Register now to get rid of these ads!

History C cab mold........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BERNIES WELDING, Apr 1, 2011.

?
  1. YES I WANT ONE

17.7%
  2. HOW MUCH WILL IT BE

75.8%
  3. I WANT A ROLLING CHASIS

1.6%
  4. I WANT JUST THE BODY

24.2%
  5. IF THERE IS A STORY BOOK AND A NUMBERED BODY AND CHASIS I WANT ONE

4.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

well i still say the mold doesnt look like the milk truck , i am willing to eat a bowl of crow or clean my glasses if you fire up the chopper gun and glass a body out of the mold and it looks like the milk truck when its cured , im not to big to admit i was wrong, its just the curves dont appear to match , good luck with what ever you decide to do , its still a historical and cool piece , i know id have to make a few bodies from it ,

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gang, it's already been identified! I can understand being confused between the "milk truck", the "Ice truck", and the "Beer truck"... I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and it will sort itself out when Dan gives him a call. The body is in my opinion the coolest of Dan Woods' stuff, and it will be good to have it back out there and available. I the mean time, i'm half tempted to roll up to Kingman and grab the original one I know of...

3. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

4. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Your mold is like the beer truck, but it's cool, it looks better than the Ice or Milk truck.

5. modeleh

modeleh

6. One of the most frustrating things about the whole internet thing is any a**hole can type out his 2 cents worth. Is the point whether or not that is The Milk Truck Mold, that it's a Dan Woods Mold or that there is a cool old mold that can produce a good looking C Cab body if there is enough interest? After seeing all the negative, small minded responses, ranting about crap that's not important, I'm interested in learning more about the Price and Availability of a C-cab body. I don't care how eloquently you can spew verbal diarrhea about your interpretation of the mold. Cut the crap, let's deal with what's important.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What's important is the lack of character of the guy who started all this, the fact that he does not have what he claimed to have and is not man enough to admit it and move forward.

Does he have a C cab mold made by Dan Woods?
    It appears he does.

Is it what he stubbornly claims it to be all the while calling everyone "skeptics" ?

Absolutely not, anyone with half a brain can see that as has been pointed out numerous times.

At this point Bernie looks like an idiot in my eyes,and I'll bet I'm not the only one thinking that way :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  8. X2

Steve

9. let's not forget he asked for "feedback" and wrote; feel free to comment.

10. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I know where the Uncertain T is.
    And it's not in USA.

Dogpatchcustoms likes this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

12. badshifter

badshifter

Since you chirped up that must make you one of the assholes as well. As to your bullshit about the crap that is not important, who the fuck are you to tell us what is important? Wish we all had the large mind you possess. If you really just wanted to cut the crap you could have pm'd the OP and "got to what's important" (to you anyhow). You come across as a self important hypocrite.

13. pheonixunicorn rodbuilder

pheonixunicorn rodbuilder

Guy's, I have known Bernie for 14 years now, I have never known him to be a liar or a thief, quite the opposite. We will be making our first body/chassis very soon, so stay tuned~

14. Glad you know him and have a vested interest, please go do an intro:rolleyes:

It is a Woods mold, not the one he professed. It is cool, just get the story right:confused:

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Read all the posts, none of us will change our opinion of him till he comes on and offers an explanation and agrees that he was - is wrong in what he claims to have.

That won't happen so he can keep whatever comes out of that mold.

By sticking to his delusional claims made in the first post of this thread (after all that has been shown to him here) and continuing to call us "skeptics" he has proven himself to be a liar.

16. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

I am hoping the surprise he will be posting about will be that they will be raffling off the first body pulled and I am hoping I will have the winning ticket,:). I have always had a soft spot for T bucket type vehicles.

17. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

I've only just found this thread and realise what I'm posting here is 2 years out of date but I'm also aware that so far it has no ending......Did Bernie ever establish with certainty in his own mind what body mold he has, and has he had enough feedback to date to actually make a single body from it ? Bernie, surely, to start a business venture it has to be worth stumping up a few hundred bucks in materials and a few days out of your life to commit to producing just one body without having to get orders up front to make it worth your while ? It's the only way to sell a product.

Just for the record here's my two cents worth.....I've been a friend of Dan Woods since he came back from Vietnam in '69 - just about the time he set up shop on Vermont Ave. in Paramount, Ca...Contemporary Carriage Works.

Dan had already built the "Milk Truck" which had a one-off body made from plywood covered in fiberglass (which he would get from the offcut bins at Douglas Aircraft Co. in Long Beach, I believe), Dan did a deal with Bob Reisner to swap the Milk Truck for the 215 " Olds' powered T Bucket he drove prior (and possibly subequent), to his time in Vietman.
    No mold was taken from the Milk Truck body, it is a one-off.

After Vietnam, Dan and Ed Newton began work on the "Ice Truck" (Ed Newton being the designer), which started life at J & J Chassis where Dan was working at the time prior to starting up business on his own. I take a guess Roger Jongarius was also involved somehow as it was in his shop after all. The Ice Truck body was built of hardwood covered in fibreglass.
    Again, no mold was taken from the Ice Truck, it is a one-off body.

Dan also built the "Butcher Truck" for Bob Reed's Country Butcher Shop in Downey, Ca. and the "Laguna Truck", which, I understand, was never finished as the owner died during construction. Both of these bodies were one-offs and no molds were taken from them.

