Register now to get rid of these ads!

Soft Clutch SM420

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Apachegail, May 3, 2013.

1. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Hello All,

I have a strange problem with my clutch. At first I thought there was a problem between the seat and the steering wheel but I think I have about ruled that out. After about an hour or so of driving especially when I get stuck in traffic my clutch goes soft. I need to push the pedal all the way down to the floor so that I can shift. This usually goes away next time I drive for a while and then it starts again. I replaced the oil in the trans last year and probably have less that 100 miles on it. I am about to service the diff with a new seal and some fresh oil. I did a search on here and on google and no luck. Any ideas? This is my first standard.

Thank you

2. is it adjusted correctly? 1 inch of free play at the top?

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In your '59 Apache? Is that a hydraulic clutch?

4. davedriveschevy

davedriveschevy

Some gear oils wont play nice in certain transmissions, gl5 grade in a tranny with bronze bushings or syncros can cause shifting problems. Switching to gl4 or a synthetic can remedy this.

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks for the responses all

tb33anda3rd

I have more than that probably about 3 inches of play at the top.

Rickybop

This is definitely a mechanical one

davedriveschevy

I was careful to use GL4, you can only get it directly from the manufacturer now. Not even Napa was able to help, I wound up getting a case from Amsoil.

6. rustyangels

rustyangels

Check your z-bar frame pivot, they crack then open up

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I didn't get back sooner Gail. Ok...definitely mechanical. I doubt that it's a problem with the transmission. I think your pressure plate may be getting worn out. They do go bad...they can lose spring pressure. Your symptoms are a little confusing considering you said it gets worse with miles and then not so bad the next time you start out. You also said it gets worse in traffic...that's a clue. The heat buildup due to friction may be exaserbating the problem. I'm tempted to suggest that you try adjusting the linkage to take out the play...and that might get you by for a while. But if the pressure plate is going bad, you might not even have enough adjustment in the linkage to compensate. I'd start by having someone actuate the clutch while someone else watches the movement of the linkage from underneath the car. Watch for flexing of the rods and related hardware. Also look for play at all the pivot points due to worn bushings...including the pedal. Also look to see if you have enough adjustment available so you could possibly bring the pedal up. But past that, I think you're due for a new pressure plate. While the trans is off, you might as well replace the disc and possibly the throwout bearing too...especially if the clutch hasn't been serviced in a long while. As an added measure, inspect the flywheel for discoloration due to heat buildup and also check it for flatness. Also look closely for cracks. If your cluch doesn't have any shuddering or vibration or "bouncing" when you take off, chances are that it's flat enough...but it doesn't cost too much to have a flywheel re-faced. If you replace the pressure plate, clutch disc and throwout bearing, have the flywheel re-surfaced and adjust the linkage correctly, you'll have a beautifully smooth clutch that'll last a long time. Good luck.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

RustyAngels
    Thanks I will check that out

RickyBop
    The tranny is silky smooth since I changed the old oil (was like tar). When I say it comes back I mean it will work for a while. When it does come back it is never as good as it was the last time I started off. I think I will take it to a local shop, I don't feel comfortable messing with it myself. Once I'm in there I'll have it all changed because she sat since 97 and I don't know what happened before that. Thanks again for the info!