Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need to choose which one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, May 4, 2013.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Unfortunately this may be my own sitting and rotting thread. That's what I'm hoping to prevent soon.
    I have two Hamb friendly vehicles and both need attention. The 1950 Ford is closer but both need lots of work. Next is a 64 Ford car.
    Here they are....

The 1950 F-1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1950 top shift 3 speed

[​IMG]
    1968 302

[​IMG]
    I'm not too crazy about this engine mount. It is mounted to the flathead mount with brackets bolted to each engine head. I think I need to replace this with a proper cross member mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is some fresh damage to the rear bed panel. That bumper and crappy wiring is has got to go.

[​IMG]

Here is the cause of the damage below the tailgate. This is what happens when 13 year old girls try to show off their cranking skills. She did not have the whole in gear and clutch thing figured out.

To drive the truck needs new tires, a gas tank, wiring, engine mounts maybe, radatior, the engine tuned,steering overhauled and new brakes. I also have the original flathead V8. I would really like to run the flathead but I enjoy the 302 also. One day I hope to put a proper 1950 front end on it.

1964 Ford Fairlane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mayor Daly's signature on a what remains of a 1966 City of Chicago parking decal. I wonder if he voted in the last election? Fortunately the O.O. was in the military and probably did not drive it much up there as the car is really rust free.

[​IMG]
    Not a good pic but I would like to run dog dishes and trim rings.

[​IMG]
    The remains of a white vinyl top. I like the looks of them but I may just paint the top white instead of going with the vinyl top. I have not decided. Until I got this car I did not know such was optional on Fairlanes in 64.

The Fairlane has been dormant since 1977 or 80. To run it needs the engine rebuilt, transmission rebuilt or at least new seals, power steering rebuilt, new brakes, new drums, wirring???,gas tank, tires and two new taillight lenses.

As you can see both are extremely dirty but I thought you might enjoy seeing the starting point. I go back and fourth about which one to start on first. I feel the truck may can be done fairly easily as the engine should be good.

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

If it were me I would tackle the truck first. Both are fine looking rides though

3. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Put the 302 in the fairlane and put the flathead back in the truck and do the fairlane first. My 2 cents.

4. farmer12

farmer12

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would go with the truck first. The only thing is you mentioned your children, do you take them along with you to runs? Is there enough room in the truck?

Doc.

6. I love trucks,,problem is I love 1964 Fairlanes also,:rolleyes:

Build the truck and have something to have fun with and drive it and enjoy while working on the 64. HRP

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The Fairlane has the five bolt 64 289 block the truck has the 6 bolt 68 302. I have thought of swapping cranks and rods though.
    The Fairlane is in the original condition, I would really like to build up the 289 for it with 60s era stuff.

8. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Truck much kooler car.
    Fairlane NAW

9. this gets my vote. I want my pick up back on the road so I can work on other projects. then when they are good. I can really tear into the pickup like I want. I hate note having an old ride on the road.

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

TRUCK TRUCK TRUCK but I really like that year Ford. The car is super cool and you can do it while you are cruising the truck on parts runs.

11. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

If I had that Fairlane, the truck would be long gone if it was keeping me from driving the car!

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Doc Watson,
    You have a good point. The whole family,4, can ride in the Fairlane but only three of us can ride in the F-1 and It's tight.

Now when I was a kid all 4 of us rode in regularly in a 64 F-100. My father even built my brother and I a bench to ride on in the bed.
    When I was toddler I rode standing up in the front seat between my grandparents and it was a treat to sit in my grandfather's lap and drive while he drove. Those days are long gone.

Hotrodprimer,

I think I'll do that. The truck may be a pretty "simple" fix as it was on the road just a few years ago. It's been nearly 40 years since the Fairlane has driven. The truck has been messed with. So there is a measure of freedom there to change stuff. The Fair lane on the otherhand is kind of special in way as it's like a time capsule. I think my best bet would be to get the F-1 going and have a fun ride then really do the Fairlane up right.

13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

1964countrysedan,

That F-1 is not keeping me from the Fairlane. Being married with two kids I have sacrificed cars before. What happens is, in a couple of months the money is gone sometimes quicker and the car is long gone. Once you have them, they do eat much unless your actively working on them.

14. I vote the 64. Cool car to begin with, and Im not all that much a fan of the looks of the F1s.

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

16. eppster

eppster

Out of all the many cars I've had my 64 Fairlane ranks up as one of my favorites. That truck would be sold down the road to by what I needed for the Fairlane !!!

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Cool Truck but a lot of them around..
    Go with the '64 !
    Good luck, and remember..
    It is your choice, but you did ask for our opinions !
    Cheers.......

18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

F-1s are not for everyone. They kind of have a robust look to them while AD Chevys, their main competition of the era looked a little more refined, I dare say prettier? To me F-1s look the best viewed from the rear quartering away. In that view the curves of the cab, fenders and bed line all look the best.

The Fairlane, she's going to be a sweetheart. To me they look best stock level with maybe just slight tail high rubber rake. They do not have the big ass like a Galaxie to be very high in the back. A Fairlane jacked up too high looks too much like a Falcon or 'Gulp' Mustang.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd get the truck up and operational and have fun driving it while I worked on the Fairlane. You will need a truck to haul stuff to the machine shop for that any way. It doesn't sound like you have too much work to get it up and functional, not hing that a few weeks and a few hundred dollars won't solve. The mounts are original Hurst brand or a good copy thereof, and depending on what has been done for a trans and trans mount ahould work fine with possibly the addition of some stabilizing mounts at the bell housing. If the stock trans crossmember has been removed you do have some more work involved though.

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I'm a Chevy man but a couple of friends have F-1's. Original patina, steel wheels with hubcaps, but, underneath, all the comforts. A/C, power steering, electric windows, etc.......When we travel, they haul everything. Now I want one,

21. magneto57

magneto57

22. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Flip a coin, I will buy the loser..

23. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I'd say the truck because it looks like it needs more attention and the fairlane is already in a garage out of the elements.

24. RUSTALOT

RUSTALOT
    from GA.

Love the truck but man that fairlane would be cool!!! Hard to decide:confused:

25. brad chevy

brad chevy

Put the flathead in the truck,save the SB for the car,sell the truck and build something that the whole family can enjoy and still be a nice ride. The car.

26. I have a similar problem, too many projects too little time and money. My first thought is fix the easyest one first -truck, bur those fairlanes make cool mild customs. good luck and post pics

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I have a bell housing adapter, 6bolt SBF to early 1939/F-1 transmission. I'm using the f-1 pressure plate and throwout bearing. So I'm using the original transmission mounts with the original transmission. The 302 is mounted like a flathead with the above mentioned mounts. They are well made but a little unfinished cosmetically.

I've never had problems with engine movement as it's really secure. It's much more secure than some of the front motor mount set ups I have seen on GM engines.

I had a 55 1st GMC with homemade front mounts adapted to a 1970 300HP 350 that had a dog chain around the frame and exhaust manifold to keep the engine from twisting out of the frame. If you revved the engine it would twist and hit the floorboard and firewall. It had cracked the H-400's bell housing. That mount was quickly replaced by a cross member.

It's good to know that the mount on the F-1 was made commercially or based on such.

That F-1 transmission does well. You have to be firm but not rough, you cannot baby it either. 2nd gear is a blast.

29. Truck.......but then again I am biased.

30. Veach

Veach

The truck is a very cool ride but I enjoy the Family with me when I go places so I'd go with the Car.The truck is also a very easy sale so I would just get it running and clean Her up sell Her use that money to speed things up on the Car and enjoy some shows with my Family.Thats my two cents but its not worth half that