Register now to get rid of these ads!

Persistence pays off...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, May 3, 2013.

1. This goes back a little ways. Back when I was in my early 20's (I think I was 22 or 23) I bought a 1946 Ford pickup. It was my first flathead car that was complete. Also the first running flathead I ever owned. I was looking for one and this was about the only one I could find. I always liked the deco styling they have even as homely as they are, and the fact that most people hate em makes my love for the 1942-1947 Ford pickups even stronger. I loved that ol 46. It was my only car at times. It had a 59AB and a three speed. It was a beat up ol farm truck and smoked like crazy. But I loved it. I put a dropped axle in it I had sent to Mor Drop and just drove the snot out of it.

[​IMG]

Not long after I bought this old 46, I spotted a green 1947 1/2 ton not too far from my house. It looked in a lot better shape so I stopped one day to ask about it. A women in her middle age owned it, she said it was her Dad's pickup and she used to drive it to school. It was not for sale, she was going to have it restored. That was about 10 years ago. I would drive by it now and again. It sat behind their house, behind a cyclone fence in the alley. About every year or so I would pay the woman a visit. "Not for sale" was always the answer. I ever tried to leave my number but she said she would never part with it. She was always kind and polite, but made it known how much she liked that ol pickup.

I ended up selling my ol 46 years ago. Something else better popped up, and like always...something had to go. Out of all the old cars I have had, I miss that ol pickup the most. I just loved that thing. Jamie Loved it too. We went out on our first date in it! I have been looking for another 42-47 pickup for a few years. I even got another one a couple years back...but shortly after I bought my 33 pickup and that 46 had to go.

So last Friday I did not have to work. I was downtown running errands and on the way home noticed the women was home who owned the 47. I knocked on the door, and again asked if she would ever consider selling the ol truck. She had rememebered me from years past. I was shocked, as this time she said yes, her and her husband had just discussed selling it a few days prior. Her Father passed away last year, and she said she realized she would never get it under cover like she always wanted to, let alone restore it. She was pretty excited though about how much I seemed to like the ol pickup. So I looked it over (first time I had seen it up close), and a deal was struck! Hence the title of this thread. Keep after those cars that are never for sale. One day, they just might be!

It is ugly. I mean, old faded green paint with every inch of trim painted the same green. But it's a strait ol truck with very little rot. It is a 6 cylinder, three speed. I think it will run, I have not had too much time to mess with it though. Both fan belts are shot, and I am having a heck of a time finding replacements. I gave it a quicky wash job and the oxidized paint cleaned up and darkened revealing a nice dark green. I think if I waxed it up it would look pretty decent! I want to paint all the trim the factory yellowish-white color, tune it up, brakes, glass... basically clean it up, make it safe and comfortable and drive it. I eventually want to get another dropped axle and kind of copy my old 46. Anyways, here it is. I am right in the middle of moving into a different house, so progress on this ol girl is going be pretty much nill for a while.

Here she is how she looked sitting since 1991

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way home

[​IMG]

And today after a bath. You can see the faded color compared to the cleaned up color in some of the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris,

The stuff you come up with is amazing, good for you !!

3. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

quite a story, thanks...

4. Great looking trucks!

5. Nice goin, Chris.......again. I'd love to have one in that condition. When I look at the photos of it, I can't help but map out a plan of action if it was mine. Lessee, what would I do with it.......
    Welp, I'd have to put a dropped axle in it and remove about 5 leafs from each spring with a pair of 3" blocks in the back. I'd rewire it and do a "SUPER SPIFF" on the whole truck, cleaning it up and re-do the stock seat with that old 1/2" thick brown vinyl they used from the factory. I'd keep the green paint [but no white factory accent color on it] and buff it out, even the bare spots so it'd shine. Center caps [46 passenger car caps] with green original wheels and a split manifold with mellow mufflers........exhaust all the way out the back. No cheezy fake name on the doors tho...I hate that!
    Lose the spare tire, extra farm lighting and rear fender straps...If all the electrical stuff works, I'd be tempted to leave it 6 volt after the re-wire and I'd have to spring for an old 6 volt radio for it also, cleverly and cleanly mounted in the dash.
    Yeah, just a clean, low truck with dual pipes and shiny green paint.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  6. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

Beautiful truck! It looks like it's going to clean up nicely once the oxidation is removed from the old paint. I like your idea of repainting the trim work. It's pretty one-note with everything the same color. Subscribing to this one...

7. Jesus man, it never ends for you, and lets hope it never does.
    Great story and great score!!!

8. jlibert

jlibert
    from fresno

Cool story. Looks like it's in good hands now.

9. great old truck!

10. onedge

onedge

Nice going it's a swell old Ford.

11. HoosierBuddy

HoosierBuddy
    from Indiana

If I were you: I'd get it running and drive it just like that.

You could park that truck in a lot full of restored beauties and it would draw more attention than the rest of them put together. Just something about something that original that speaks to people.

THEN...after a couple of years if you decide to, you could take it off the frame and restore it. Take it back to the same places and people will get to enjoy seeing it before and after and appreciate how far it's come.

That would be cool.

Phil

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a cool truck. Good for you.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't over restore it. Drive the shit out of it. I like the 42-47 P/Us They look like trucks! I know I'm not in a big crowd but the feeling of driving an old P/U is priceless.

14. skinnydude

skinnydude

That truck looks in good shape , your story was very good. when you get around to start to do some work on the old girl it will definatally start to get the juices start to flow and i think you will really dig in . thanks

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Neat ol truck Chris!
    What's the story on the stabilizer straps bolted to the rear fenders-bed sides? Seems as though the fenders would tear if a heavy load shifted/fell hard against the bed side.

16. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Nice old truck. Usually when they sit that long the bed is filled up with a lot more junk than that one. I'd drive it like it is, just looks too cool!

17. No matter what kind of car is it, there's just something about a cherry, unmolested original car/truck... like a time capsule or something. I'm not a fan of those PU's either, but I'd a hopped on it like flies on stink! Good buy.

18. bigdaddyking

bigdaddyking

Chris, Great story. Can't wait to see the progress you make once you get settled in. Thanks for sharing

Rich

19. sololobo

sololobo

way to go Chris, what a cool rig, doesn't look as if a break out was ever attempted in the jail bar grille. Dig your plan man. ~sololobo~

20. daddio211

daddio211

Cool man, can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. Don't forget to take it back to show them the progress, cool story..........

22. I see lots of trucks that had them. It helped stabilize the rear fenders from "bouncing" around and cracking. A 1942 pickup my Brother bought had them...

[​IMG]

As well as a 34 pickup I bought earlier this year. My Dad owns this lil gem now.

[​IMG]

23. I was looking, and this ol 41 pickup my Dad owned years ago had them too. Must be a farm truck thing

[​IMG]

24. I will, I already promised the lady a ride :D

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you can't fix ugly...:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As Chris said a lot of trucks here in the PNW seem to have them. It must have been a pretty common fix back in the "day".

Nice truck Chris, that one had better be a keeper this time.

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

cool truck, cool story! I had a '46 PU a few years ago. A neighbor down the street bought it, so I don't have to go far to pay a visit!

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not sure of the color code, but that is the exact green they used to mold those plastic toy soldiers in.

29. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Congrats! Don't sell it, you will regret... ;)