Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1949 Lincoln Cosmo

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by skidmarc, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For some reason Lincolns before the seventies are very rare in Canada. I could go out tomorrow and find 5 Packards, 10 Cadillacs, and 20 Chryslers before I could find one fifties Lincoln.

2. cvhelleri

cvhelleri
    from fillmore

I picked up a 50 Cosmo about 4 years ago, bone stock barn find. I got the 337 flattie with original Edelbrock heads running and sold it. I put in its place a 460/c6 out of a 75 Lincoln with low miles. Put in a new cam, lifters, intake, carb and a head job. I prefer driving my cars with no problems and if there is a problem, ie: a bad water pump I can go to any corner auto parts store and get a pump for a 460. Just ask the teenager at Autozone for a water pump for a 50 Lincoln with a 337 engine. You will get the deer in the headlights look first and I can promise you that you will not walk out of the store with the pump in hand. I put in an m2 crossmember for a 55 through 59 Chevy truck for updated suspension and brakes and it worked quite well. Ive got to get the body done up and the interior still but I am driving the hell out of now and it is the best driving car I have put together yet. Good luck and have fun with her and if you have questions just let me know.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Glad to see its going to a good home. I have driven this car and almost bought it a couple times over the last 4 years. My friend Rand sold it, the car was on tv when the American pickers went to his place south of Maricopa. It was in the background when they bought the 48 airstream from him. The episode is called airstream dream. The car is fantastic but will need brakes and the hydraulic windows need fixed or replaced with power windows. Maybe a new harness since it was installed in 49! He rebuilt the carb and boiled the gas tank if I remember right. And someone etched the side windows sometime in the past. Its solid and now I miss it.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This kind of reasoning kills me. You took out an original running engine because you were afraid it might someday have a problem and stuck in an engine that already had problems (cam, lifter, intake, carb and valves). Now you are all happy because you can get parts at any parts store - for a 1975 Lincoln - ya right every small town Autozone has parts for a 38 year old luxury car on the shelf.

Then you put suspension out of a 2500 pound car (Mustang II) into a 5000 pound car. Words fail me.

As long as you are happy it doesn't have to make sense I guess.

By the way I am not picking on you - I see this kind of thinking all the time and it leaves me baffled.

Truckedup and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. I had a 1950, lido [baby lincoln] coupe at one time and always thought the toothy 50 Grille looked a LOT better than the old "Wurliltzer jukebox" 49 grille. I think that's the grille I'd be looking for if I had a '49.

6. cvhelleri

cvhelleri
    from fillmore

#1: you dont know me from anyone, how dare you blather on and on about crap you dont know anything about!! Now, the original engine was frozen up when I got it, though trials and tribulations I got it running for about 15 seconds. Now I am really happy for you that you have all the money in the world and can afford to rebuild a 337 flattie but most people can not. I am also happy for you that you can just go to whatever autoparts store and get flathead parts. Now I dont know what rock you live under but every single auto parts store around here carries what ever I need for a 460 and I am confident that ANY of the chain stores is going to have what I need if I need it, but oh yea, I havent broke down yet unlike what would have happened it I had kept the flattie. Now onto the suspension, You probably think I am some dumbass like yourself but I found a heavy duty crossmember and parts and then beefed them up. Now I have good brakes and it rides better than any new car. So you go ahead and be baffled while us out in the real world make these old cars actully fun and safe to drive and maybe someday when I am doing 80 down the freeway I will see you broke down in what ever p.o.s. you drive and I will go by, honk and flip your ass off. Douche Nozzle, dont put someone down without thinking that someone might come back at you!!!

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Thank you for explaining in your calmest most reasonable way, what your logic was. I think I understand you better now. Have a nice day.

8. JAWS

JAWS

Hmmm..What's the old adage about pointing fingers?

9. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

I think it is very similar to my 49 merc except mine is a fordor. Tailights are different,front grill is different. Hood would fit my merc, back window is the same, fenders would fit, i have a lincoln trunk and it fits, i know the doors would fit. All in all the interiors were way different but 49 merc dash could fit aswell as seats.

10. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Mine might be the baby lincoln trunk though. I still have the lincoln trunk emblem though.

11. I would seriously question that.
    Considering the lincoln is about 4 inches longer between the firewall and grille.

12. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Well im not an expert but im sure most lincoln parts could work. Sometimes i dont even lnow why i respond.

13. vtecgal

vtecgal

Here is my 1949 9EL coupe!

Attached Files:

14. vtecgal

vtecgal

1949 9EL Lincoln with a 350

Attached Files:

15. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:D:)A very nice car...:cool::D

16. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Engine hop ups could include , a clean up of the intake port and exhaust runners ,plenty to hog out I reckon .Big chevy valves on the inlets .Half race the cam ,by heel grinding to get lift only .Twin carbs ,a good lektric spark and a set of headers.Oh , and get the whole shebang balanced .

17. gatz

gatz

This car mentioned before had been for sale a few years back. Just found out about it a coupla months ago and was trying to get a lead on it as to whether it was still for sale or not. Could never find out for sure.

Sure like the lines of it. And, for me, the color makes it.

[​IMG]

18. Nice looking cars, the pics make me want a Lincoln rear bumper.

19. Not sure what you mean by that?:eek:

20. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

nice looking lincoln, got a 51 baby lincoln myself i am redoing. how goes the progress on yours. mine has the original 337 and hydra-matic. hoping to get the bodywork and paint done and a 12v conversion done for next summer.

Attached Files:

21. Here is one that I chopped a few years back

Attached Files:

Aussiepete. likes this.
  22. that is a good looking chop, bama..that profile is niiice

23. The green two door was sitting in the small garage in front of it just outside of Peterborough ,Ontario Canada a few years back. Got a call to come and see if we would be interested in the garage full of Mercury's by the son of the deceased man who had owned them. When we got there the Lincoln was sitting outside, looked like a nice clean car but when he hit us right off the bat with " I think this car should bring $100,00" we didn't even bother to go and look at the three 49/50 Mercury's he had inside that were the " good cars" ...
    Often wondered if anything ever happened with any of them or if they are all still there.. Only 40 minutes from my place.

24. Bob Scott

Bob Scott
    from St. Louis

My very first car was a 49 cosmo that I got from a funeral parlor. Every time I rolled the power windows up or down the inside of the car smelled like hydro fluid. never could find the leak but I had to top it off once a month or so.

25. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The "baby" Lincoln that shared some parts with the Mercury was a Lincoln. It had a longer wheelbase, so I'd guess that the front fenders and hood would be different. The larger engine was also physically bigger that the Ford/Mercury passenger engine, thus the longer wheelbase (plus the more luxurious cars in that day had longer wheelbases than the cheaper ones).

The larger ones were called Lincoln Cosmopolitans and came in three body styles -- coupe, sedan, and I believe they called it a Town Sedan -- like the maroon one show in any earlier post.

As I recall, the regular Lincoln had a sporty coupe, ala Ford Crestline(r?) and Mercury Monterey, called the Lido.

26. I know of three here in NZ and one of them is a convertible.:D

27. My avatar is a 50 Lincoln that was in Hot Rod magazine Nov. 1962 and displayed at the Seattle Worlds fair same year. The car is still around and running. Their are photos of it in my albums.. In one of the photos you can see the trophy is shaped like the Space Needle in Seattle that was built for the fair.

28. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Are you sure that wasn't embalming fluid you smelled? :D

29. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Lifer --

You're right -- there was a Cosmopolitan convertible, the heaviest model at 4419!

I can't find model by model breakdowns, but in 1949 they produced 38,384 Lincolns versus 35,123 Cosmopolitans -- and the big deal advertising-wise, was that the could be had with Hydramatics.

They produced 7769 '48 Lincolns, but 73,507 '49s -- almost ten times more.

30. My '49er had a hyramatic in it.
    Was due to Ford not being geared up early enough when
    they decided to use the 337 truck motor in the "new" Lincolns.