Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

I just found and read this thread from start to finish. Wow, amazing build. What a fantastic end result. I am very interested in the build, as I am soon going to pick up a 64 Falcon Sprint race car in a couple weeks. It's more newer technology with a back half and 4 link, but it still is all stock appearing outside and is a factory 4 speed car. I have a 454 cube Dart block windsor motor on my engine stand that was originally going in my 64 Fairlane, but ended up selling the Fairlane. So the windsor will be going into the Falcon with a toploader. The falcon has been sitting in storage for the past 12 or so years I believe. Really excited about getting it. The Hilborn injection on yours is super also. My last car was a 65 Dodge Coronet hemi, and I had a hilborn setup ready to go on, but ended up selling the car in order to retire. Sold the hilborn setup separately.
    Good luck with the setup and looking forward to hearing lots more about how she runs with it. Thanks for keeping us all informed along the way.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  2. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

You know I like it . Looks great !!:D

3. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Looks awesome mike.

4. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nice job Mike, looks good and Olivias name is a Great Idea......Al

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

Wow!That looks great!What a time machine.....looks like it could say Les Ritchey or Butch Leal on the door and not a damn thing would look out of place!
    Nice work!

6. Thank you everyone! It's been a long road to get the car where it is today. Here's one I took outside today, the gold leaf looks really good in the sunlight
    [​IMG]

7. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Outstanding!

8. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Looks Sweet Mike !...you sure the pic wasn't taken in 1966 for super stock magazine...

Great job !

Rooster

9. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, the car looks awesome. I'll be at that point soon. I just put a deposit on a Hilborn injected 289 for my falcon, I'll be picking it up in a few weeks.

10. Sweet! Another injected small block!! Will you be running gas, e85 or alcohol? I still have a lot of sorting out to do on mine before I make a pass, hopefully I can get some work done this week.

11. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, I'm not sure yet. I hear great things about E-85, but I don't know where I can get it in New Jersey. It's set up for alcohol, so I might just stick with that.

12. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Hey mike, I spoke with my friend Andy, he said to call Hilborn, and ask for Don in tech. As for me, I'm gonna stick with the alcohol. Andy says its the best for what I'm looking to do.

13. Thanks man, I spoke with him last week a couple times .. I am going to change the spark plug gap, try to open the butterfly's to a consistent gap, and give it another shot

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  14. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

If you search YouTube, Andy has a video on how to adjust the butterfly's properly.

15. turbonotch

turbonotch

Mighty Joe Young's on 206 carrys E85 at the pump, conveniently located 6 miles east of Atco Raceway :D Just over $3/gallon right now!

I'm thinking about converting my mustang to get away from $15/gallon unleaded race gas when I can afford some 130#/hr injectors and start driving it on the street more. Probably fill up a couple 55 gallon drums each season and keep 'em in my garage.

(1st post - registered just to turn you onto the local E85 ;))

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike called with some good news,seems the engine is OK,compression was fairly even in all cylinders.Hopefully now he can work on getting the injectors working properly!!!He will need more "spare time" though as he now has a 65 Cyclone to build!!! ROY.

17. SOHC427

SOHC427

Mike, your car looks great!! Can't wait to see the Comet!
    Eric

18. Well... After soaking with hilborn we sorted out my nozzle size and they are equivalent to a hilborn size 6, which is a gas nozzle, I would need around a 9 for e85, which is why it was running so crappy, to lean. I put the car back to gas, re adjusted the butterfly's and hexlinks... It likes it much better than e85. Run smoother and I feel more confident in it.

Now for the comets, yes I said comets plural. Roy went with my dad and I to pick up a 65 cyclone, no motor , no trans, no rust, palomino in color, automatic car. Sunday I am picking up a 64 cyclone, no motor no trans, no rust, 4 speed car..it's going to be busy around my house but if one comet is fun, two will be twice as fun... Right? I feel super lucky and blessed to be able to work on both of these cars.

4speed
    [​IMG][
    Automatic
    [​IMG]
    My Dad and Roy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Holy cow!You lucky dog!Congratulations on the new find(s),and glad to hear you made some progress with the injection,too.Its always frustrating to commit to a piece of equipment and not get the results you were hoping for initially,but clearly you're a parts TUNER,not just a parts SWAPPER,and that is precisely what you need to be to get the most out of anything.
    I didn't forget about those pics I was going to send you of my other build,I just haven't made much progress yet,and am back up north to work for a few weeks,so will get back to you when I get home.
    Oh,and have you seen pics of Dyno Don Nicholson's red '65 Comet Factory Experimental car?Probably the prettiest race car ever built!I will try to post a pic I have,or email me for it....also,the '64 would look killer done up as a Sox & Martin clone.....nobody seems to remember they ran a Merc too........

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Here are the cars I was talking about:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369301030.385955.jpg

And

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369301059.751589.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369301074.593143.jpg

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

Or you could do both cars like Nicholson cars:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369302018.553154.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369302032.967646.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369302054.047333.jpg

22. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Great thread! Car looks fantastic.

23. 64Fairlane408

64Fairlane408
    from Katy, Tx

awesome work on the Falcon!

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Powrshftr;Ken Godsey in Colorado has a Sox and Martin tribute car,runs in N/SS or A/FX.There are a couple of Dyno Don's 64 and 65 clones running around. ROY.

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Roy,
    Was your car the evil Windsor/stick car that was in CC mag a few years ago?If so,I've lusted after that thing many times!

26. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Great Score Mike, your lucky to find two solid units like that! Your looking like the build thread King. Your lucky to have those other two guys around for help........Al

27. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Great looking Comets! You do realize you will have to keep us updated on the 64/65 Comet thread here! You've done such a great job with your Falcon! Can't wait to see where you take these Comets.

28. Well I have decided to pass on the red comet and will be focussing on the palomino one, I'm excited to get to work on it!

29. 65COMET

65COMET

powrshftr;yes,that is my Comet in CC a couple years back.It has a few updates now,it has a mild 418"W [bored and stroked 351W]in it now,less rear gear 5.14s VS 5.67s,runs consistent 10.30s at 130+mph at over 1200rpms lower!! Mike has a lot of work in front of him with the 65 Cyclone and getting his injected 289 squared away!!! ROY.

30. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Thanks for the info, but after some research, I have too much compression for E-85. Straight alcohol for me.