Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst/ Airheart magnesium disc brakes! What are they worth??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31pickemup, Sep 22, 2012.

1. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Hey Gang
    Over the winter i'm going to be swapping my front end out of my 32. It has a 70's total performance tubular front end under it now. It has 49-54 Chevy spindles on it and these Hurst/ Airheart magnesium 4-piston calipers and complete hub and rotor assemblies I think from the late 60's. My question is what is the complete disc brake setup worth?

Attached Files:

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It's worth what someone will pay,.....I'll give you fifty dollars.... so that must be what they are worth, Want my address?:D

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

magnesium catches on fire when you drive near water. Box 'em up and send 'em to me...I'll make sure they're properly disposed of.

4. Go to the airheart site and find out. They still make and sell them I would guess that an old original in good shape would be worth as much as a new one.

5. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Well they want over $1200 just for the calipers on there website and there not magnesium anymore. They don't sell the brackets or the hubs. I didn't think these things were so expensive. WOW

6. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Why are you swapping them out. Just Cange out the tube to a I beam

7. 31pickemup

31pickemup

I don't want the Chevy bolt pattern as I want to run 16" ford wheels. If I change the axle everything needs replaced

8. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Looks like a good canidate for redrilling, just a shameless plug but we could help you out.
    http://www.rottenleonard.com/Menu.html

I'd hate to give up such a cool feature

9. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I'm going to be using those exact same Hurst/Airheart 175x2QCII calipers on a AA/G '48 Austin That I'm going to be building. Tolomatic who makes Airheart brakes does not deal with the public. You have to get your parts through a distributor. I just ordered 2 caliper rebuild kits p/n 3020-9002 and an assembly pilot pin p/n 3005-1045, which you'll need to re-assemble your calipers. The rebuild kits are about $90.00 each and you need a separate kit for each caliper. The pilot pin (tool) is around $30.00. I'm getting my parts through Mike at Hydroair in Clarence, NY. Their phone# is (800) 759-8374. You may be able to get your parts cheaper somewhere else.

10. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

The kits and pin arrived today. They appear to have everything but new pistons which can be purchased separately should you need any. I thought the kits would just be all the o rings. Not only did they come with o rings, but also the drag rings, bellville washers (springs) and clips.

11. violet springs

violet springs

I just pick up a pair of Hurst/Airheart 175x2QCII calipers at the Canfield swap meet this weekend. Can you post a picture of the kit you bought.