to cristal clear.

19. Cymro

Cymro

Toothpaste really works and is available 24/7 (pinched from the bathroom)

20. You are assuming I don't have yuck mouth!

21. Thanks for the info. Did you want to pick up aBig Valley HotRods tshirt?

22. I wonder how well that would work on an old original pair of 59 El Camino/Wgn t/lite lenses, I have. Worth a try, thanks

23. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the latest? I'm jonesing...

24. I drew up some interior designs, for the 59's seat. I'm going to draw one more, with a pleat design. I am going to post both, and ask for peoples opinions. I'll do that in a short while.

25. I don't have the colors figured out for this one.

Attached Files:

26. I keep gravitating towards this look.

Attached Files:

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Holy Shit!!!!!!!
    Up from the Ashes like a Phenix he speaks. Long time no see. Heads Up Jay, Sat Aug. 3rd. we're doing the Bedlam show @ the Broiler again. Hope to see ya if your calender is clear.

28. Yes, JimSig an I are going to cruise over, for sure. Then back to Yucapia, for 51 Mercules' Bday party. Hey Mr Gee, pm me your phone number. See you guys soon

29. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

HI J

Neat El Camino as I had a 59' Impala so it brings back lots of memories of those winged beauty's

Mine was a 348' - 3 2's - and 4 speed White with Turquoise interior, painted the rims to match with small hub caps and beauty rings - lowered and twice pipes too

After seeing your crushed glass it reminded me of my buddy's Top Fueler , have you heard of Cerney & Son paint shop in north Long Beach

In the mid 60's that was the go to shop for trick paint work, he found some ground mirrior like your glass and put it in the red & blue candy colors

The car was the ' Addit ' of Childs & Albert that was all pearl white with the full length candy Red & Blue scollops with the ground mirrior in the candys, when you walked by the car in the sun they would twinkle at you and boy was that cool looking

Your cars seats are neat stuff too

G Don

30. Your 59 sounds cool. What that car is worth today, with all those options. An a friend, Willy Martin was telling me a similar story about the crushed glass. Gormo painted candy red over the crushed glass. Willy said it was the coolest thing, seeing that red come to life. Thanks for the good words.