Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got my '42 drums all F-ed up today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edhd58, May 3, 2013.

1. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

Well, I took the hubs/drum assembly to a local shop that does brake work. Told them to press the hubs out and see if the drums would clean up. Went back the next day and they had the drums off, but told me they were too warped, front to back not out of round. The damaged was done getting them off the hubs, said they were seized from 70 years of probably never being off the car. Paid them an hours labor. picked up the hubs to leave, when one of the guys started bragging about how hard he had to beat on them with a sledge to get the hubs out of the drums. I didn't have time right then to look good, but ahen I got home I started looking and sure nuff, they beat the heck out of one of them. Now i'm not sure if the one hub is even usaeable. I'll put it on tomorrow and see how true it is or isn't. At the very least I'm in need of good '42 drums, with hubs behind the drums.

2. Wasn't the idea of taking them there that they'd use a press or something?

3. why didn't you have them turned with the drums mounted on the hub?

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

If you're talking about '42 Ford drums, you don't take them off the hubs !
    You have them turned while they are still on the hubs - fronts & rears !
    The studs are swedged & you kinda' have to kill the drums to get them off the hubs, but why would you want to ?

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

X2. They owe you some drums. The clowns didn't realize they were swaged (pronounced swedged) and the swages should be cut, not beaten to death.

Copy this information below and take it to your "garage" and have them buy you some new drums.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/swaging.htm

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ugh. These are old cars that need guys that understand it. Never take something to someone who doesnt understand that, unless you want to trash good parts and buy new used stuff. Most components are made to last a frickin long time if some jackoff does not f it up.

7. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

I took them to several places, and called several more explaining what I have. All said the same thing, with such a small hole in the hub the whole thing won't fit on their lathes. I did tell them to PRESS the hubs out, I never gave them the okay to beat the crap out of them they decided among themselves to do that. Yeah the fronts wont be a problem. I kinda figured n new drums anyway, they looked like crap. I just am hoping the hub isn't messed up.

8. I'd inspect the hubs closely checking for run-out and damaged stud holes, easy to screw up the holes and bend or crack the flanges if you don't cut the swage off and then press or hammer them apart.

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

So why did they need to be turned? And were they alread surfaced before?

10. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

Saxon, Thanks for the info, it will be very helpful getting everything back together correctly. I know they're gonna tell me it was my fault for telling them they were press fitted. My argument is gonna be that I never told them to beat the crap out of them. As for the swaging tools, is there a supplier a guy can get them from?? I have access to a 100 ton press in the machine shop at work. Luckily I do have another set of hubs and drums, I bought a different rear because the original had broken ring/pinion gears. They needed to be turned because when you drove it and hit the brakes, the pedal pulsated like crazy.

As a matter of fact, for some reason as I was leaving from dropping off the drums, something deep in my gut told me to go back and get them. My head reasoned that surely they would stop if they wouldnt come apart fairly easily ON THE PRESS. Damn I hate when I don't listen to that little voice inside me.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

We have all had these Issues. You are not alone. It will workout and youll dig it. Best of luck.

12. You could just buy new studs, ream out the hubs/drums and make them a regular slip fit type (but the drums have to go on the outside of the hub.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278605

13. kb cookout

kb cookout

HI contact me if you can't find anyone local to turn the drums, I'm 50 miles NW of Louisville and I have the old style (small shaft) brake drum lathe and the fixtures for the ford rear drums

later kb

14. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I have given up on the theory of dropping my old Ford parts off and expecting the shop to do it correctly. Machine work, brake drums, it doesn't matter. I don't blame my local shops. It's just the fact that things were made differently 70 years ago. To an average shop, old is 1970's. They simply don't deal with parts made in the 40's on a daily basis. I have become acquainted with my local businesses and they know they will have to deal have some oddball crap (swaged hubs etc.) when I walk through the door. Unfortunately, It takes more effort than the guy working on his Camaro.

Just my .02,
    Mitch

15. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Seems you need to hold a class for the work that needs done. That's sad:(:eek::eek:

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I feel your pain, but as soon as that guy said, "sledge hammer", my wallet would have gone back into my pocket and my shoes would have been headed to the managers office.

17. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Those drums must be turned as a assembly with the hubs,they will never run true done as 2 pieces.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

If no auto shops can do it, check with a machine shop, it'd be an easy job to turn them there too

19. aojo

aojo

Well this thread is certainly worth the read.. great info and future contacts here.. thanks guys.

20. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

I hit the jackpot today. I made several calls to semi-local shops (30 miles or so) and found one that said they could do the job. When I got there the owner said "oh hell, I dont have a shaft THAT small". He did however know a old guy that been working on these old cars fo over 40 years.
    He called the guy, that actually lives close to us, and he is out running some errands and will drop by in a few minutes.

The old guy turns out to be a Bill Miles that owns

Miles Auto Parts and Machine Shop
    Dixie Highway
    Louisville, KY
    502-935-5583

Making a long story short, Miles can do the work, the right way. In fact both guys let me know Miles can do any work that needs to be done on my car. ITS GONNA BE A GOOD DAY

21. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

A little late,but now we know the meaning of reliable machine shop..

22. Miles can do almost anything you want! Always been a good shop.

23. edhd58

edhd58
    from kentucky

Got the 42 hubs back today. Miles said they're fine. Now to find a set of oem drums. If anybody has a set of original 42 drums let me know. I am also looking for a good set of 46 to 48 drums. I have both styles of hubs, I want to put 42 back on the car, but hey you can only do whats available.