Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Demystifying the ol' Hood Peak

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, May 1, 2013.

1. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Very cool stuff . Thanks for sharing.:cool::D

2. seatex

seatex

Great and entertaining post............you re one talented (sock) fucker...........

3. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

WOW WOW! I have always wondered how to do this, now I know. Thanks!

4. Moedog07

Moedog07

Best read I've had all day.

5. Tommy R

Tommy R

Kick ass. And damned entertaining to boot! Thanks for taking the time!

6. "finagling, swearing and shimmy-shystering"? :rolleyes:

Great post even though some of the technical jargon needs translation. Great for tech week.

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

"finagling, swearing and shimmy-shystering"? :rolleyes: ''Home Home on the range,,,,,,,:):D:cool::eek:

8. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Great job man, and very timely! I've been looking for a good method to peak mine, and there really isn't much here that actually explains much for a metal-retard like me.

9. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:) That is a fine 50 . I read your build . It don't need any changes. It is beautiful the way it is. Enjoy it.:cool: :D

10. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

peaked to perfection - nice work

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

nice thread, good humor and proper documentation and execution!

12. I REALLY wanted to update this thread today with pics of the inside of the hood all finished and lookin' spiffy. Instead, I got precisely this far...

[​IMG]

I cut out the inner support structure and started to clean it up, then just had to take care of one little household chore that wouldn't take any time at all...

Well, there's always next weekend. :rolleyes:

13. Household chore?!?!??? WTF?!?:confused: Where are your priorities man? I'm sorely disapointed in you! :rolleyes::D

14. jazz1

jazz1

Nice work, you really get that no turning back OH Shit! feeling when you slice the hood..not sure if I would have attempted to repair my hood if not having a spare hood or 3. My hood work was much easier,,just cutting out rotten tin and welding seam

[​IMG]

15. how did i miss this??
    Damn brother...everytime i see your posts, i get more and more excited about the shoe.
    O yah, if you have your jig still setup, wanna make another peak? I'll trade you a shitty white shoebox dash for it...

16. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...hahaha....household chores = peace in the valley. This whole thread is inspirational Gene...er, um... Mr Winfield....er, um....Andrew Winfield, sir...

17. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Wow ta got to watch what you say, people actually listen to you !:eek:

18. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

After a bit of shimmy-shystering...when I should be living clean instead. Fine job on the peak. Hats off for the reference.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

19. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Great work bro. You are a ruler. Keep at it.

20. Um, yeah... no. Got a long way to go, but thanks for the kind words, David.

You guys picked up on the Flintstones and Tom Waits references, the Steve Martin lyrics have been mentioned but not identified yet :D

21. jazz1

jazz1

Warpage should not be a problem as Big A says he took his time welding. Myself I would have been cooling the welds with a wet cloth but that can get sloppy and you can end up catching some power surges yourself. I would leave one hood support on until the other can be put back on,,just my thinking. Regardless this is the kind of thread that keeps me on the hamb.

22. big creep

big creep

man i wish i would have seen this sooner! i did the bar and bondo way, but i may be redoing it after seeing this! thanks again!

23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I think there is more positive following than any I have seen in a long time .:D:cool::eek:

24. Just caught up with the thread A. Great job man! Doin' it yourself......your way. Stay on it dude!

25. Johnnyx5150

Johnnyx5150

Frikking peak came out badass! Great job!!

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

27. Nice approach man! I really like it a lot. Great job!

BloodyKnuckles

28. Managed to squeeze in a couple hours on the weekend, to so a bit of an update.

Got the underside cleaned up a bit. This is a driver (or will be... I hope... some day), so I didn't worry toooo much about cleaning off all the existing undercoat crap, but I did make sure my welds were solid... ugly, but solid...

[​IMG]

Stuck the bracing back in and tacked it up. Had to get creative with my clampage...

[​IMG]

I'm not planning on opening my hood in public, but this will be seen so I spent more time cleaning up my welds and grindin' 'em down...

[​IMG]

And when in doubt spray some black crap over everything...

[​IMG]

But then I wasn't happy with the exposed welded seams, so I went back and whacked 'em down a bit with a flap wheel then resprayed more black crap. Looking better now...

[​IMG]

Then I got bored and took some artsy shots. I guess I need to figure out what the HAMBigram thing is all about if I'm going to keep this up :D

[​IMG]

It's pretty obvious that I'm no metal finisher, but once this is epoxied and filled a little (not a ton) it should clean up nicely. Hard to get a shot of the peak with so many reflections...

[​IMG]

This is where the magic happens :D

[​IMG]

Next I'm going to have a look at those really nice fenders that took me so long to find... and I'm gonna cut 'em up. But that's a story for another night. :D

Thanks again for all the positive responses.

29. Bugguts

Bugguts

Man, I laughed, I learned and I loved it. Good job!