Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best tool and technique to cut teflon stainless braided AN liines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Thunderboy, May 3, 2013.

1. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Im helping a buddy plumb his fuel system and i have used these teflon lines for hydralic steering before with decent success but have always had minor leaks

I have tried cutting with a fine hacksaw but i always screw this up by cutting at an angle and not straight.

The cut off wheel works great but the heat distorts the inner teflon tubing and all the cut off wheel dust and grime gets inside the hose and can be difficult to flush out clean. It is also a paim to debur the teflon using this cut off wheel cut method because it sorta melts the teflon.

We are using the teflon since it supposed be better for fuel smell and seepage over the rubber braided lines.

Any tool suggestions ot better diy ways to cut this stuff clean and straight. The lines are -6 and -8

2. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

In most cases, the Teflon lined hose is for brake lines. I have used the rubber lined hase on a Nitro Fuel Digger with line pres. Of 300 psi with absoluly no problems. Best way to cut either SS braided hose is with a tool available from Summit Racing, Jrgs or Speedway. Use anti seize on the hose ends.

Good luck

3. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Summit part number SUM-900040 to cut the line and Kool Tool to install the AN hose ends. Will save you a lot of bleeding finger tips and makes the ends go on in a snap.

4. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

Diamond blade on a circular saw set up in a hose cutting fixture. There is no faster/cleaner way that I have ever seen.

5. pdq67

pdq67

Use a big heavy straight cut SHARP cold chisel and a flat heavy iron as an anvil and a 5 pound blacksmith hammer and hit it with one HARD blow and you should be good to go.

pdq67

6. As suggested above or you can buy a special cutter - like a side cutter plier but bigger and sharper. They are not particularly expensive and will also cut stainless cable for racing bicycle gears and brakes. I got three top quality pairs when my wife's company closed down. You could have one on loan but I'm sat here in the North West of England and you're on the East Coast. Although we are going to Parsippany in couple of weeks.... ;-)

I also use one of those mandrels that opens up the braid to take the olive and then rams it home. Saves the fingers.

7. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Where can i find such a blade? I was thinking of this for my dewalt 12 miter saw that would work like a charm if i can source a blade

8. wrap it in masking tape. put a thin cut off disk in your dremel tool. carefully take off tape. it works well for me.

9. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

With out a doubt the best way. It leaves no residue from cutting or abrasive dust at all,just a clean cut.
    Go to the hardware store and find a brick chisel,about 5 inch wide.
    Sharpen it up a bit and use a block of aluminum so not to dull it quickly.
    Done it this way for years.
    Heard someone on here uses a Beverly shear b2 with good results as well.
    If you cannot cut it with one swing,you swing a hammer like a girl.

10. http://us.fscurtis.com/products/download.htm?ft=download&id=18&fid=99

They are not cheap :eek:

I've had great luck with using electrical tape and a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel. Mark your cut, wrap hose with tape, and cut thru the tape.

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

I've done all sizes from -3 to-16 and have always used the cut off wheel in the cut off air tool, used to call them wizwheels.

Wrap with masking tape or electric tape and go to it. Don't force the cut. nice and easy.

Teflon is the best hose material, IMO. Very easy to work with once you get the experiance.

12. HotRodAV8

HotRodAV8
    from Seattle Wa

jump shear and tape works good.

13. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

FWIW

I have used an old flaring tool vise to hold the tube, then used dremel cutoff wheel to cut tubing.

Jack

14. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Ive been using cut off wheel disc they work fast but the devri gets innthe line and it sora melts the end of the hose for the brass ferule

Im heading to Lowes to check what they have for blades