The fifth C Cab body made by Dan (the mold being the subject of this thread), is completely different to the others in conception and purpose. This body was also designed by Ed Newton (whether specifically for Dan, or not, I'm not sure ?), but Dan intended to offer these particular C Cabs as an alternative body style to the regular sectioned '15 T bucket body - both body styles would fit the T roadster chassis' Dan built. Dan had the buck and mold made (possibly by Ed Newton), and the body was known as the "High Roller" (something I never knew until recently). This is the mold which Bernie now has.

To reiterate (approximate dates).....

1965 - '67 Milk Truck: One-off plywood/fiberglass body - no mold taken.
    1969 - '70 Ice Truck: One-off hardwood/fiberglass body - no mold taken.
    1970 - '71 Butcher Truck: One off wood body - no mold taken.
    1973 - Laguna Truck: One-off wood body - no mold taken.

(Possibly 1971 -'72ish) High Roller: Body buck and mold made for production.....the subject mold in this thread, it's definately not lifted from the Milk Truck, completely different body.

Vern's opposed coil black C cab was finished by 1974 as I rode in it then. That's Don Kendal sitting in the car in the left 3/4 front shot.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  18. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

Great information. I don't know Bernie but it is a shame he ended up with it IMO. He didn't have the funds to make a body for himself so I surely can't see this turning into a business venture. Too bad as I wouldn't mind having one of those bodies.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting bit of history EE-1 thanks for sharing. At the Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa in 1973 the C cab that I am pretty sure was the Butcher truck cruised past me and I though Dan Woods was either driving it or riding in it. Somewhere in my boxes of snapshots I have a photo I took but it might take a month of hunting to find it.

20. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

EE-1, Thanks for you post earlier today. I have been tuned in to the thread by fadt and I am very impressed by the knowledge that the both of you share.
    I grew up in the 60's and the work by Dan Woods and associates have always been impressive. Ed Roth creations have always been a pleasure as they "Speak Volumes" regarding the "Creative Mind"
    At this point in time it would be an asset to the Wonderful World of Cars to have this type of build introduced to a new generation. We can't afford to lose the rich heritage of the builder and craftsmen who dared to "March to a Different Drum"
    I do hope that Bernie will produce at least one body for all to see. Many of the young builders could benefit from the product produced in that mold.
    We Old Farts are fortunate that we were able to enjoy the 60's and 70;s in our youth. Know just may be the time to share those days with the Younger Guys.
    Thanks, Jeff

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

EE-1 thanks for sharing the information on these vehicles , I really enjoy stories and history on old show cars and custom builders , its even better when the person who s telling them was right there , good stuff

22. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hate to be an ass, but closure? The body has been identified more than a half dozen times in this thread by about the second page, and, if you just simply pick up the article written about Dan Woods a couple of years ago in Rodder's Journal, it completely explains the molds place in the universe! several others have told every body what it was, I did as well in posts #46, then again in #74, and yet again in #92. This is just 40 years ago and the guys involved for the most part are still around to ask.

I'm sorry that Bernie's welding didn't want to understand the correct info in the first place, but he might have been sold the molds by someone who didn't know what the correct name was for the mold in the first place, and inserted the wrong name. I too have bought something before that I was told was one thing and turned out after some research to be something otherwise. It does sting a bit.

I just took a minute to dig up the Rodder's Journal issue number with the article that explains Bernies mold. It's number #43, page 124 spring 2009.

This just isn't worth two threads and name calling over, and to anyone that was around in the seventies and paying attention to what at the time was very top end stuff, almost common knowledge...

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

CLOSURE as in waiting 6 pages for the OP to finally eat crow and admit that he was mistaken, only to be disappointed.

CLOSURE as in wanting to know if bodies were being pulled from the mold yet and being sold.

CLOSURE as in bringing to an end; a conclusion. A feeling of finality or resolution.

25. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

That's hilarious! Ed Newton designed the car, submitted pics, and explained what it was (Hi Roller) and what it wasn't (Milk truck or Ice Truck) and the guy tells Mazooma he's not eligible to buy a body for pointing out the obvious fact that it isn't the Milk Truck! Great PR. :rolleyes:

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, like Bernie would know Mazooma from Adam. I can see it now; Mazooma at a car swap meet "fishing" for a fiberglass body;

"Hey, can you buy me a Dan Woods C Cab? I'm blacklisted from buying from Bernie"...

BTW, what's the life expectancy of a fiberglass mold? I know proper storage so it doesn't warp, etc. is a factor. All things considered, the mold would be about 40 years old...

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This re-surfacing again is so funny. Bernie has no class at all.

Closure would be him admitting how wrong he was and issuing an apology to everyone.

He will likely never produce a body from the mold so no worries on anyone not being allowed :rolleyes: to buy one.

Bernie should stick to writing stupid tech articles on Welding for Rat Rod magazines :p

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  28. EE-1

EE-1
    from London

Ha ha, this is too funny....apologies for firing this up again guys. Just wondered if there was an outcome to this after 6 pages of correct info' coming his way, Bernie's stubborness, the usual anger and frustration back & forth, then.....nothing ! We all know what the mold is and presumably waiting to see at least one body from it, but.......?? Yep ! Closure would fit the bill.

Sell the mold to me Bernie, I'll make bodies.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

This has been a good read, thanks to all for taking the time to post the facts. Bob

30. badshifter

badshifter

The closure is, Bernie is now on Killbillet and he started basically the exact thread there. Same user name, same stories of what he is "going to do" and the molds are in storage. He's a drama queen. I guess he went where there is a lot less knowledge and scrutiny. Easier than being wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.