Register now to get rid of these ads!

I cant compete

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadster jones, May 4, 2013.

1. Old Ray

Old Ray

[​IMG]

Just kidding, but this came to mind.:)

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I wanted a '56 Nomad for 19 years before I was able to buy one. Saw one when I was 15 and decided that was what I wanted. After college and grad school, marriage and three kids, I was finally able to get one. I've had it for 22 years now, and I feel like I'm 15 again every time I get behind the wheel.

Keep looking, network, join a few clubs and let people know what you're looking for. As others have said, put money aside so that when opportunity presents itself, you'll be able to act rather than wish.

I wish you the best.

3. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

A friends dad gave me one when I was a kid, had been in a ditch for yrs. but was pretty complete. I waited about a week to go get it, and someone had stolen it, never did know where it went.

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I'm still comfused about this entitled age.I've never gotten a thing I did'nt bust my ass for.I now have a busted ass, and a few things that I'm truly proud of

5. jhaas63

jhaas63

I wouldn't say he is "entitled" working 12 hours a day laying concrete down. Sure, he doesn't like periods and comes on to a forum to wine about missing out on deals but he doesn't appear to feel entitled.

6. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Took me a good 10 years or so to find an A that I could afford.

7. I think he is blaming the wrong person. What did the seller or buyer do that was wrong? nothing.

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

If you truly want a particular type of car, ask everyone you come in contact with. If you have a mail-man/woman, ask them to look for you or let you know of anything?
    Ask the UPS guy/gal. Ask the FedEx guy.
    If you know of a lineman (power line guy) ask him. Those guys have the equipmnet to look into areas most don't. (I have a friend who has found so many cars and Coca Cola machines you wouldn't believe).
    Don't give up and don't complain. Sooner or later it'll happen

9. 63comet

63comet

Why does everyone want a Model A? Silly toy cars.

FWIW, I too get frustrated by the guys "in the loop" that find all the good deals, get the hook up on work, etc... But it takes time and work to get that networked.

10. Let me take a moment to disagree with 99% of you guys. I think jumping on this young guys ass and calling him entitled is flat wrong. Any kid willing to bust his ass pouring concrete for a 12 hour shift is doing anything but sitting on his ass feeling entitled. He's just getting his first taste of "somebody got there first with more money". It's happened to us all and it's a bitter pill to swallow but another car always pops up and one of them will have his name on it.

11. If your lookin for Sympathy it is between SHIT and Syphilis in the dictionary!!!

12. DVSKustomz

DVSKustomz
    from tucson,az

hey now come on guys im only 29 I work 5 12 hour shifts a week 3 kids and a wife lol you cant call the whole generation "the ENTITLED" iv been building my car for almost 2 years a dollar at a time and it will never be on the same level as most of your cars but I love my piece of scrap. yeah and this guy a lil whinney

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

jimmy has good advice---and you don't have to worry about this old guy ,i don't care for A models ---oh wait i would flip one...

14. primed34

primed34

That is truly funny!:D

15. I'm an old grizzly grey headed old fart. So from what I get if the 34 roadster I've been dreamin about comes up for sale I best pass on it so some whiney ass kid can buy it & the poor ol widow that has it will have to eat cat food for a while. Working 12 hrs a day huh? what hell last time I checked a day had 24 hrs in it. I'm not even going to get into how many hours & days I worked when I was younger. I can tell you this tho it sure was more than 12 hrs, more like 24/7. Maybe us old farts should find him one.

16. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Maybe the reason us OLD guys get the deals or are in the loop is because we tell people what we are looking for and if a lead turns up we check it out immediately. We take cash,, a trailer and we show up when we say we would..No waiting till tomorrow or trying to see if we have the funds....All of us have been there and just as sure as ALL of us will die,you will at some time or another run across a deal on what you want.

17. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

If you'd have brought it up several months ago, I coulda got you a (disassembled but complete) brookville roadster body for $2500......But I hear you about the older dudes. I'm 33 and my folks are amazed at how much rougher it is for our generation in regards to declining take-home pay, expenses, taxes, etc etc etc ad nauseum. I'd also broaden my models of interest. If someone walked up to me and offered me a running 57 Buick, I'd seriously consider trading for my A....that is, unless I had the duckets to own BOTH! ;)

18. I can not read shit without periods, and paragraphs!@?

19. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Maybe you are an Ex teacher or something. Most of us old car guys don"t care.

20. My 18yr old just read this and his comment was"Do you reckon all the OLD GUYS on here got roadsters at an early age"?He reads shite like this on Facebook.
    I don't know about the entiltled age group but definately the want it now age group.
    Build a bridge,there may be a roadster on the other side of it.
    You are leaving yourself open coming on like this.

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

BOO HOO ... poor you :p

Did you have the 6 grand ??
    Most of us " ole guys " have worked for 30 years or more. A lot of us worked two jobs plus hustlin ...

Boise' Iowa has 3 1928 Model A's on Craigslist.
    I am fairly certain that the owners of these Model A's can direct
    you to a group of Model A owners ... where you might find a roadster.

There are 2 1929's
    One ad for 1930 Model A parts
    4 ads for 1931 Model a' or parts.

In my opinion,
    You just are not looking hard enough !!

22. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I hate young people. . . . . you heard me.

23. 34Flatty

34Flatty

if you want it bad enough...it will happen. But that was painfully awful to read...put as much positive effort into finding the car you want as there was negative in this post and you'd have one in a week.

24. Motomike43

Motomike43

it was not meant to be.

p.s. i dont care if you use (. , ? ! $ " ) or any other punctuation. This is not high school english class. feel free to spell shit wrong and dont use capitals... its all about cars and metal

25. 63comet

63comet

Also gotta realize that pocket book and work wise there is nothing at all traditional, ol skool, whatever about building a Model A. In 1940, isn't that the date you threw down for style you're interested in?, a Model A would have been in the same price point and availability as that S-10 you're discussing building instead.

Wanting to play with HAMB friendly cars means you're playing a bigger money, more work game. We're fucking around with museum pieces here, not crappy used cars like they were back in the proverbial day.

26. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

When your young you can work long and hard, when your old you can play long but slow.
    But if you didn't work long and hard when you were young, your broke, old and just waiting to died.

27. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799249

Sport coupe, $2000, turn it into a roadster and have money left over, even after shipping.

Coupster, $800, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792301&highlight=roadster+body

1931 Roadster, $3600, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748927&highlight=roadster+body

I noticed you have had parts for sale on here, didnt notice the wanted section :confused: When Im looking for something, I let EVERYONE know, and that includes the HAMB. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  28. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

I was just looking at a '28 A roadster today thats for sale. Its in pieces and comes with a non 40's blown sbc. Hairpin front. Widow at my church is selling it and a running '48 Ford coupe with a sbf/c4 in it. I just took the '48 to Coffee & Cars this morning. Waiting for you to contact me.

29. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

When I was younger running dealerships, I worked MINIMUM 12 hours a day six days a week. Had the owner of one dealer ask me as I was headed home one night why I was working part time. "Part time? I worked 12 hours today." "Yah, he says.... only half a day."
    Point being, what are you doing the other 12 you can't cruise CL for 10 or 15 minutes?

30. Well life's ruff all over.

Ya want a little cheese to go with that whine?