Register now to get rid of these ads!

Five Favorite Hot Rod Artists

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 2, 2013.

1. For my 60th birthday my wife surprised me with my own Tom Fritz original of my '32. I've done a little automotive art, so I'm really critical of others work. Every year we go to Pebble Beach and after looking at the cars, go through the Automotive Fine Arts display. There's a lot of artists, and then there is Tom Fritz. He's got the light figured out and can give the illusion of great detail without getting tedious, and no gimmicks. As far as I'm concerned he's the Norman Rockwell of automotive art.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  2. yekoms

yekoms

Stogy likes this.
  3. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Ok, I was trying to put it into words, but I'm a weez fan. That reminds me, I need another T shirt...

Stogy likes this.
  4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Fritz's sunset painting is amazing.

Stogy likes this.
  5. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Check out Jeff Norwell's web site, lots of great stuff!

Stogy likes this.
  6. seatex

seatex

All mentioned and plenty more, Sheeeyit, we can't forget Von Franco!

Stogy likes this.
  7. FASI

FASI

I will toss in the name of the late great Dave Bell. He had a style of his own and knew the nuances of every car portrayed.

Stogy likes this.
  8. guy1unico

guy1unico

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  9. truckjim

truckjim

Keep an eye on him. Someday you can say you knew him when.:D His latest is incredible work.

Stogy likes this.
  10. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

There are so many great artists out there but I think you nailed a solid 5 for paintings like you said. I hope to keep at my own to become great someday. I do love rubens work also!!

Stogy likes this.
  11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

That was exactly my thought as I checked out the Pebble Beach art exhibit. As I talked to some of the other artists exhibiting there at Pebble Beach, many of them felt the same way, Tom's in his own class. And he's all hot rods with his work, amongst all of the more-or-less classic car artists there. And he still stands out and has respect from those people. Classy guy too.

Stogy likes this.
  12. bluthndr

bluthndr

Sometimes I feel like I can just stare at them for hours... Soul stirring would be a good description for some of these works. At a lot of the shows I get as much out of the artists' vendor booths - sometimes as much as I get out of all the cars. My shop office has a couple framed Weesner prints, and I love Tom Fritz' stuff but can't afford it. I am a huge fan of Norwell also - surprised Ryan didn't mention him? I can hang with the car guys, as I do it 24/7. The artists are in a league of their own - that makes me appreciate them that much more.

Stogy likes this.
  13. bluthndr

bluthndr

Love his stuff too and have one on my wall - amazing what he can do with just a pencil!

Stogy likes this.
  14. While the thread title is misleading with respect to the criteria that Jive-Bomber presented, its intent is still very worthwhile. As far as automotive fine artists that specialize in original paintings Tom Fritz well deserves all of the accolades listed above. I would place him at the top of my list as well.

The fantastic Ed Tillrock actually posted an original oil painting here on the FAS a few weeks back - take a minute and check it out.

I also enjoy the impressionistic paintings of Dan Brown (dankyd).

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don't think I could do better than that, although I want to chime in that I think the advertising illustrators of the '40s and '50s are severely underrated. That is easily my favorite art style.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  16. flamingokid

flamingokid

Weesner,but to some extent,all of them.Being someone who can't draw a straight line,I appreciate most artwork unless it's just plain bad.

Stogy likes this.
  17. syxxstring

syxxstring

Some newer guys that really inspire me:
    Max Grundy
    fearisthenewbeauty.com

Doug Horne
    Swampfirelounge.com

Chris Dunlop
    Pinstripechris.com

Stogy likes this.
  18. Model Man

Model Man
    from Georgia

Fritz and Kurz then along came Foggertt (sp)...just so they don't have lights that come on as part of the art...ughhh.

Stogy likes this.
  19. flash

flash

Jonathan Bradstreet is damn good with a brush too. He's on the HAMB, maybe he'll post a few images...

Stogy likes this.
  20. primed34

primed34

X2 I also like Pete Milar, Jeff Norwell, and Tom Medley.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

If we're talking just fine art paint, my favorites are, In no particular order, Mayabb, Stanford, Fritz, Deal, Norwell, Froggett, Smith, Tillrock

Stogy likes this.
  22. im going to give my favorite. its joel naprestek he can capture the super stock and a/fx era like no other. one of his pieces is painted on the wall at garlits museum honoring the ss/fx drivers.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Eric Black has to be right up there for me....so many good ones!

Stogy likes this.
  24. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I picked up this Weesner print at a Swap Meet last year. It's one of my favorite pictures in my workshop!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  25. QB409

QB409

I feature Jeff Norwell's fine art in my gallery as well as the works of less talented artists such as Picasso.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  26. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

I'd have to agree with most every artist mentioned but disagree with your distinction between Artist and Illustrator. The difference as any illustrator knows is in the security of the financial reward.
    An illustrator usually has an Art Director involved, a deadline, and a predetermined price.
    An artist has only self imposed deadlines, no outside direction or client influence and no idea what he will receive financially.
    Superior talent is required by both areas, technique or medium is not a distinction. Pen and ink, silkscreen, etching has all been employed by "fine artists" as well as oils.
    Remember Michelangelo was commissioned and art directed by a Pope.

Stogy likes this.
  27. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

WELL SAID !!
    Mort Lawrence captured the fast and furious spirit in the 50s .

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  28. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

JEFF NORWELL, Can do anything if you can describe it.:)

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stefan Marjoram & Ben Quilty are the best modern painters. Artists? Geo Ham, Gus Maanum. Hot rod? - very narrow field- artists? (the word is over-used). Those already mentioned, plus?

[​IMG]

Please excuse my butting in on the greats here. Weekly, I paint car portraits that 'stir no emotion'. They stir enough to put a lil' food on the table. I also do 'live' portraits of motorsport.
    The adjoining pic shows a selection of the last 12 week's work. I see few others painting from life. These are all sourced from the 'live' subject. Direct. Studio input usually consists of minor digital re-touching for eventual print or online use.
    The attached pic shows my relief at having finished with the easel that I had set in the strip stands in order to do this 3 1/2 hour painting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  30. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

x2

I can't argue with the list, just the seemingly implied idea that "classically trained painters" corner the market on fine art :)

Tillrock's pencil illustrations are every bit the "fine art" as any painting you'll find.

Stogy likes this.